What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Sorry, I meant BF4. Not really, you need to hit the first 3 ealy, so the opponent juggles more in the air.
Oh that makes this a lot easier. haha! I thought you had figured out a way to juggle off of the Pole Vault Kick.

thanks. Do you find that this makes combos easier to execute?
Yes and no. Definitely having negative edge and alternate inputs off makes it easier. But input shortcuts, I have to really practice because I slide my thumb across the dpad and more aften than not, Down Back registers as Down DiagonalDownBack and I can't get the special off. It definitely makes you learn not to mash the buttions in a combo and have more precision, which is always good.

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
Okey, here is what I got at the moment. I have only tried bojutsu yet:
I use a universal combo for the standing starters. The standing starters I have tested with are F24, B14, 111 and B214. I do not count jump in as a starter.
- Standing starter xx BF4, run, 3 xx BF4, JI4 xx D4, run, 32 xx DB3.
At the most you will get 40% meterless damage. You can leave the JI4 out, and just go for divekick to make it much easier. You loose out on 1%.
- Standing starter xx EX DB3, run, 3 xx BF4, JI4 xx D4, run, 32 xx DB3. You get about 5% more damage than the meterless combo.

-NJP, run, 3 xx BF4, JI4 xx D4, run, 32 xx DB3. Does 34% meterless damage from a neutral jump. Same here, you drop the jump to make it easier.
-NJP, run, 32, JID4, run, 32 xx DB3. Does 32% meterless damage. If you do an instant neutral jump, this is a decent conversion

-Divekick (JID4), run, 3 xxBF4, run, 32 xx DB3. 32% meterless damage.

Edit:
-F2D1 xx BF4, run, 32, NJD4, run, 32 xx DB3. 30% meterless damage. Hits overhead, low, but it seems to have some hitbox problems. BF4 wiffs sometimes. I think depends on the stance or the hitbox

Last edited:

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
With the bonitsu midscreen bnbs, you can substitute B21 bo spin with run cancel 34 bo spin for more damage. I've been doing that and been getting 34-37%, 37-40% with a ji.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

Didn't see this in the Ancestral section of the 1st page.. so i thought i'd share it

(db1 pre-loaded) > j2 > 343 > dd2 > Dash x2 > nj2 > j3 > j+d4 > run cancel 343 > bf3
potentially dumb question, but when you do the run cancel in that string, and to run cancel in general, do you have to hit back+block after inputting the run (e.g., in the same way that you would do a dash cancel for Kabal in MK9)? or do you just input the run and then cancel it by pressing 343?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
So I've found a low damage meterless vortex in Ancestral, sorry if it's been posted elsewhere:

Basically whenever you land a stun arrow, you can charge another one up and jip 34 which will leave you at +23 iirc. From this point you can go for another mixup and repeat the situation. It only grants about %20 damage each time, but for instance if you just go for one rep of it you can do something along the lines of:

(Stun arrow loaded) NJP, J3 xxDK, Run xx34 xxLow Arrow, (Load stun arrow) JIP xx34 (27%)

then

50/50 xxArrow, NJP, J3 xxDK, Run xx221 xxLunge Kick (29%)

Which in total is just under 60%. Not sure what his optimal damage is or how this works in the corner yet but just something for you guys to mess around with.

Nereus

Noob
potentially dumb question, but when you do the run cancel in that string, and to run cancel in general, do you have to hit back+block after inputting the run (e.g., in the same way that you would do a dash cancel for Kabal in MK9)? or do you just input the run and then cancel it by pressing 343?
input the run and then cancel it by pressing 343

BiL BigDeezy

Shoalin
just A quick question, i just might be the only one but is anybody else playing on a controller? like the regular xbox one controller idk why for me it hard to enhance my moves in a combo very frustrating i hit a 33% 10 hit combo in shaolin 1 meter prob better combos but it took me forever to hit :) idk the inputs by numbers but if some one can translate it for me that be great but i got 221-ex db1- b21(4? or b on xbox)- db3 d4 i think thats it on xbox would 3 be A or B sorry im a newb lol

Last edited:

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
With the bojitsu midscreen bnbs, you can substitute B21 bo spin with run cancel 34 bo spin for more damage. I've been doing that and been getting 34-37%, 37-40% with a ji.
Just did this again and doing the njp and then ji dive kick scales the damage more. (Starter) bo spin ji4 dive kick run cancel 34 bo spin does more damage and I think k it's easier than the nj ji dive kick

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Just did this again and doing the njp and then ji dive kick scales the damage more. (Starter) bo spin ji4 dive kick run cancel 34 bo spin does more damage and I think k it's easier than the nj ji dive kick
Yeah that's the BnB I've been using too. After a F23 opener you have to run to land the JK though so I just go for the NJP instead for consistencies sake. Also you can walk forward after the divekick too instead of running, just in case you don't have the stamina for it.

Just for the hell of it I'll post all of my BnBs atm, I find them fairly consistent and they do a nice bit of damage.

Midscreen:

Divekick, run xx3 xxBo Swat, run xx34 xxBo Swing (32%)
NJP (wait), 3 xxBo Swat, Divekick, run xx34 Bo Swing (33%)
34 (or other string) xxBo Swat, JK xxDK, run xx34 Bo Swing (36%)

Corner:

DK, 34 xxBo Swat, 4 xxBo Swing (34%)
NJP, 4 xxBo Swat, JK xxDK, 4 xxBo Swing (36%)
34 (or other string) xxBo Swat, 4 xxBo Swat, JK xxDK, 4 xxBo Swing (41%)

I could probably sueeze more damage out of the corner but thats the best I can get meterless in the short time I've been playing him.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I can't seem to hit the low arrow after the 343. Even when my run~ is immediate, the arrow flies right over. What am I doing wrong?
It took me a while to time this right. It wasn't even right away, it was like slightly stalled. If you stall too much tho, you miss it. You'll know if it's good cuz the 343 will make the slowly rise up if that mmake sense. just keep trying until you get it like that then it's cake.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Yeah that's the BnB I've been using too. After a F23 opener you have to run to land the JK though so I just go for the NJP instead for consistencies sake. Also you can walk forward after the divekick too instead of running, just in case you don't have the stamina for it.

Just for the hell of it I'll post all of my BnBs atm, I find them fairly consistent and they do a nice bit of damage.

Midscreen:

Divekick, run xx3 xxBo Swat, run xx34 xxBo Swing (32%)
NJP (wait), 3 xxBo Swat, Divekick, run xx34 Bo Swing (33%)
34 (or other string) xxBo Swat, JK xxDK, run xx34 Bo Swing (36%)

Corner:

DK, 34 xxBo Swat, 4 xxBo Swing (34%)
NJP, 4 xxBo Swat, JK xxDK, 4 xxBo Swing (36%)
34 (or other string) xxBo Swat, 4 xxBo Swat, JK xxDK, 4 xxBo Swing (41%)

I could probably sueeze more damage out of the corner but thats the best I can get meterless in the short time I've been playing him.
You don't have to walk forward to land ji4 dive kick after f24 starter into bo spin. But I've only played against scorpion, erron black, dvorah and Quan chi so far with kung jin so it may vary from character to character. And I didn't know you could just walk forward after the dive kick into 34 bo spin.

MadeFromMetal

Warning, Wall of text.

Alright, so I just played a buddy of mine who is using Grandmaster Sub. The only variation I feel truly comfortable with is Bojutsu, but I can't make it effective against him. He clones, zones with ice balls or clone throws until I get frozen and then rushes in for the combo. I try to break his clones with arrows but I get blown up with a slide or an ice ball before I can block again. The only reason I beat him at all is because he's impatient and likes to rush in sometimes, which I block and punish with a full combo. I feel like he could chip me to death if he really wanted to though. Any tips to make Bojutsu viable against Grandmaster or should I switch and truly study Ancestral and Shaolin for this matchup?

FinalBoss_FGC

Warning, Wall of text.

Alright, so I just played a buddy of mine who is using Grandmaster Sub. The only variation I feel truly comfortable with is Bojutsu, but I can't make it effective against him. He clones, zones with ice balls or clone throws until I get frozen and then rushes in for the combo. I try to break his clones with arrows but I get blown up with a slide or an ice ball before I can block again. The only reason I beat him at all is because he's impatient and likes to rush in sometimes, which I block and punish with a full combo. I feel like he could chip me to death if he really wanted to though. Any tips to make Bojutsu viable against Grandmaster or should I switch and truly study Ancestral and Shaolin for this matchup?
It's really early to talk matchups right now lol just do what you're comfortable with. If you won, why are you wanting to change things? haha

MadeFromMetal

It's really early to talk matchups right now lol just do what you're comfortable with. If you won, why are you wanting to change things? haha
I'm winning 1 out of 10 matches at the moment. I meant the only reason I ever win is because he gets impatient. Lol. I wasn't looking for in depth matchup analysis or anything, just something I might not have thought of to take with me into the lab if it's on the top of your head.

FinalBoss_FGC

I'm winning 1 out of 10 matches at the moment. I meant the only reason I ever win is because he gets impatient. Lol. I wasn't looking for in depth matchup analysis or anything, just something I might not have thought of to take with me into the lab if it's on the top of your head.
I really haven't played the matchup enough. Don't be scared to burn meter for armored specials into full combo punish or break through projectiles with mb flying kick. I know his arrows are faster than anything Sub Zero can do from range so spam lol

MadeFromMetal

I really haven't played the matchup enough. Don't be scared to burn meter for armored specials into full combo punish or break through projectiles with mb flying kick. I know his arrows are faster than anything Sub Zero can do from range so spam lol
Armored bo swing is amazing. I didn't even think of spamming arrows. I put them in the back of my mind for when I spend time on ancestral. Thanks!