What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotal switching sides in the corner

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
This has never ever been in the game prior to XL.
Edit- At least for Kotal anyway
You're 100% correct. People who don't play kotal think you're just corpse hopping lol. But anyways other cast members do the same. Pigs reptile and now I found out mileena

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I can confirm this has happened to me and @Pnut before as well. Definitely something that did not exist before the XL patch.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's the throw. Kotal's throw is allowing him to move past the opponent if he does an advancing move or a run.

TheGangstaFace

It's the throw. Kotal's throw is allowing him to move past the opponent if he does an advancing move or a run.
Did you watch pigs videos? It's not just kotals throw and multiple characters do it on non corpse hopping situations

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Yeah it's happening to me alot with Kotal now, I knock them down in the corner and try to oki with 114 and somehow when they stand up they stand up behind me

TheGangstaFace

T
Yeah it's happening to me alot with Kotal now, I knock them down in the corner and try to oki with 114 and somehow when they stand up they stand up behind me
Thank you for saying something. Without a competitive player saying something about this it doesn't seem like I'm being taken serious lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If Reptile or Sub-Zero's slide trades with an opponent's attack they're able to run through your body. That has always been the case, even pre XL.

TheGangstaFace

If Reptile or Sub-Zero's slide trades with an opponent's attack they're able to run through your body. That has always been the case, even pre XL.
Yeah you didn't watch the video. At mid screen, pig had a jax player knocked down and pig did reptiles f412 string and it switched sides and pig screamed "wtf was that!"

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
At 6:42 Reptile does a wakeup slide that trades with a Jax move. Reptile can now run through Jax's body. He runs to Jax's mid point and begins to do the f+4 string which advances him forward. Jax begins to block while the move is active, so Reptile has already started moving to the left.

P3irce

Noob
I've been using this as a mixup in the corner for reversing wake ups / repeated throws it the opponent doesn't understand what's happening. Honestly I like this weird mechanic

TheGangstaFace

At 6:42 Reptile does a wakeup slide that trades with a Jax move. Reptile can now run through Jax's body. He runs to Jax's mid point and begins to do the f+4 string which advances him forward. Jax begins to block while the move is active, so Reptile has already started moving to the left.
Lol go into practice, knock someone down with the slide, then do that string. Tell me how many times you get that side switch to happen with that string. I'm trying it right now and I'm unsuccessful. Also forever king just mentioned in the corner with Kotal he tries to oki with 114 and it still switches sides

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Lol go into practice, knock someone down with the slide, then do that string. Tell me how many times you get that side switch to happen with that string. I'm trying it right now and I'm unsuccessful. Also forever king just mentioned in the corner with Kotal he tries to oki with 114 and it still switches sides

Again, for this to happen the slide has to trade with another opponent's attack.

TheGangstaFace

I've been using this as a mixup in the corner for reversing wake ups / repeated throws it the opponent doesn't understand what's happening. Honestly I like this weird mechanic
With throws its consistent yes. But I'll finish with kotals df2 and continue the pressure after the knockdown with b122 and RANDOMLY it switches sides and can change the entire match

TheGangstaFace

Again, for this to happen the slide has to trade with another opponent's attack.
Honestly I'm not sure how to test that one but I'll give it a try. But what about kotals 114 oki switching sides? A lot of the people commenting have agreed some of this stuff wasn't with pre XL. I've used my character for a long time, and I'm sure they have to. We aren't just making this up just to troll you

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Mileena's Roll does the same thing as slide if she trades.

I haven't been able to go past them after Kotal's d,f+2 or anything except throw.

TheGangstaFace

Mileena's Roll does the same thing as slide if she trades.

I haven't been able to go past them after Kotal's d,f+2 or anything except throw.
Yeah that's why I was saying it's random, it's only happened to me like 4-5 times. I thought I recorded it last time I played against my friends mileena but I guess not. I'll keep a lookout for it though and next time it happens I'll definitely post a video. Also on reptile trading and switching sides, I just traded with Kano and tried to repeat what pig did and I stayed on my correct side. I'll even upload a clip

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You started the f+4 while you were still on the left side. Also that knife move leaves Reptile in a reaction so long he might not be able to reach him in time.

If you want to see it record Jax doing a d+3 and trade with that. Then just run past them.

TheGangstaFace

You started the f+4 while you were still on the left side. Also that knife move leaves Reptile in a reaction so long he might not be able to reach him in time.

If you want to see it record Jax doing a d+3 and trade with that. Then just run past them.
Ah you were saying he ran through then did the string? It does kinda look like it. I'll try

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah, it's tough but you can do it. He is running past them and then starting the f+4 right as he passes Jax's waist.

TheGangstaFace

Also I'm still waiting for a response for what forever King said. Personally I haven't had that happen, idk what knockdown he's doing but 114 either way is non advancing

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I can't get it to happen. There's no details and no video so there's not much I could say.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Weird crossup. Many characters can do that and it's always been the case.