What's new

MK: Armageddon Parry System Explained by REO

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
A Mortal Kombat game long forgotten is on the brink of being revived from the dead... Mortal Kombat Armageddon. It's one of the our histories less-popular titles in a case where you either like the game or can't stand it. Regardless, it's one of the 3D games so keep that in mind. With this being said, REO is bringing to light a vital part of the game that many likely did not know about and that is how the parry system works.

REO demonstrates how knowing how the parry system works can make your skill level in Mortal Kombat Armageddon go up on a more competitive level. If you've never tried this game out, it's strongly suggested as it holds the largest roster of any Mortal Kombat game.

Attachments

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
This game had a universal parry system? That's strange...

Also my god the animations, and why is that woman wearing like an assless skirt?

REO

Undead
This was honestly the last thing I would think to see on the frontpage since no one gives a shit about MKA. I basically made this video because the servers for MKA came back up a month ago and there's discussion about the game again in the MKA forum. Thanks for frontpaging this, STORMS. LOL. Memories.

Edit: If anyone has any requests on a character breakdown or whataver, I could do it while my memory is still somewhat keen on the game.

Matix218

Get over here!
Thanks Reo, I want to try to learn to play this game so it stops collecting dust on my shelf lol. That nip tech is cool!

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
This was honestly the last thing I would think to see on the frontpage since no one gives a shit about MKA. I basically made this video because the servers for MKA came back up a month ago and there's discussion about the game again in the MKA forum. Thanks for frontpaging this, STORMS. LOL. Memories.

Edit: If anyone has any requests on a character breakdown or whataver, I could do it while my memory is still somewhat keen on the game.
well, if youre taking requests i wouldnt mind a break down of Hotaru. Hes the only character i actually liked that was introduced in those later 3d games and itd be interesting to see what hes capable of in the right hands, since when i played the game i had no knowledge of fighting games and i was content with uppercut punishes.

REO

Undead
Some of you should channel your hate to other fighting games that aren't MK (if you have to). I know generally within MK the 2D MK players hate 3D MK, and the 3D MK players hate 2D MK. You even have many OG players of the scene who hate on MK9 because it's not true "digitized actors". All of this hate on one another's personal preference on MK is pointless and brings down the community at the end of the day.

MKD and MKA had many players who became part of the community back then who are well known in today's MK scene. People like STORMS, Gerchap, THTB, DanCock, m2dave, Check, Pig of the hut, Riu48, etc. The list goes on. Without the 3D MK games, some of these players wouldn't have been drawn into the community as deep enough to develop a strong bond within the community.

I must be a rare exception since I like and enjoy playing all MK games, but the hate on one anothers games is the dumbest thing I've seen. Just play whatever MK game you like whether it's MK1 or MK9. I'm pleasantly surprised some players are interested in learning MKA, you guys should visit the MKA forum for more information.

REO

Undead
Gengar, I can do Hotaru when I have time. So far most of the requests I've gotten are Sub-Zero and Scorpion (lol), next to Sareena and Drahmin.

Other than Sareena, who is the viable in this game?
The top three is debatable between Sareena, Dairou, and Drahmin all fighting for rank 1-3. Then you have Blaze and Jade RIGHT after them. This is all considering no rules, of course.

REO Can you breakdown Scorpion? Also, this would mean that no close move is truly safe correct? Are there moves that can't be parried? Does this make the game favor zoning?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
REO Can you breakdown Scorpion? Also, this would mean that no close move is truly safe correct? Are there moves that can't be parried? Does this make the game favor zoning?
Check here for a brief summary of Scorp: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mka-character-summaries.24730/#post-567373

Every attack in the game is punishable on block...some less than others. I believe every string can theoretically be parried if the hits are parriable. It comes down to reactions, though. The game favors good spacing, because not every character can straight up punish things that are spaced due to pushback.

Tang94

Confirmed Seeker
REO
Is there any chance that you might play this or any of the other 3D MKs on Phil's 24 hour stream? That'd be pretty interesting!

REO

Undead
You are in luck since just about everyone and their mother has requested Scorpion and Sub-Zero. They will be the first ones done, then I will move onto the next popular ones.

There are some moves that cannot be parried. An example being most lows in the game like Scorpion f+3. The game is heavily relied on spacing and footsies. While two of the top three characters do have very strong zoning traits, Drahmin is more on the rushdown side.

REO
Is there any chance that you might play this or any of the other 3D MKs on Phil's 24 hour stream? That'd be pretty interesting!
Quite possibly. I know Phil's stream will definitely be featuring MK1, MK2, UMK,3 MK4, and MK9. I will ask him about it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I honestly did not know about the parry jump. Figures that my 2 week venture into the game would allow me to miss such a thing.

Check here for a brief summary of Scorp: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mka-character-summaries.24730/#post-567373

Every attack in the game is punishable on block...some less than others. I believe every string can theoretically be parried if the hits are parriable. It comes down to reactions, though. The game favors good spacing, because not every character can straight up punish things that are spaced due to pushback.
It's very common in 3d fighters for jabs to be plus on block. Even jabs are negative?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter

Simply put, if people hate this game... they can stay out of this article.

The point of this article is that this is very useful information regarding MKA.

I personally hate the 'air kombat' in this game, but I'm not about shit on the game when there are people who enjoy playing it.

Tang94

Confirmed Seeker
Simply put, if people hate this game... they can stay out of this article.

The point of this article is that this is very useful information regarding MKA.

I personally hate the 'air kombat' in this game, but I'm not about shit on the game when there are people who enjoy playing it.
I just think it would be interesting to see alot of the top players that we've been watching on streams playing predominantly MK9 playing some of these "older" MKs. Of course I wasn't impressed with the 3d MKs just as alot of people here, but by the same token, I've never seen it being played at a high level. I think it all could be really interesting to have these games revived by our top players! :)