What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kotal Kahn Kotal vs Ferra

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
Don't know if this is common knowledge and has already been discussed and if so feel free to delete it but was messing around in practice mode with Kotal Kahn's sun god variation and noticed that you can't do the command grab off of his b+1,22 string like you can against every other character I'm aware of. Also can't do the 1,1,4 into his d,f 1 grab on Ferra either. Definitely not a good matchup for Kotal just because of those two things. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:

navaroNe

well it definitely means you have to use less than optimal combos and play differently but yeah I really don't know ferra torr well enough to call it a good/bad matchup. I do know that the b+1,2,2 into command grab is probably sun god's most important strings and the 1,1,4 string is universally good for all kotal's variations for setting up pressure since you can do the grab at the end of the string and still have it be safe if they block so you can follow up with more pressure afterwards (usually the b+1,2,2 string). Just seems like something that should get fixed to me, I don't believe in having to change your combos on certain characters because their hitboxes aren't consistent with the rest of the cast

Last edited:

mkl

Poopbutt.
F/T can zone Kotal pretty well so that's already a knock for Kotal in this MU. Then a lot of his normal combos don't even work on F/T to make things even worse. The cherry on top is that F/T's normals are also very well suited to footsies and can combat a lot of Kotal's midscreen presence. Damage is the only thing that saves Kotal in this MU. I don't think it's like crazy bad or anything, but it definitely seems in the realm of 6:4. Maybe 5:5 for War God since he has a lot of different ways to mitigate F/T's midscreen, a better EX projectile if he really needs to get in, and can capitalize on 114/b122 in ways the other variations can't.

Last edited:

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I noticed that sometimes it doesnt whiff if i do 114 airgrab (midscreen), havent figured out why it didnt whiff...

navaroNe

Yeah. 114~df1 also doesn't work. I've always thought this is somewhat of a shitty matchup for Kotal since F/T can also zone pretty decently and has good normals (super great njp too!).
that's what I meant in the last part of the OP where I said 1,1,4 into grab, not command grab. so it's a universal kotal thing not just sun god. my bad, should have made it clearer.

navaroNe

I noticed that sometimes it doesnt whiff if i do 114 airgrab (midscreen), havent figured out why it didnt whiff...
I've tried many times but I've never been able to connect the air grab off the full 1,1,4 string. However I did notice that if you're in real close when F/T is standing up and whiff the first hit of the string it will connect. It will also connect if you whiff the first two hits as well but yeah never been able to get it off the full string.