What's new

MK1 Ninja Costume Pain Skin Glitches - AKA the Human Scorpion/Reptile/Ermac thread

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I dislike a few things about the MK1 ninja costumes.
1. There shouldn't be the quilted pattern, that wasn't there in MK1.
2. Why is Scorpion's skull on fire?? Is he Sweet Tooth???? Scorpion did not have a fire skull.
3. They aren't consistent with the characters default skin - when Scorpion's face gets ripped up in costume 1/2 it shows his skull. But, when MK1 Scorpion's face gets torn up, it shows flesh and blood instead of his skull. Same thing with Reptile instead of his reptile face, and then he takes his mask off the spit acid, and his real face is fine! Same thing with Ermac; flesh and blood instead of soul leakage.

Thus I have dubbed these skins "The Human Scorpion" and "The Human Reptile" and "The Human Ermac" skins.
Scorpion is clearly not a specter, he's not actually dead yet with this skin.

They only got Sub-Zero right, he was always a human, but they went and messed his voice up. He's not MK1 Sub Zero at all. :(
Bi Han is the best Sub Zero. Hematayu!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think that the scorpions skull was a hidden thing,you didn't really know he was a specter (at least what that meant for him) untill you'd done a fatality.

reptile as well.

IMO,it's mk9,let enough damage fully show the skull.

what i wouldn't like is having reptile show his face slowly,it's too big for the mask.

i don't think it would be much asking for ed boon to say get over here when klassik scorp.

and last but not least,why is klassik scorpion more buff than costume 1/2?what?did the new timeline starve him?

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Ed Boon's "Get Over Here" and "Come Here" were the best speech bytes ever in the MK games.
Kano's "Yeah!" and Cage's "Yeah!" are pretty sweet too.

What I miss the most though, is the MK1 announcer...Shang Tsung was so awesome in MK1.
Looked so bad ass, and made IMHO the best fighting game announcer ever.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The "quilted" ninja clothes were like that in MK1 as well, just with the technology they had for MK1 you cant really see the texture like you can in MK2. Not even the same exact materials, but its there in MK1 as well.

For the other stuff, man, chill out. its magic. lol you want that kind of reality i wouldnt bother with Mk. its just the way it is, i think your taking it way too serious. :)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The "quilted" ninja clothes were like that in MK1 as well, just with the technology they had for MK1 you cant really see the texture like you can in MK2. Not even the same exact materials, but its there in MK1 as well.

For the other stuff, man, chill out. its magic. lol you want that kind of reality i wouldnt bother with Mk. its just the way it is, i think your taking it way too serious. :)
Excuse me?taking things too seriously when we want story accurate costumes?For a game with such a great story which not many fighting games have it's dissapointing to see innacuracies in the basic costumes.

Not like it's hard to change subs audio to noobs.

or change the damage models to the regular outfits.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Changing the painskins would be hard. I've helped with the Duke3D HRP painskins, and it's not easy.
But it would be very easy to correct Sub Zero's audio profile by changing it to Bi-Han's. Then at least one classic costume would be 100% accurate (minus the quilting).

I very much disagree with Tim on the quilted ninja clothes in MK1. MK1 runs in the same resolution as MK2, on similar hardware, and apart from very light lines on Scorpions character select portrait, you can tell the digitized actor had absolutely no pattern on his costume.

I'm not taking it that serious, in fact I'm making light of it with The Human Scorpion nickname. : )
But that doesn't mean I don't notice or don't want to talk about it...

Tim Static

Adminerator
Excuse me?taking things too seriously when we want story accurate costumes?For a game with such a great story which not many fighting games have it's dissapointing to see innacuracies in the basic costumes.

Not like it's hard to change subs audio to noobs.

or change the damage models to the regular outfits.
Whoa, cowboy. Relax. Your missing my point entirely.

there has always been little inconsistencies with the game, and thats fine. it needs its cheese too. thats MK.

Changing the painskins would be hard. I've helped with the Duke3D HRP painskins, and it's not easy.
But it would be very easy to correct Sub Zero's audio profile by changing it to Bi-Han's. Then at least one classic costume would be 100% accurate (minus the quilting).

I very much disagree with Tim on the quilted ninja clothes in MK1. MK1 runs in the same resolution as MK2, on similar hardware, and apart from very light lines on Scorpions character select portrait, you can tell the digitized actor had absolutely no pattern on his costume.

I'm not taking it that serious, in fact I'm making light of it with The Human Scorpion nickname. : )
But that doesn't mean I don't notice or don't want to talk about it...
OK. First of all, you can see on the sprites the dull detail of a pattern on them. look harder. Second, ive seen behind the scenes pics where you can see the patterns. Again, not the same material as MK2, but its there. http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk1/subzero/#testyourmight

but yea the MK1 costumes are more of a mix of the 2.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
You can see the shoulder area, and the pattern from that shot of Scorp's face. Yep. It's the only evidence I've personally seen. Even the comics and art of the time portrayed straight yellow/blue fabric, and no quilt pattern. It's not important though.

I guess if anything positive can be gained in this thread apart from The Human Scorpion/The Human Ermac nicknames, it would be fixing the voice palette on MK1 Sub Zero so that it's actually Bi-Han.

Tim Static

Adminerator
You can see the shoulder area, and the pattern from that shot of Scorp's face. Yep. It's the only evidence I've personally seen. Even the comics and art of the time portrayed straight yellow/blue fabric, and no quilt pattern. It's not important though.

I guess if anything positive can be gained in this thread apart from The Human Scorpion/The Human Ermac nicknames, it would be fixing the voice palette on MK1 Sub Zero so that it's actually Bi-Han.
i forgot for a second you could see their shoulders, but either way, those are more "painted" than digital pics. fyi.

aj1701

Noob

there has always been little inconsistencies with the game, and thats fine. it needs its cheese too. thats MK.

OK. First of all, you can see on the sprites the dull detail of a pattern on them. look harder. Second, ive seen behind the scenes pics where you can see the patterns. Again, not the same material as MK2, but its there. http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk1/subzero/#testyourmight

Good eye. those are pics of the fmv from the mk1 attract mode right?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

didn't mean to come off aggressively,just saying that i'm not taking it serious just about some lousy costumes,just agreeing and adding nice little things to fix.

@Pimp,couldn't you just use the models from the costumes,replace the costumes and keep the damage models?

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
didn't mean to come off aggressively,just saying that i'm not taking it serious just about some lousy costumes,just agreeing and adding nice little things to fix.

@Pimp,couldn't you just use the models from the costumes,replace the costumes and keep the damage models?
I'm not sure if there's pain models, those could certainly be re-used with ease, but there are also pain skins specific to each costume. So you'd have to edit the MK1 painskin in the right eye area for Reptile, Ermac, and especially Scorpion to make it look like Scorpion/Reptiles mask was just torn, revealing their true faces...and you'd have to add soul leakage to all of Ermac's gore.
It wouldn't be the easiest job ever.

More over there's certain states of all the painskins, so you'd have to copy the edits over to the proper states.