What's new

Liu Kang Dragon Stance

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Been playing a bit of him lately, and think I've found a use for the stance other than making a cool corner combo

If you're against KL and he teleports, on reaction you can go into the dragon stance and press 1, the stance will put you out of reach of all of his attacks if timed properly and launch him as a punish you can then get a 35% punisher on it.

Trying to use it against ranged jumps aswell seems to work

Anybody else got any other uses for it?

Theme

Noob
I was always wondering what this move is really used for besides combo finishers or cool mix ups. This sounds good so far.

Thanks for posting this foxy. You mention you used this against jumps; does dragon stance 1 beat out jump kicks? I feel like the jump kick would win in that situation but I haven't tested it.

Also I posted this in another thread but dragon stance 3 is noteworthy because it's the only one of Liu Kang's overheads that will hit someone who is playing dead. f3 and the last hit of 213 will both miss, but dragon stance 3 hits.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
yea his dragon stance would be alot better if you could end combo strings with it, like sonya's military stance. its kinda hard to figure out what to do with it just standing there lol. people usually back away from you as soon as you do it

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Dragon stance -> 3 = GODLY! Also good for OTG on those who try to stay down.

Been using dragon stance a lot more now to fake out my opponent after I finish a corner combo and mix ups. I also use it to bait out projectiles.

when i play kang i follow up pokes into dragon stance if through it out at mid range to use 1 for anti-air purposes or choose to fireball.

swag1

EX smash solves all
I like using 1 1 1, Dragon Stance. On hit puts them in a stagger, not sure what it is on block, need a frame data thread for block/hit.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
As far as practical wats goes, I use it after b1 low fire ball on hit as a sweet anti air with DS1.
After a few low fire balls, I have been canceling into more low fire balls, works really well.

But apart from that:

Trolling random online Mileena/KL players at the Fatality stages, and being a cool bastard after corner combos with a DS 3, or canceling into b312

But when I want to bethe coolest guy on the planet against non teleporting opponents, full screen with Meter, I do DS, bait a projectile, and then :ex fly kick. That is sure to get you a 10 in KOTH.

you can backdash extremely fast using dragon stance cancelling im thinking vs certain chars spamming dragon stance for footsies along with fireballs is very appropriate especially without autocorrect for teleporters, only issue is u cant block, it gives u so many options his sweep and his 2 have so much reach u can fireball and aa with 1 or just dash cancel forward for quick pressure i think its a mindfuck / great oki tool his speed is rediculous

you can backdash extremely fast using dragon stance cancelling im thinking vs certain chars spamming dragon stance for footsies along with fireballs is very appropriate especially without autocorrect for teleporters, only issue is u cant block, it gives u so many options his sweep and his 2 have so much reach u can fireball and aa with 1 or just dash cancel forward for quick pressure i think its a mindfuck / great oki tool his speed is rediculous
I'm pretty sure DS + backdash cancel makes liu kang move backwards across the screen faster than anyone else in the game, with smoke drift being the only real competition. It goes twice as far as a normal backdash. That's not much use though either, since your opponent will just throw a projectile at you and you wont be able to block in time.

I'm pretty sure DS + backdash cancel makes liu kang move backwards across the screen faster than anyone else in the game, with smoke drift being the only real competition. It goes twice as far as a normal backdash. That's not much use though either, since your opponent will just throw a projectile at you and you wont be able to block in time.
u can projectile yourself

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
DS backdash = Lei's haha step in Tekken. Gives him one of the best retreating options in the game.

swag1

EX smash solves all
I really think that the Dragon Stance should be made buffer-able in the latest hotfix. I mean, why can't his be when Sonya and Freddy's stances can be. They all have high/medium/low/launcher mixups, so what's the deal? Please fix NRS.

I really think that the Dragon Stance should be made buffer-able in the latest hotfix. I mean, why can't his be when Sonya and Freddy's stances can be. They all have high/medium/low/launcher mixups, so what's the deal? Please fix NRS.
Why should a competitively viable character get any buffs?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Because Sonya doesnt have a low combo starter, or an overhead combo starter so she can cancel into another move. I think thats the logic behind it

THTB

Freddy doesn't really have that amazing of poking normals, either.

swag1

EX smash solves all
Why should a competitively viable character get any buffs?
I'm not saying he needs the buffs. Hell, I love this guy. But, I think it is only fair. I'm not saying he isn't viable. I'm just more wondering, because I think DS is very underused, and it could be exploited a lot better if buffer-able.

Because Sonya doesnt have a low combo starter, or an overhead combo starter so she can cancel into another move. I think thats the logic behind it
I can understand that logic. But Freddy has a SAFE 50/50 into full combo, and has the NMS buffer-able.

swag1

EX smash solves all
Cant he be interuppted from the NMS though?
Anybody with a stance can, if I am understanding this correctly. Freddy's, similar to Liu Kang's and unlike Sonya's, is retreating (he moves back when executed), AND, opposite to both Liu Kang's and Sonya's, his builds meter.

THTB

Sonya, on a number of her cancellable strings into MS, can't be interrupted.