What's new

Kung Lao Competitive Discussion

DDTECH

H8TR MKR
This game functions are way different then mkx. I was a killer lao player in x. This game makes me fool like a scrub

Death By Nines

Catharsis
Took a break from Lao over the last day or so to try out Sub-Zero. Felt like I was doing much better almost instantly.

It's amazing how much missing an overhead really hurts Lao in this game. He can't force offense on his opponent because everything he has is extremely minus with the exception of 21212... Which starts with two highs.

I don't know about you lot, but I'm getting tired of getting punished with a full combo for trying to use F21 as a poke. Right now I find myself just spamming F1 and D4.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Took a break from Lao over the last day or so to try out Sub-Zero. Felt like I was doing much better almost instantly.

It's amazing how much missing an overhead really hurts Lao in this game. He can't force offense on his opponent because everything he has is extremely minus with the exception of 21212... Which starts with two highs.

I don't know about you lot, but I'm getting tired of getting punished with a full combo for trying to use F21 as a poke. Right now I find myself just spamming F1 and D4.
I hate to say it because I'm all for leaving the 50/50 meta behind, but this character does need a better overhead option than his hop attacks rn, or at the very least adjust some of his current moves to hit mid. Crouching and low blocking against Lao is really all you need to do, you can duck under highs in the middle of his strings, d1 through the gaps in his safe strings, OS crouch block and punish wonky hitboxes like 2,1...
There's really no part of his gameplan that forces you to hold his high attacks and that takes away his best pressure tools, so I feel like once people start to recognize that they can interrupt all his moves then continuing to play Lao will be a nightmare.

kcd117

Noob

I think that of his 2 jailed into the 1 if they blocked the first hit of 21 he would be perfect. the rest of the string being + and his godlike 7 frame D3 would force a situation where he would be able to loop the pressure if they keep blocking, condition with grabs, check with his pokes, walk back to bait a poke, etc...

Which variation u guys think is the best so far? I was using Lotus Fist only for the safe orbiting hat confirm but I found that very inconsistent especially online. Now I'm actually thinking that the anti wakeup potential of Z-hat and that sweet air teleport might have a lot more use in a lot more matchups.

Suntory

Suntory
Yea, I have had to face the ugly truth about Lao...relying on hops for an overhead is bs.
I played online and got blown up hard using F21 outside of punishing.
The only way I was able to even put up a fight against a decent Sonya was to duck the projectiles to get in, and only then, was I able to play the gimmick game to keep her out. I was only able to take a round here or there.

Last edited:

BookBurning

Voidwards
I think that of his 2 jailed into the 1 if they blocked the first hit of 21 he would be perfect. the rest of the string being + and his godlike 7 frame D3 would force a situation where he would be able to loop the pressure if they keep blocking, condition with grabs, check with his pokes, walk back to bait a poke, etc...

Which variation u guys think is the best so far? I was using Lotus Fist only for the safe orbiting hat confirm but I found that very inconsistent especially online. Now I'm actually thinking that the anti wakeup potential of Z-hat and that sweet air teleport might have a lot more use in a lot more matchups.
Lotus Fist is the only variation to mess with right now tbh. Lao lacking safe mids is kind of annoying, but honestly F1 is godlike, especially as a stagger for grabs. I've been practicing F1 into DB1 and am able to hit confirm now if the hat hits into a decent combo along with F21 into DB1, even though it burns meter.

Basically, I play fairly safe while trying to whiff punish or go for some F1 pressure but when I actually do land a combo, it hits like a truck. My current BnB even though it's 2 meters does over 40%. I'm cool with it.

Subzero and Lao are from two opposite categories, sub's shitting on almost the whole cast while Lao is bottom 10 imo

kcd117

Noob
Lotus Fist is the only variation to mess with right now tbh. Lao lacking safe mids is kind of annoying, but honestly F1 is godlike, especially as a stagger for grabs. I've been practicing F1 into DB1 and am able to hit confirm now if the hat hits into a decent combo along with F21 into DB1, even though it burns meter.

Basically, I play fairly safe while trying to whiff punish or go for some F1 pressure but when I actually do land a combo, it hits like a truck. My current BnB even though it's 2 meters does over 40%. I'm cool with it.
F12 on hit guarantees you a dash up z hat everytime on hat tricks. If it hits you get a combo and if it doesn’t you are like +20 to go for another f1 or a throw.

I really believe that the only two good skills he has are z hat and air tele, and they both happen to be on hat tricks so Im jus using that one.

BookBurning

Voidwards
F12 on hit guarantees you a dash up z hat everytime on hat tricks. If it hits you get a combo and if it doesn’t you are like +20 to go for another f1 or a throw.

I really believe that the only two good skills he has are z hat and air tele, and they both happen to be on hat tricks so Im jus using that one.
Z Hat is -8 on block. Where the hell are you getting +20 lmao. Wtf are you even talking about; and why is air teleport better than regular teleport? So you can give them even more time to react to it?

kcd117

Noob
Z Hat is -8 on block. Where the hell are you getting +20 lmao. Wtf are you even talking about; and why is air teleport better than regular teleport? So you can give them even more time to react to it?
Amplified z-hat recovers right before the last hit, leaves you +20ish at f1 range.

Air teleport is quicker and less telegraphed than regular one, and can also be used after jumping a projectile.

I do think they are way better than that -7 meter depleting orbiting hat.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Amplified z-hat recovers right before the last hit, leaves you +20ish at f1 range.

Air teleport is quicker and less telegraphed than regular one, and can also be used after jumping a projectile.

I do think they are way better than that -7 meter depleting orbiting hat.
Okay but orbiting hat leads to over 40% midscreen combos and it costs 1 meter. If you burn Z hat, you're still spending one meter and you your combo damage is ass even if it hits. On top of that, Orbiting hat is still safe on block.

So what do we get out of z-hat, we get a projectile that is plus on block if you meter burn it so you can go for what, another unsafe mid attack or one of Kung Lao's non existent overheads? And if it hits, you're spending the same bar for WAY less damage than Orbiting hat. What am I missing. how is Z hat better?