What's new

Match data, Online, Kombat League format - Discussions, hopes and dreams

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So far the game seems good, thrilling, considering i had no idead where they were going to take the game after MK11, the changes are definitely interesting, now that we know about, i wanted to have a discussion on what you guys expect for the match data, and the kombat league format.

For starters, let me tell you that match data, was my favorite feature in MK11, it tells literally anything about the match in detail, it could tell the total of hits, the percentage of the amounts of highs, lows mids and even throws you have landed, the times you flawless blocked anything, the quantity of projectiles used, the combo damage, all the little things.

That amount of data used to be interesting, because futher i could use this to explore areas where i usually lack in the game, and see matches through a microscope, so i'm definitely expecting NRS to double down on this feacture but with even more things to dive into like for example:

Total amount of times buttons were pressed/ landed strikes
whiff punishment time reaction (to registry the amount of frames has passed from a moment a move whiffed to the time a button was pressed to punish it)
Overhead reaction time (If character is crouching, the amount of frames it took from the moment an overhead animation started, until the time the defender stood up to block it)
the amount of throw breaks/land throws
The mount of jumps
The amount of up blocks

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
If not delete, my topic would fit here.
I hope while searching for players online, I can actually do it in training mode like all fighting games do these days.

I hope while searching for players online, I can actually do it in training mode like all fighting games do these days.
It would be pretty shit if they don't considering that seems to be the norm these days.

Dumbest thing ever that you literally can't do anything while the game is looking for other players. At least they could have let you modify your player card thing in MK11.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I’d love some kind of data that shows % of available damage, or the difference between potential “optimal “ damage and the damage a player actually does.

For example if there was an opportunity to punish an opponent and a player did a 25% combo when they could have done a 35% combo. Or if a punish was just flat out missed.

Also would love to see data on how often a player hit a button while negative/positive.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I’d love some kind of data that shows % of available damage, or the difference between potential “optimal “ damage and the damage a player actually does.

For example if there was an opportunity to punish an opponent and a player did a 25% combo when they could have done a 35% combo. Or if a punish was just flat out missed.

Also would love to see data on how often a player hit a button while negative/positive.
that would be amazing.
my opening thread was supposed to cover most of the match data, what they could possibly bring as well as having things that members already brought up on following posts like, being able to practice and hop on online from any mode, having character specific ranks.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper

Like the idea, but it'd be hard to implement. It probably would have worked in MK11 since the combo routes were so limited. But I'm still seeing a few new combos being discovered in MKX to this day, and it's been out 8 years. And now with Kameos added to the mix, how would they even start to list out optimal combos and conversions? Plus maybe this person didn't want to spend that bar to do an extra 5% damage in that particular situation, instead opting to keep their breaker available

Not to mention they'd need updated with every single patch throughout the game's lifespan

I think it'd be awesome, don't get me wrong. Just don't see how it would ever be feasible

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Like the idea, but it'd be hard to implement. It probably would have worked in MK11 since the combo routes were so limited. But I'm still seeing a few new combos being discovered in MKX to this day, and it's been out 8 years. And now with Kameos added to the mix, how would they even start to list out optimal combos and conversions? Plus maybe this person didn't want to spend that bar to do an extra 5% damage in that particular situation, instead opting to keep their breaker available

Not to mention they'd need updated with every single patch throughout the game's lifespan

I think it'd be awesome, don't get me wrong. Just don't see how it would ever be feasible
Yes, there'd be some obvious limits to the utility of the metric. You could potentially have players geting 110% optimal damage if they find a better combo than the one the game is programmed to think is optimal. And it can't account for outside factors like screen position or setups causing a player to choose to end a combo early.

To me, it raises in interesting question: Can AI learn combos? They do have AI fighters, are those pre-programmed with combos?