What's new

Mk Rest Days

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Needed? Important? Logical? What's your opinion?
I find myself doing much better after not playing for a complete day. Anything more I lose my touch. When I play again, my hands feel nice and good, and my thumbs have recovered from the dullness of continuously mashing buttons. So tell me, what's your ritual when it comes to MK9 training. Do you think playing too much can negatively impact your game? I would like to know the communities opinion.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Needed? Important? Logical? What's your opinion?
I find myself doing much better after not playing for a complete day. Anything more I lose my touch. When I play again, my hands feel nice and good, and my thumbs have recovered from the dullness of continuously mashing buttons. So tell me, what's your ritual when it comes to MK9 training. Do you think playing too much can negatively impact your game? I would like to know the communities opinion.
You defnitely dont want to over do it. After every major tournament I always give myself a few days off, just to clear my head and not think about the game for quick one. And before EVO I had REO and Tom Brady living in my house for like a week straight so all we did was play MK9 day and night.(Well them at night mostly lol) I was burnt out hardcore after that and I didnt touch the game for about a week after that. To much of anything, even MK isnt a good thing.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
I think its good to take a day or at the least a 12 hour + period off mk for example. You can use that time to read up and pick up new strats or at the same time go out and enjoy the sun light lol. It's always good to break the monotony. It's like being a boxer or a MMA fighter if you over train you can strain yourself out and pretty much end up preforming like crap.

Mr. Rager

Mr. IhaveacrushonBi-Han
I'm one of those examples of people who play non-stop, and its horrible. don't do it. lol I'll completely burn myself out. it gets so bad i just have to put the controller down and force quit. Then come back after acouple hours and I'll play ten times better.

I mainly play online a lot. This says enough. Of course I take breaks. Long breaks, sometimes days at a time. Playing online in this game is a sure fire way to drive yourself mad.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Yeah i gotta start taking days off more. Before Mk I was actually more into playable fiction (vgs) for the artistic, life analytical side, and would rpg like crazy. I should have an of day or two to where the only playable fiction I play is Fallout 3 to fully complete it for example lol.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Oh Wassup Rob are you that tall dude that looks like a bouncer with the stick? I think I may have seen you in Gamers Edge. Oh and yeah I noticed that my reaction time gets better after:
1.A days rest
2. Not Playing at night
3. Stretching my hands and body
4. Exercising (Suprisingly?)

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
4. Exercising (Suprisingly?)
Nope excersizing is great for overall well being. Gets blood pumping and flowing. Great for alot of things seemingly unrelated to excersize. If your really tired from it tho it can be a bother.

RebelzPlague

I like to think I'm good.
I usually play 2-3 hours a day, stop for five hours, and I personally focus on something else that I wanna work on or get back to.

- I play a puzzle game like echochrome, to get my mind moving more than my hands.
- I'm trying to get back into Soul Caliber (the latest and only 1 i own is SCII)
- Or I just focus on my writing or watching some anime.

Then boom, back to MK. A break is needed to get better in anything.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
See the thing is after a while I get hand cramps (Arthritis maybe) and it just pisses me off. I also do a lot of work on computers and monitors that pertain to school and work. So, my eyes become increasingly irritated. I just wanted to know what you guys do and feel about resting and it's benefits on training.

Also - How do you guys feel about playing both ps3 pad and xbox pad? For some reason my hand coordination is better after I play with a 360pad and play on my ps3 lol. Weirdly enough.

Also i believe exercise helps because it releases endorphins (feel good feeling) that help stabilize the nerves.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Though this topic is kind of dead I will add my two cents. I have played guitar since the end of my freshman year in high school (2003). A day off is a big benefit in anything you are trying to get really good at. I used to play seven days a week when I started out. Now I play 6. I spend 6 days absorbing new things and challenging myself to learn things I didn't know before, and then I take a day to just do whatever. After I come back from my day off I find I am almost always better than I was before. Muscles get tired, and even the mind itself gets tired of thinking of the same things over and over. A nice break is good for any of us, in whatever we do.