What's new

MK is a game about setups, NOT combo damage

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Getting really sick of seeing all these combo videos that go in for the highest damage possible with no regards to how safe the string they're using is, the impossible situation that would require the combo to even happen and doesn't even setup a situation where you'll be in an advantage after the combo

You should really look for setups and the best way of playing your character first, combo damage is just a nice bonus.
I agree the set up is almost always more important than the damage, but MK is still very much about combo damage. You wan't to set up best you can, but you wan't to do it with the most damage possible. Every percent matters in this game and causes your opponent to play accordingly. Setting up for a vortex is better than going for 5% more damage, but you still try to optimize the set up combo to produce the highest number possible, that's why people were trying to cram in as many standing 1s as humanly possible during JC and Jax combos. In the grand scheme they're equally important and both need to be incorporated into combos at their full potential.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Getting really sick of seeing all these combo videos that go in for the highest damage possible with no regards to how safe the string they're using is, the impossible situation that would require the combo to even happen and doesn't even setup a situation where you'll be in an advantage after the combo

You should really look for setups and the best way of playing your character first, combo damage is just a nice bonus.
To paraphrase 16 Bit, who the fuck is Hi Im Brandon?

Any time a game comes out, people look for combos. And there are plenty of setup threads being created. It's the first week.
Combo threads are incredibly important, especially because when you hit your opponent, you need to make it count. Not just high damage, but reliable combos without execution barriers.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I can do that in a day
since you can do things in a day why couldn't you record a video using your xbox1 or ps4 in full hd and then talk over it using your mic after you recorded it then upload it to youtube rather than use a shitty cell phone video? surely you had your console more than a day :p

ur not even answering anyone's concerns to your statements but irrelevant snippets. you still didn't respond to all of my post but the injustice stuff and SOME stuff yes did carry over. that game also had multiple level interactions and it was just a totally different ball of wax.

Sage-Of-Light

Student of Nature

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
No... but seriously @Hi Im Brandon if you can't produce any setups, then why make the thread? To rant?
It's mainly a reaction to the fact that a lot of people are posting "BnBs" which start with highly impractical starters and burn 2-3 bars.

The definition of "Bread and Butter" is a standard combo, which you can do generally with a bar or less, which starts with one of your go-to typical combo starters.

I can understand where he's coming from here, and several of us have had to correct this in our character forums.

So you want people to learn the thing that takes months to years as a game is explored within the first week instead of the easiest part of the game that takes a couple of days?

You can learn both at once. If you're not thinking about the metagame as soon as you start playing, you're getting behind. MKX actually gives you the fucking frame data on day 1. All he's saying is that practicing impractical combos is a waste of time and, even worse, it's drilling bad habits so you'll miss opportunities for damage down the road. He's got the mindset that wins matches. If you're just trying to be a training room monster, then disregard...

VOR

Noob
The combo videos are supposed to show the potential damage and how the combo mechanics work. It is an important aspect for the community to pursue to find potential issues. It is also apart of the metagame, since some characters may not be mixup heavy, but better as punishers. Both are important. Don't like it? Don't watch. Setups take longer to flesh out over time and may be matchup specific. Be patient.

The thing about setups for me is how exactly do I thoroughly test them in a day? I posted a liu kang setup knowing fully that it may not work but i couldnt test it myself. I still say it's about both. Setups get you to the combo damage which if big enough will win the match

NurzBenny

Old Member
A 47 percent one bar jax combo I saw in an "impratical combo video" thread is what took him from a pet project to my co-main again. I already had the meta fleshed out. They're both important. And a "set up" sounds even more limiting. I think I know what the OP meant, in more so a general gameplan and optimal ranges, footsie tools, etc. But a set up in and of itself sounds even less useful than a combo thread, what happens when they get out? or delay their wake up. How do you knock them down to begin with. Games don't start with your opponent in a 50/50

The more combo threads, the more advanced meta threads the better.

D

Deleted member 9158

You seem a little misguided OP. Combo damage is just as important as set ups, as it's the set ups that lead to high damaging combos. You are going to have a hard time beating someone who consistently lands 40% combos off of his mix ups when you're hjtting 20%. Just food for thought