What's new

Strategy - Kotal Kahn Kotal Mace Parry Thread

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
As I get more and more experience, I have been having more and more success both stuffing wakeups as well as stuffing opponents' wakeups with parry. I'm still not consistent with it, though. I'm convinced that developing godlike parry skills is simply vital for both Blood God and Sun God players.

Not sure the total frames but probably something like 30-40 or so.
Ah, so it's within whatever move fits in that time frame? I use Sun God when playing Kotal so I'm guessing after a successful parry, since I'm left in neutral it would give me enough time to command grab the opponent?

regulas

Your Emporer
Ah, so it's within whatever move fits in that time frame? I use Sun God when playing Kotal so I'm guessing after a successful parry, since I'm left in neutral it would give me enough time to command grab the opponent?
In some cases, depends on how long it takes for their next hit to come out since if they are doing a three hit string the other 2 hits will still follow.

I've found that its long enough to get at least 1 or 2 hit sin with the buff. Only thing though is it will probably only last for the first part of the throw.

In some cases, depends on how long it takes for their next hit to come out since if they are doing a three hit string the other 2 hits will still follow.

I've found that its long enough to get at least 1 or 2 hit sin with the buff. Only thing though is it will probably only last for the first part of the throw.
Thanks regulas. Very informative.
Going to continue to practice Mace Parry and hopefully make it a staple to KK's arsenal.

D4G

Win At All Cost
If I can only parry one hit, any my normals are the slowest in the game, just how good(bad) is this to add to your game?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
You can get a slightly buffed command grab, but in most cases, I would recommend going for either a F1B2 or a B12 after a successful parry.

regulas

Your Emporer
If I can only parry one hit, any my normals are the slowest in the game, just how good(bad) is this to add to your game?
You can always do things like parry xx (EX) Parry to block 2 hits and get double the dmg buff lol.

Anyway for one lone parry: at minimum it allows you to block a mix-up safely and then resort to regular blocking. Otherwise it's important to figure out what moves if when parried allow you to follow up. We do have 8-9 frames normals as well as general poke moves that can be used. Infact often a simply effective follow up is just uppercut since it's fast and will deal like 19% dmg.

ValeDJ

Noob
Great against Scorpion vortex traps...its like they stop for a second when you pull it out and think "dafuq is he doing?"

I just feel that a successful parry doesn't get rewarded enough.
I believe the damage buff is suppose to be the reward, though I feel the duration is a bit too short. But if you are talking about parry being more rewarding in terms of putting Kotal Kahn in a more favorable position than the opponent, then maybe. I really only have two problems with parry:

1. It doesn't block air attacks.
2. Normal parry isn't that great.

Other than that, I think its a good skill. It often takes players by surprise when you use it. Some things are clunky though, like Raiden's super man will just go straight through Kotal Kahn when parried lol.

Its a lot of damage, but unfortunately quite impractical. Good stuff though man.
Not mine. Just sharing. Agreed, the first two damage buffs are impractical. Blood God variation isn't worth the hassle.

The practicality of the Parry is different story. In the hands of a skilled executioner it may be one of the most dominant moves in the game.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I believe the damage buff is suppose to be the reward, though I feel the duration is a bit too short. But if you are talking about parry being more rewarding in terms of putting Kotal Kahn in a more favorable position than the opponent, then maybe. I really only have two problems with parry:

1. It doesn't block air attacks.
2. Normal parry isn't that great.

Other than that, I think its a good skill. It often takes players by surprise when you use it. Some things are clunky though, like Raiden's super man will just go straight through Kotal Kahn when parried lol.
Agreed. My only reservation about parry is that it doesn't parry air attacks. Other than that, I find it to be an extremely useful tool that I need to get better at implementing into my game.

Monox1de

Noob
Yeah i posted elsewhere that 3 normal parries (had a cassie cage spam 1 on me) with crystal totem and blood sacrafice can net you a 68% uppercut.

With ex parries there maybe something there but highly unlikely is the term i would use. Still it was fun to see how high of dmg i could get a single uppercut... I couldn't get the 4th normal parries damage buff to still be active during the uppercut after trying a few times... i didn't try anything with EX parries.

Parrying wake ups and during gaps in strings seem to be viable options for the parry though. I have just stuck to war god for now since those low overhead mixups seem to give everyone i play against problems.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
You can always do things like parry xx (EX) Parry to block 2 hits and get double the dmg buff lol.

Anyway for one lone parry: at minimum it allows you to block a mix-up safely and then resort to regular blocking. Otherwise it's important to figure out what moves if when parried allow you to follow up. We do have 8-9 frames normals as well as general poke moves that can be used. Infact often a simply effective follow up is just uppercut since it's fast and will deal like 19% dmg.
The mix up blocking part is the juice. It literally allows us to avoid the mix up altogether and just block. That is really hard to beat. Only question I have, does the parry animation still allow you to break normal throws if you miss the parry?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Parry after a blocked F1B2 or blocked B12 is a pretty nice option. It's just hard to train yourself to overcome the muscle memory that implores you to follow through with whatever punishing combo you had originally intended.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Yeah i posted elsewhere that 3 normal parries (had a cassie cage spam 1 on me) with crystal totem and blood sacrafice can net you a 68% uppercut.

With ex parries there maybe something there but highly unlikely is the term i would use. Still it was fun to see how high of dmg i could get a single uppercut... I couldn't get the 4th normal parries damage buff to still be active during the uppercut after trying a few times... i didn't try anything with EX parries.

Parrying wake ups and during gaps in strings seem to be viable options for the parry though. I have just stuck to war god for now since those low overhead mixups seem to give everyone i play against problems.
I'm still bad at interrupting strings, but parrying wake-ups is boss and can easily lead to instant death with Crystal totem activated in Blood God :)

edit: Sub Zero players love to wake up with slide :)

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I rarely use the parry but it seems really good. Idk why I never thought to use it on single hitting wake ups.

Now I gotta learn what strings have gaps so I can use it more.

wtf
Yep, they do!
One parry: additional 33% damage
Two parries: additional 77% damage
Three parries: additional 135%! 9% damage f2 becomes 21.97% lol

If you have damage totem, blood sacrifice, and triple parry damage, f2 alone does 42.24% loool
wtf lmao kotals damage output is similar to supermans damage pre "normalization" lol just a heads up dont be surprised if he gets toned down just a notch. Hope not though. He needs it imo

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
wtf

wtf lmao kotals damage output is similar to supermans damage pre "normalization" lol just a heads up dont be surprised if he gets toned down just a notch. Hope not though. He needs it imo
As scary as the damage output looks, it's not absurd. Since the boost is per hit and not per attack... you only really see a huge difference on single moves like Sunstone, f+2, standing 4, etc. The boost is completely lost on other specials like Sun Ray/God Ray, Sun God Choke (each hit gets a boost which ends up being around a total increase of 3%), and other multi hitting specials. Since it only makes you neutral and you have to work with whatever the frame difference is from the move you parried, it isn't braindead easy to capitalize on the damage.

It feels like they made the boost that way purposefully so they wouldn't need to patch it later. If someone's big recovery move gets parried and they take a boosted f+2 from it, they deserved it in the first place.

As scary as the damage output looks, it's not absurd. Since the boost is per hit and not per attack... you only really see a huge difference on single moves like Sunstone, f+2, standing 4, etc. The boost is completely lost on other specials like Sun Ray/God Ray, Sun God Choke (each hit gets a boost which ends up being around a total increase of 3%), and other multi hitting specials. Since it only makes you neutral and you have to work with whatever the frame difference is from the move you parried, it isn't braindead easy to capitalize on the damage.

It feels like they made the boost that way purposefully so they wouldn't need to patch it later. If someone's big recovery move gets parried and they take a boosted f+2 from it, they deserved it in the first place.
I should have mentioned i was referring to blood god lol but yea his damage increase in sun god isnt to bad. I do wish that the damage increase when he perrys lasted longer though. Its like its there and then its gone.