What's new

Match Footage - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn Video thread

Post videos and stream footage of Kotal players here.

http://www.twitch.tv/zaelock/b/664624718 I start playing around 15 mins in.
Qwark, that was very nice playing against Jason. He had you on range, and was damn good at snuffing your jump ins, but with a little patience, and plus block strings you won a lot of matches that weren't in your favor.

I watched a lot of the stream while I was messing in training mode. Nice playing.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Qwark, that was very nice playing against Jason. He had you on range, and was damn good at snuffing your jump ins, but with a little patience, and plus block strings you won a lot of matches that weren't in your favor.

I watched a lot of the stream while I was messing in training mode. Nice playing.
Yeah, I'm not proud of my blocking in those sets, I had forgotten that Jason's main string is a low and since the matches are casuals there's a lot of talk during so it took me ages to remember to block low and that his grab in slasher isn't unblockable.

I don't think Jason wins against Sun god, from my limited experience it seems to be even at worst.

Yeah, I'm not proud of my blocking in those sets, I had forgotten that Jason's main string is a low and since the matches are casuals there's a lot of talk during so it took me ages to remember to block low and that his grab in slasher isn't unblockable.

I don't think Jason wins against Sun god, from my limited experience it seems to be even at worst.
From my super-limited experience, not much can really win against Sun God now. Zoners, high-pressure rush down like Johnny Cage...these can give Sun God pause, but with a powerful command grab and huge damaging combos...

All Sun God needs to do is just touch the opponent a few times and good game, better luck next time.

[END off-topic derail]

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

High end play? that jason is awful and your blocking should have been a lot better.
I agree on the blocking part. The Jason player is just fine.

You probably missed the other matches.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
Played a set with a new sparring partner last night, so I thought I'd drop it in here. This is only my second time playing against Takeda, my first time was casuals versus Ziphox at Yomi so any tips are greatly appreciated. I did start to pick up on some of this guy's habits around the 20 min mark and more proper punishments and corner play happen later in the set.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Played a set with a new sparring partner last night, so I thought I'd drop it in here. This is only my second time playing against Takeda, my first time was casuals versus Ziphox at Yomi so any tips are greatly appreciated. I did start to pick up on some of this guy's habits around the 20 min mark and more proper punishments and corner play happen later in the set.

Good footage.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
What does everyone think of the recent GGA match footage? Obviously, @GGA Fill Pops, props for making it to the top 8 round robin with Kotal. Here's what I noticed:

- Seems to be option selecting the F1, B2 string very consistently. That or he has insane reads.
- Ending certain strings in overhead sword, instead of saw, to make them true block strings.
- Using D4 poke into EN overhead sword to net larger damage, than just overhead sword or sweep.
- Not always respecting Ermac's (i.e. N1k0lasss's) ability to stand 1 anti-air, into a full combo.
- Using bar to extend combos, sometimes for big damage gain, but other times not.
- Using bar to close out rounds, even when he has a life lead.
- Ending blocked strings in EN sword throw to net continued pressure/chip.

@GGA Fill Pops, what are your thoughts now that it's over? If you don't mind sharing, of course.

Hoping all us Kotal mains can do this again with CEO this weekend. I'm sure everyone is as interested as I am to see how Alucard and others hold up.

Jeffrey Wolf

@LeeVanDam, apologies, I should have responded to your video, before kicking off the GGA discussion. As per your recommendation, I started at the 20 minute mark and watched 4/5 matches. Besides the obvious suggestions concerning dropped combos and respecting Takeda's low kunai, here are my thoughts:

- Much like the above notes, sometimes you use bar to get huge damage gains (e.g. off of the 114 string), but in other cases you are burning it with minimal increase.
- Again, like the above, sometimes you are using bar to close out rounds when you still have 40%+ health.
- You're using a good mixture of strings, but I'd recommend a bit more of 212, as both 21 and 212 only slightly negative on block, and with Kotal's fast down pokes, it can often lead to continued pressure.
- Like you using standing 1, pause, restart string. Kotal doesn't benefit from this tactic as much as say Jax, but it can still throw off the opponent's timing.
- B32 (i.e. shoulder charge) can be a good way to get in, but it's very reactable. Instead, using run cancels as your predominant means of approaching the opponent can be more effective overall, with B32 thrown in sometimes.

For the most part, as Qwark said, good matches, especially when you began to punish the gaps in Takeda's strings, and a few really nice NJP reads. Hope the above helps.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
@Jeffrey Wolf . super happy with may performance not so much with how i did against Nikolasss' ermac i should have stoped jumping her is the @GGA Wafflez of anti-airs in mkx. but afterwards i beat Rm devils ermac off stream. i think im getting better every week against Dizzy, placing right under the best player this community has is a huge confidence booster. i love Kotal and look forward to competing at evo.
-and yes ive played my teammates so often that they will punish the gaps after F1 B2 or b122 and 114 so ive learned to either do overhead sword (it is punishable but ive noticed if they are looking to armor they either will get hit or just not punish) or do nothing(ie. do b122 nothing to bait out a enhanced shocker and punish it, jeep in mind b122 is negative but some moves cant punish so study your match ups)
- using enhanced sword toss in pressure is amazing if they dont have a bar for armor, it sets up for a throw, more pressure , it pushes to the corner, and build another bar if done correctly. it makes your the enemy play your game and feel uncomfortable.
thanks for the props :)

Jeffrey Wolf

@GGA Fill Pops, thanks for the response. Also, good call about sometimes not ending strings with sword, since the opponent's choice armored launcher may not be fast enough to punish. Will definitely need to research that more.

Anyone have CEO reactions? I really think Alucard would have made top 8 if he was just more familiar with the Cassie match up. Also, players like Wade, Kush, and others did a good job of representing Kotal.

Graviton Six

Master of Custodial Arts
@GGA Fill Pops, thanks for the response. Also, good call about sometimes not ending strings with sword, since the opponent's choice armored launcher may not be fast enough to punish. Will definitely need to research that more.

Anyone have CEO reactions? I really think Alucard would have made top 8 if he was just more familiar with the Cassie match up. Also, players like Wade, Kush, and others did a good job of representing Kotal.
Woulda been a lot better if Kotal's strings weren't interruptable, like PIG said Kotal is a buff away from Top 5 but he sees him as bottom 5-8 right now. All those Kotals were fun to watch, they punished with big damage often and played some footsies. Sad to see all of Top 8 is basically high tier characters that are either 50/50, insane safe rushdown or zoning. Honeybee only bright spot in there.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Woulda been a lot better if Kotal's strings weren't interruptable, like PIG said Kotal is a buff away from Top 5 but he sees him as bottom 5-8 right now. All those Kotals were fun to watch, they punished with big damage often and played some footsies. Sad to see all of Top 8 is basically high tier characters that are either 50/50, insane safe rushdown or zoning. Honeybee only bright spot in there.
You do realise the irony in you saying you dislike top tier characters with safe rushdown, 50 50s or zoning and then saying Honeybee using D'Vorah who has all these is an exception, right?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Pig said wargod might be bottom 5 but didnt even know that you can cancel his unblockable...
Ofcourse he has strings that are interuptable, but if u keep using them and your opponent keeps armoring trough, thats not kotals fault lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Pig said wargod might be bottom 5 but didnt even know that you can cancel his unblockable...
Ofcourse he has strings that are interuptable, but if u keep using them and your opponent keeps armoring trough, thats not kotals fault lol.
What's your option, leave the string at -10 or do an uninterruptible but -16 move?

Because that's what's up right now. All of his swords except the mid are - full combo on block.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
What's your option, leave the string at -10 or do an uninterruptible but -16 move?

Because that's what's up right now. All of his swords except the mid are - full combo on block.
Cancel into unblockable(or cancel the unblockable), cancel into airthrow early. Stagger strings, cancel string early into oh or low, like for example b1 db1, or b12 db2.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Cancel into unblockable(or cancel the unblockable), cancel into airthrow early. Stagger strings, cancel string early into oh or low, like for example b1 db1, or b12 db2.
That doesn't change anything, these are all gimmicks. You're doing things that are full combo punishable with 9% as a reward. Everything you said is option selectable and full combo punishable, with air throw being at the very least - enough to start their pressure and the unblockable armour on reaction.

I have another local Kotal and every time he does shit like that he has to pray that he doesn't fall on a parry OS into F1B2 for 38%.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
That doesn't change anything, these are all gimmicks. You're doing things that are full combo punishable with 9% as a reward. Everything you said is option selectable and full combo punishable, with air throw being at the very least - enough to start their pressure and the unblockable armour on reaction.

I have another local Kotal and every time he does shit like that he has to pray that he doesn't fall on a parry OS into F1B2 for 38%.
So mixups are gimmicks? (i dont mean the stagger or airthrow, i mean cancelling oh or low sword early in strings)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So mixups are gimmicks? (i dont mean the stagger or airthrow, i mean cancelling oh or low sword early in strings)
Yes, because ultimately people should OS this stuff but it's too early for players to start doing so. I know the people that have played the most against me in my scene do them and although I don't practice mine much I make sure to at least try OS parry against war god's gimmicks to the point where it's not even a guess. Blocked a sword? Kill him. Did a sword with a gap? Parry, kill him.

KK War god is designed around baiting low block and reacting to mistakes with the EX OSS which is an amazing reversal, not throwing out B1 variants into low/oh sword.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
KK War god is designed around baiting low block and reacting to mistakes with the EX OSS which is an amazing reversal, not throwing out B1 variants into low/oh sword.
That might be true, but either way you asked for other options and i gave them :/