What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I think f23 should actually be safer. Tempest has hat spin, buzz saw has low hat. We have... Ex spin to put us at -19. We get the short end of the stick for that string. -22 is a little unreasonable I think

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Yeah F23 is super tool I just use F21, less recovery on whiff, better hit box, and safer on block, and has no gap - I don't need dat reactable low anyways. We defo got fucked on that string in comparison to the other variations lol

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Random tight conversion of the day: Corner - B22~DF2, 3~DD2, 4~DF1, j3~dk, 21 = 30% meterless

Obviously you wouldn't do this when D4~DD2 leads to more damage but I'm just acknowledging that it's a thing. Try it if you want, it isn't easy :p

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
According to in game frame data 11212 is only -3 on block and has 33 cancel advantage. If hat placement has 25 frames of startup this should theoretically place us at +5 but not sure if that's accurate
Little bit late obviously, but about the "cancel" numbers after given normals/strings, don't use it to calculate advantage, I've since discovered that all it means is how many frames you're given to buffer a special during the animation.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Interesting, albeit not very useful bit of information. Kung Lao can combo off of the hatless d2 in the corner on a grounded opponent. It must have a better recovery than when he uses the hat. Probably isn't safer but would be interesting to know.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Interesting, albeit not very useful bit of information. Kung Lao can combo off of the hatless d2 in the corner on a grounded opponent. It must have a better recovery than when he uses the hat. Probably isn't safer but would be interesting to know.
The hitbox is also way too vertical, and there is basically no point to Uppercut punish anyone in the corner when 44 gets you better results with much less effort too. Such as placing away hat trap against a cornered opponent though.

Youphemism

Yeah this is because the animation changes from a slow sweeping uppercut to a straight D2, it's probably also faster on startup as well as recovery.

I GOT HANDS

Random tight conversion of the day: Corner - B22~DF2, 3~DD2, 4~DF1, j3~dk, 21 = 30% meterless

Obviously you wouldn't do this when D4~DD2 leads to more damage but I'm just acknowledging that it's a thing. Try it if you want, it isn't easy :p
Actually I noticed this out ages ago, and this way leads to more damage you can get like 35% if you B321spin instead of the 4spin, but I decided it wasn't worth it the issue is its character dependant and will not work on females and possibly not smaller males either iirc

Youphemism

Actually I noticed this out ages ago, and this way leads to more damage you can get like 35% if you B321spin instead of the 4spin, but I decided it wasn't worth it the issue is its character dependant and will not work on females and possibly not smaller males either iirc
B22~DF2, D4~DD2, B321~spin, jk~dk, 21 works on everyone and is 32% I'm sure. I was the one who first posted about it in this very thread lol. B22~DF2, 3~DD2, etc however is way too impractical to get consistently, it may as well be a 1 frame link lol.

I GOT HANDS

B22~DF2, D4~DD2, B321~spin, jk~dk, 21 works on everyone and is 32% I'm sure. I was the one who first posted about it in this very thread lol. B22~DF2, 3~DD2, etc however is way too impractical to get consistently, it may as well be a 1 frame link lol.
Yup I know, after you posted the D4 link I began looking for other options for more damage, I found 3 connects but only against larger characters and that D4 is the best option. Also it's a really cool Iooking combo lol

Duret

Learn from this
Hey guys, this is my first fighting game I'm getting in too, and I'm new to tym

My main currently is hat trick Kung Lao, its allota fun lol

To be fair, sonic did know the MU, its just no one used the variation against him in so long he FORGOT what he needed to do in the MU, I wouldn't call it lack of matchup knowledge...

To be fair, sonic did know the MU, its just no one used the variation against him in so long he FORGOT what he needed to do in the MU, I wouldn't call it lack of matchup knowledge...
iirc correctly the things that you did and where you got your damage from weren't even really hat trick specific things. There isn't that much to know about hat trick anyways imo.

Youphemism

Hmm alright, I just found it fishy that for example he didn't once interrupt an ex hat toss on block is all. My point was that even though he was clearly missing out important stuff in the matchup people are too busy proclaiming Hat Trick to be underrated and you to be some god to even think that he was maybe doing things wrong that cost him. (Don't take that the wrong way though, you are an awesome player and it was cool to see you do so well with Hat Trick. Just pointing out that the rest of the community are blinded by top players doing really well using lesser variations to recognise that the opponent is also not playing the matchup optimally)