What's new

Match-up Discussion Mileena Matchup Discussion Thread

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Updated Chart. my opinions of course

Mileena vs:

Baraka: 5/5
Cyber Sub-Zero: 6/4 (according to Pig of the Hut)
Cyrax: 6/4 (debate w/ Konqrr & Pig of the Hut)
Ermac: 4.5/5.5
Freddy Kreuger: 5.5/4.5
Jade: 5/5
Jax: 4/6
Johnny Cage: 5/5
Kabal: 4/6
Kano: 6/4
Kenshi: 4/6
Kitana: 5/5
Kung Lao: 4/6
Liu Kang: 5/5
Nightwolf: 6/4
Noob Saibot: 5/5
Quan Chi: 6/4 (according to Shujinkydink and Pig of the Hut)
Raiden: 4/6 (debate w/ Pig of the Hut and B W1zZ)
Rain: 4.5/5.5
Reptile: 6/4
Scorpion: 5/5
Sektor: 5.5/4.5
Shang Tsung: 5.5/4.5
Sheeva: 7/3
Sindel: 6/4
Skarlet: 4.5/5.5
Smoke: 4.5/5.5
Sonya Blade: 4/6
Stryker: 5.5/4.5
Sub-Zero: 5/5

Mileena is slowly becoming figured out, Remember when people thought she was top 3? top 5? top 10 even?
I hope you keep posting because I feel this is the most accurate matchup chart that has been made for Mileena so far.

like the look of the chart zero

can i ask your opinions on the 6/4 vs cyrax match, this matchup still gives me major problems,
dont get to play it as much as id like offline

the noob saibot match has become an annoyance lately also
Noob is a crap shoot, hence the 5/5. Either Mileena is pressuring him to guess wrong or Noob's pressuring her to guess wrong. Online it's 6/4 Noob.

Cyrax loses to Mileena at every point on the screen except point blank range. His normals are better (faster) than hers and random point blank net has a weird hitbox. (Though I don't know why Cyrax players do this since it's free rolls on block...)

At mid range or farther, she can just iAS him to death, punish his teleport attempts, or just telekick on reaction to his chest opening up for nets and bombs. Even if she gets caught in a net in midair, he doesn't get as much damage off that so she can save meter to break. (She should never need her EN moves in this matchup.)

Of course, Cyrax still has retarded damage output so any mistake can turn the match in his favor again, but tools wise he can't keep up with her.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
ZeroEffect said:
Updated Chart. my opinions of course

Mileena vs:

Freddy Kreuger: 5.5/4.5

Mileena is slowly becoming figured out, Remember when people thought she was top 3? top 5? top 10 even?
I wish Freddy only lost 4.5 games to Mileena. Every time I fight REO I get destroyed. The match up is at least 6:4 in Mileena's favor. You just have to learn to fight Freddy. I also believe the Kabal match up is even, and I do not see how she loses to Jax, Rain, Skarlet, and Smoke. I think you are severely underestimating the character. I would rather have two, or even three, 4.5 : 5.5 match ups than have one 3:7 match up. She would still be ranked high in my tier list. Top 10 definitely. Arguably top 5.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
She's can't touch Smoke at all dude...
No Sai options means she has to be hella risky for small rewards.

All which get punished by Smoke reset combos that do tons of damage.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
PimpUigi said:
She's can't touch Smoke at all dude...
No Sai options means she has to be hella risky for small rewards.

All which get punished by Smoke reset combos that do tons of damage.
So? Mileena has better footsies and better AAs than Smoke does. Besides, he cannot run away too long because of whiffed rolls and telekicks. If you guys want to experience Smoke entirely ruining a character's gameplay, play Stryker or Sindel vs Smoke.

Mileena is fine in most match ups. She is good, guys.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
So? Mileena has better footsies and better AAs than Smoke does. Besides, he cannot run away too long because of whiffed rolls and telekicks. If you guys want to experience Smoke entirely ruining a character's gameplay, play Stryker or Sindel vs Smoke.

:confused: Why does Smoke need to jump against her??

SZSR

Noob

Smoke can punish each option to reset the situation, i.e., Smoke blocked telekick gives with a free 21% combo and full screen spacing. Whiffed rolls I usually forward dash into and punish or punish with b2, 3 if they get close. Smoke can punish enhanced telekick too but it's a bit more tricky.

I wish Freddy only lost 4.5 games to Mileena. Every time I fight REO I get destroyed. The match up is at least 6:4 in Mileena's favor. You just have to learn to fight Freddy. I also believe the Kabal match up is even, and I do not see how she loses to Jax, Rain, Skarlet, and Smoke. I think you are severely underestimating the character. I would rather have two, or even three, 4.5 : 5.5 match ups than have one 3:7 match up. She would still be ranked high in my tier list. Top 10 definitely. Arguably top 5.
Maybe REO really is just that good? I dunno, never played the man. All I know is, I'm pulling everything out of this character that I can. I know she's good, but I just think she's not as good as everyone used to believe. When we talked before, I mentioned what she was missing that the better characters have.

Ok, I'll give you the Freddy matchup since you know it better than me, but when Jax gets in it's really hard for her. (EN Elbow is such a pain.) On paper, it probably looks like she zones him all day, but never once have I gotten it that way in practice.

- Rain does more damage off of every punish, that's what tips the scales in his favor. She has the tools to deal with him, sure, but because the damage difference is so much larger, as well as his own RH/EN RH pressure being a problem, he slightly has the edge imo.

-Skarlet has more screen control than Mileena does because of Blood Dash, and a nearly spammable teleport vs her. She also hits harder. Her footsie game isn't much worse than Mileena's since she can cancel into safe options on block/hit, kinda like Sonya. I only said 5.5/4.5 because again, all this is a very slight advantage.

- Smoke doesn't really have a lot on her, true, but honestly, neither does she. It should be a 5/5 if it weren't for the fact that risk/reward is slightly in favor of Smoke. he also has some of the best oki in the game after his knockdowns. This match plays like a 5/5, but he just has slightly better tools imo. Again, only slight.

Do you know if REO's Mileena destroys people who use Jax, Kabal, Smoke, and Skarlet? If so, then maybe she really is S-Tier and I'm just not as good with her.

EDIT: Changed Freddy Matchup to 6/4

Mileena vs:

Freddy Kreuger: 6/4 (according to m2dave)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
PimpUigi said:
:confused: Why does Smoke need to jump against her??
In my opinion, Mileena beats Smoke in footsies. d+4 out-ranges anything he has. As a solid anti-aerial attack and whiff punisher, there is nothing Smoke has that compares to Mileena's roll. I do not understand why Mileena is the character to take risks when she should dominate him at mid range.

subzerosmokerai said:
Smoke can punish each option to reset the situation, i.e., Smoke blocked telekick gives with a free 21% combo and full screen spacing. Whiffed rolls I usually forward dash into and punish or punish with b2, 3 if they get close. Smoke can punish enhanced telekick too but it's a bit more tricky.
You've entirely missed my point. I am not saying spam rolls and tele kicks. I am saying use these moves, particularly the roll, to advance forward if Smoke is turtling and running away. If Smoke is full screen away playing the hit'n'run game, many characters have to dash and block their way in. Mileena simply whiffs a roll and she is in.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Mileena is a very good character, the major flaw on her game, it's that where people start to spam their specials, in such short time, and underusing her footsie game approach and mix up close game ..... this way, making her predictable and very punishable .... in other hand, she has a natural 50/50 deadly combination (U+4, B+3+roll) mixed with D+4 that is serious amazing annoying to deal with, plus her telekick stun effect. I'm not being biased, but while she serious is not over the top, at the same time she is not less than top 10 in this game, I guess .... :huh:

Mileena x Skarlet, I suspect is a 6-4 in Mileena's favour .... a tied 5-5 in the worst scenario, anyway, I see Mileena having the upper hand in this match. Skarlet is reliant of burning meter in this match, while Mileena does not need none .... Mileena can connect a combo with almost everything she has, it only takes one mistake in enemy's defense, and Mileena can start a combo from a roll, a telekick, U+4, B+3, B+1,4 and so .... overall, this give Mileena a good advantage .... her IAS is annoying to deal with, and win against Skarlet in the air, in air projectiles war. Maybe I'm wrong, but since I main both characters, I see this matchup working more or less this way .... :wut:

A patient Mileena with good spacing and anti air game is worse than having a bad case of hemorrhoids. As for the Freddy matchup, perhaps he'd fare better against that female dog if we had an alternate costume, Bald Freddy. I mean, it has to be that damn hat that makes his hitbox gigantic.

What I think people sometimes overlook about Mileena is that no matter how strong it looks on paper, nobody can achieve "perfect" spacing with iAS, AA, and footsies. I play Mileena as patiently as I've seen anyone play her, even using backstep to D4 (which isn't easy to do) at mid range. Eventually people will get in, and she'll need more than that to get her damage. She's got her 50/50 once she gets a jiP, but against a lot of the cast she can't just put up a wall of spacing to consistently keep a good player out.

At some point you are forced to take risks to get back the life lead and sometimes it pays off. Other times, she gets punished. She also gets rushed down so easily it's not even funny. (Jax, Sonya, Cage, Kabal, KL etc) Lack of armor severely hurts her case for being in that S-tier category. She has amazing anti-zoning tools without meter use. You may win a round with perfect reads and patient D4 spacing, but unless your fighting Sub Zero or Reptile, or some other character that has trouble moving forward, it just won't happen as often.

Mileena x Skarlet, I suspect is a 6-4 in Mileena's favour .... a tied 5-5 in the worst scenario, anyway, I see Mileena having the upper hand in this match. Skarlet is reliant of burning meter in this match, while Mileena does not need none .... Mileena can connect a combo with almost everything she has, it only takes one mistake in enemy's defense, and Mileena can start a combo from a roll, a telekick, U+4, B+3, B+1,4 and so .... overall, this give Mileena a good advantage .... her IAS is annoying to deal with, and win against Skarlet in the air, in air projectiles war. Maybe I'm wrong, but since I main both characters, I see this matchup working more or less this way .... :wut:
Skarlet has a safe(ish) teleport that can be used in the air and can blow up iAS. (The only real punish Mil gets is a STANCE SPECIFIC Roll punish, which is pretty lame imo. Uppercut works too sometimes, but even that is tough to land.) She outdamages Mileena as well on punishes. She needs meter for armor dash, but she'll be building it back with her blockstrings, and even from taking damage. I agree Mileena has high comboability, and her footsies are better, which is why it's practically even. I just can't see how Mil wins when Skarlet has more dominating tools for controlling the screen once she gets even one bar.

SZSR

Noob
In my opinion, Mileena beats Smoke in footsies. d+4 out-ranges anything he has. As a solid anti-aerial attack and whiff punisher, there is nothing Smoke has that compares to Mileena's roll. I do not understand why Mileena is the character to take risks when she should dominate him at mid range.

You've entirely missed my point. I am not saying spam rolls and tele kicks. I am saying use these moves, particularly the roll, to advance forward if Smoke is turtling and running away. If Smoke is full screen away playing the hit'n'run game, many characters have to dash and block their way in. Mileena simply whiffs a roll and she is in.
I didn't mention spam moves in the situation, but full screen, Mileena is quite limited to what she can do to get in. In a sense, it's predictable and Smoke can cash in on this if he knows the rights punishes for the situation. That's what makes the matchup 5-5. Full screen he has good enough punishes to reset the situation and get his own damage in.

Going on your conversation with Pimpuigi, I agree that Mileena dominates Smoke mid range. It becomes more of a guessing game since she's in range to d+4, u+4, or AA punish a potential jump-in by Smoke. And what he has to counter :)en Shake, his own footsies, or his long ranged b2, 3) can be fished and punished accordingly. Pig's Mileena destroyed me by keeping mid-range against me and I really couldn't do anything to stay out.

London Lust

Lagleena Player
I need help with the Kitana matchup ._. every mistake I make I get blown up with a 40% combo. I try zoning her but it doesn't work out for too long. and I don't know what to do when Kitana is rushing me down, especially in the corner.

Help ;_;

First, why would you jump against mileena if you were smoke? Second, any dialed string he has out prioritizes D4. At further range he can hit D4 with a teleport. At max range he can just smoke screen, teleport, or parry any sai.

Mileena's normals are all way to slow to compete with smoke. That's the biggest reason why smoke destroys her. If you are close to each other at all, smoke can just keep dialing in strings because none of mileena's specials or wakeups have armor and smoke's launch string starts up faster than ANY normal Mileena has.

People give roll wWAY to much credit. The hit priority on it is terrible. There's no risk for smoke to just smokescreen in on her and start dialing away. What's she gonna do? get hit out of her roll? telekick and wiff because smoke's strings move him too far forward, try to blpoke a blocked string just to get out prioritized by anything?

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Why is Jax 4/6, I kind of don't agree with this.

If Mileena uses enough footsies and pokes, you shouldn't have many problems vs a Jax.

Just don't jump in like an idiot against him

PimpUigi

Sex Kick

If Mileena uses enough footsies and pokes, you shouldn't have many problems vs a Jax.

I agree. This is how I feel about Mileena vs Jax.

Jumping in like an idiot is pretty much bad against anyone unless you're Kitana.

You really can't outzone Jax anymore. Yeah D4, footsies, frame traps, all that. But armor blows through that nonsense. Playing a footsie based game here allows him to outdamage you. His rushdown isn't quite Johnny Cage's or Sonya's, but it's good enough. also how does Mileena fare in the corner against him?

I need help with the Kitana matchup ._. every mistake I make I get blown up with a 40% combo. I try zoning her but it doesn't work out for too long. and I don't know what to do when Kitana is rushing me down, especially in the corner.

Help ;_;
Depends on what mistakes you're making. Although this matchup is kinda dumb since lack of armor again makes her retardedly vulnerable to rush down. Kitana's D1 is basically twice as fast and almost the same range as Mileena's D4 so you can guess who wins there.

How is Kitana getting in? If she's dash blocking don't be afraid to throw out some lows like D4, D3, B3 etc to keep them in check from time to time. If you knock Kitana down, she really doesn't have a wakeup attack that hits you crouching, so you can D3 her on the ground for free. Fan Cutter can be ducked under/rolled under or you can use D4 to get under it when you're expecting to see it. Or you can just duck without blocking and uppercut punish it.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
The only armor move that you really need to be scared of against jax is his overhead, you shouldn't really be getting hit by bionic arm if you're up in his face. If you're in his face d3ing and dashing in after you have nothing to be worried about.

Jax in the corner is still scary, regardless of the characters, I think Mileena may have kind of an easy time with this, with ex roll and ex tele kick to get out.

I wasn't put into the corner when I played CD Jr so I can't really tell you.

The only armor move that you really need to be scared of against jax is his overhead, you shouldn't really be getting hit by bionic arm if you're up in his face. If you're in his face d3ing and dashing in after you have nothing to be worried about.

Jax in the corner is still scary, regardless of the characters, I think Mileena may have kind of an easy time with this, with ex roll and ex tele kick to get out.

I wasn't put into the corner when I played CD Jr so I can't really tell you.
Bionic arm only hits me out of backstep or ias on occasion. I'm mainly talking about armor overhead. Jax F4 beats dash-in D3, if you get too carried away with it. (Dash adds frames to D3)

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Yes you're right about this, and armor overhead is the only thing Mileena really needs to worry about.

I believe in no way should you be wanting to hit high in that matchup, you really need to poke and train him to block low.

I like to do d3 into 42 and see what they do, a smart player will either poke you out because they know the frames, or will just eat the same thing over and over, or jump out which puts us at advantage.

In Jax's case, if you do this, you'll get blown up when he knows you're going to do it a second time, every single time. You need to somehow manage to get in a u4 when he thinks you're only going to be hitting low, albeit this isn't very easy at all because being in Jax's face is pretty scary.

Getting some IAS' on him is good, but once he starts dash blocking into you or is about half screen away from you forget it, you're going to eat a punch every single time.

Edit: Also i'm trying to get more involved in sharing my opinions on matchups and overall everything with Mileena seeing as now I have experience.

I'd really like to try and get a detailed matchup chart for Mileena vs every character in the game, which I will try to start working on shortly

Yes you're right about this, and armor overhead is the only thing Mileena really needs to worry about.

I believe in no way should you be wanting to hit high in that matchup, you really need to poke and train him to block low.

I like to do d3 into 42 and see what they do, a smart player will either poke you out because they know the frames, or will just eat the same thing over and over, or jump out which puts us at advantage.

In Jax's case, if you do this, you'll get blown up when he knows you're going to do it a second time, every single time. You need to somehow manage to get in a u4 when he thinks you're only going to be hitting low, albeit this isn't very easy at all because being in Jax's face is pretty scary.

Getting some IAS' on him is good, but once he starts dash blocking into you or is about half screen away from you forget it, you're going to eat a punch every single time.
Yup. All this sounds like a disadvantage in the matchup to me. Jax is worried about low pokes and 6% sai.... Mil is worried about half screen dash punch, armor, pokes that lead to combos that are also heavy advantage on block... pretty much half of Jax's moveset.

I'd really like to try and get a detailed matchup chart for Mileena vs every character in the game, which I will try to start working on shortly
I thought that's what the previous chart was for... nothing wrong with us sharing opinions and what not, but wouldn't multiple charts for the same thing get to be too much?