What's new

Question Making Threads for Attacks' Hit Levels

Seapeople

This one's for you
This is just an idea that popped into my head. I think it could be useful to make a thread in each character forum showing all of their attacks' hit levels (high, low, overhead, true mid, special mid). It would also be important to show how an attack can hit differently against the different sized character hitboxes, and add details to show how that attack hits against every character.

I know this would be a really great reference for myself and probably lots of other people. Would anyone be willing to gather this info for their main character?

Seapeople

This one's for you
What's the difference between true mid and special mid? I like this idea, btw

Some forums already have this info in guides, like Jade and Noob, however.
If I'm remembering correctly, true mids will hit opponents crouch blocking and neutral crouching, but special mids will whiff against neutral crouch.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I'm working on this for Sub Zero now. This is the terminology that I'm basing his strings off of...

Low: Breaks through the opponent's guard when they are blocking high.
Overhead: Breaks through the opponent's guard when they are blocking low.
Unblockable: Breaks through the opponent's guard whether they are blocking high or low.
High: Whiffs against opponents who are neutral crouching or crouch blocking.
True Mid: Does not whiff if the opponent is neutral crouching or crouch blocking.
Special Mid: Whiffs against opponents who are neutral crouching, but doesn't whiff if they are crouch blocking.
Various: Some attacks will change based on the character you are fighting against. This is because every character has a different sized hitbox.
*For attacks that are various, I'm showing which characters it hits high against/true mid against/special mid against.
Jails: If this attack hits the opponent while they are blocking high, the next hit of the blockstring will not whiff even it is a high or special mid.

this is one of the most important things in MK. people are oblivious to the importance of a mid and a high.

Kung lao:

standing 2: hits high, whiffs on neutral crouch and connect on crouch block against all characters but sektor and mileena. will connect on characters like cage, kitana, kung lao, jax if spaced correctly.
standing 1: hits high, whiffs on neutral crouch, all hits will connect on high hitbox characters, partly whiffs on smaller hitboxes like reptile, cyrax and sonya, all hits but 2 will whiff on characters like cage, mileena, kitana etc.( If I recall)

BTW: I recommend you make an organised list of this thread with all the info you gathered.

Having a fast enough mid hitting string means you can actually follow up the advantage of your pokes, which is one of the reasons why cage's f3 is so good. having a 10 frame or faster mid hitting string also means you can punish pokes on block, which is something some characters cant do at all.