What's new

Strategy - Kotal Kahn Kotal Khan option selects

Ok so these option selects are starting to emerge and they seem really strong.

Discuss any type of OS you come up with.

So far there are only 2 types I know of.

The first is simply doing a special input then timing a different directional input such that it will come out on hit but NOT on block. You can also do the reverse by just timing the input very late such that it would be too late to input the special on hit.

The second is what I'm really excited about. There is some funky input priority stuff going on in this game, you can do some very interesting option selects where you do one special on hit and another on block.

So far this is what I've come up with.

These are all for War God

db3~1+2

Abare/Safety

On hit this is EX overhead so you can confirm into a full BnB.

On block this is db3 which can be cancelled with up to be -5 on block (mostly safe) or let rip for the unblockable.

Purpose should be obvious, this one is a simple OS that allows you to abare out of strings/single normals you usually can't confirm from into a full combo while remaining mostly safe on block.

bd2~1~3

Abare/Mixup

On hit this is EX overhead so you can confirm into a full BnB.

On block this is sword sweep for a mixup.

Purpose of this is to use it in conjunction with overhead strings like 212. You would use this after the first 2 hits as a mixup, you would get the EX overhead popup for a combo on hit but on block you get the low where the opponent is expecting overhead.

And here's a useless one that I don't understand

df1~3~2

On hit this is EX df4!!!!! what?

On block this is df1

Purpose of this is to show that totally crazy stuff is going on here! I don't understand this at all, but obviously multi button inputs are read very strangely by the game.

Some strange things are certainly happening here: getting a special move for a button you didn't hit, EXing moves without hitting block, the game losing its rule of not letting you do special cancels while omitting cardinal directions on standard controls (normal xx db,b+123 gives EX overhead without requiring you to hit d).

Been messing around in training looking for more of these, but can't seem to find anything that consistently works. :( There's some odd/strict timing to it I guess? All I've managed to find that might be useful is the knowledge that it is possible to do an input in Sun God with b14 such that it does EX sun choke if b1 is blocked and b14 if it isn't. Couldn't get anything consistent though. Got a similarly interesting input recorded in War God as well with b12 that did EX overhead as soon as either b1 or b12 hit (if b1 hit, it didn't continue the string and immediately did EX overhead), but again, it wasn't consistent.

Even the OS's you listed change in odd ways depending on what I assume is input timing (Perhaps I'm just inadvertently combining both forms of OS's you explained?). Take b14 xx db2~1~3:
In the first recording I made, it did sword sweep if the first hit was blocked and did EX overhead otherwise.
In the next recording, it did sweep if either hit was blocked, and EX overhead otherwise.
In the next recording, it did EX overhead if either hit connected, and sweep otherwise.
Using a different string (114 xx db2~1~3) flipped it around and gave me sweep on hit and EX overhead on block.

Variation is affecting it in unexpected ways, too.
Trying 114 xx df1~2~3 seems to do EX god ray only in War God, for example (I guess the sword throw doesn't "take priority" over EX god ray like EX sunstone does in the other variations?)

Seems like these could be really strong if you get them down, though... Or you could half-ass them and let the game do mixups for you. :DOGE

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
takeda has this as well. if i input b2 bf 1+2+3 i get bf 4........ alioune found out you can on hit do b1 into tele port and on block do b1 into daggers the same way, something is weird with the controls lol.

I'm just inputting them as the last attack in a string is happening, the ones I mentioned are working 100% consistently for me and the timing is pretty much non existent.

If you are inputting them during a previous hit of the string, yeah that's probably the first thing I mentioned. This could defintiely be used in strings with uncancellable final hits. If you land the hit on a previous move you could OS into EX overhead, if it was blocked you go into the end of the string.

I kinda expect this to be patched. I like doing it, but I don't know if it is good for the game, for some characters this could be really unfair.

EDIT: Wtf there was a super tiny patch and now I'm getting what you described =(

This doesn't seem to even be a deliberate patch, I'm getting completely random results now. Sucks, it seemed really useful.

Last edited:

Lanqu

Noob
Still works for me.
Using like this:
b14, db3~1+2 = unblockable on block or ex oh on hit
b14, db2~1+3 = low on block or ex oh on hit
Cool stuff!

Yeah after that OTHER recent patch now it is back to working consistently for me again.

My mind is completely fried when it comes to this game. I just can't explain any of this.

But hey, they work again, so yay?

There is a little bit of timing involved I've noticed, you want to make sure you don't input anything until the hit you want to cancel and get the entire input out before it can be cancelled. Then just hold all the buttons and the last direction, it should work consistently assuming you did it right.

EDIT: It is confirmed this is going to be removed, oh well. I struggle to confirm out of b14 so this will effect me a bit. I also liked being able to confirm off single pokes with it. Too much room for abuse with the OS though so I'm kinda glad it is going away.

Last edited: