What's new

Match-up numbers

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
I regularly see people state things like "there are no 8-2 MUs in this game, every MU is winnable".
Well, an 8-2 MU score indicates that out of 10 matches the disadvantaged character would win 2.
An un-winnable MU would have to be scored as a 10-0.

MU scores are supposed to be distilled from the collected statistics of hundreds of matches between players using the characters to their highest potential AND playing the character correctly for the MU.

So can people quit this nonsense of bandying numbers around that they pulled out of their arses and trying to justify them with a handful of tech details that they probably haven't even tested properly.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
how's that possible?if it's played perfectly then the superior character will always win,mu numbers are tools that one character can ovecome or render useless.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
Because there are many times when you have to guess what your opponent will do next. A stacked MU is one where the risk/rewards of the guessing scenarios that regularly occur within a MU (eg Will Cage use f3 or d3 next? Do I poke the f3 or block the d3?) are heavily in one characters favour. But if the disadvantaged character guesses right enough times more than their opponent the sum of the damage they delivered through these scenarios will be greater than the sum of the damage they took.

The problem is accurate statistics get muddled with players simply getting outplayed and blaming the matchup. The only way to get a true rating is to separate the two....good luck with that. Until then matchup ratings are just a fun thing to debate.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
The problem is accurate statistics get muddled with players simply getting outplayed and blaming the matchup. The only way to get a true rating is to separate the two....good luck with that. Until then matchup ratings are just a fun thing to debate.
Yeah, I guess the thing is these debates irk me, now I've vented I'm all good though.