What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn buff idea

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Why would I "read a JIP" with a bar of meter and risk losing it when I can OS low profile both a JIP and JIK? Yeah and the JIP beats cartwheel because the hitbox of the punch outranges the hurtbox of kotal, you should spend a bar. He has good tools (j1, d4, ex OH smash), but in a game where every character has a plethora of good tools, he is lacking because he has no way to stay safe. The buffs to the rest were negligible and didn't really help the overall problems with the character. The obsidian totem and sun choke damage were good but he still has very glaring weaknesses in both of those variations. This "Kotal has 3 lifebars" nonsense needs to end considering he won't have it out all the time.
Wait, did you say why would I spend a bar to antiair, then tell him to spend a bar to antiair? Or am I missing something?

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Wait, did you say why would I spend a bar to antiair, then tell him to spend a bar to antiair? Or am I missing something?
No I was labeling his good tools. And I was saying it was a risk to spend a bar of meter on ex air grab because the hitbox is inconsistent and you could lose a bar for nothing ... which would suck.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I learned a ton of tech watching Quark's Kotal go against Pauly's Kano. Since then, he's given us even more tech. He's one of the best posters here and a very dynamic player to watch. He'll stick to his guns and he will continue to leave his mark in our community.
A. God I hate my gamertag
B. That was super laggy, don't learn too much lol
C. I didn't know that matchup at all...
But Qwark's Kotal is good.

@Qwark28 , sorry to say this Qwark, but SG KK sucks big time. The only thing to fear about is his ridiculous damage, which is no big deal since he lacks mix ups. The kind of mix ups WG has. I have lvled up my Kenjutsu Kenshi a lot since we played, you can ask @Cimmerian , since he plays SG and WG pretty much at your lvl and he got massacred, when we played yesterday.

The thing is, if you abuse KK with armored moves which are lower than 10f on block, he cant do anything about it. Its pretty much who can build meter faster and who can deal more damage in all aspects versus other characters.

Regarding Kenjutsu Kenshi vs KK in general, Kenshi rapes him almost in all aspects.
@Metzos , @Hidan I Used only the war god that day and the results are only based on war god Kotal, not to sun god. :)

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
A. God I hate my gamertag
B. That was super laggy, don't learn too much lol
C. I didn't know that matchup at all...
But Qwark's Kotal is good.
I could tell it wasn't your best performance, but I still learned a lot from it.

Your worst >>> My best

Last edited:

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Well despite this thread actually has very little posting about potential Kotal buffs, this is what I would like to see

- Faster startup/recovery on sunbeam: Move has very little use as it stands, faster startup would at least be able to use while being zoned since Kotal has trouble with it. As in, you could sneak it in between projectiles without getting hit in the face.

wargod:

- 2nd hit of EX overhead hitbox expanded, so many times I have had the first hit connect for the opponent simply to fall out of the combo.
- More damage on the overhead and low. Kotal doesn't get the homerun swings the better characters on their mixups(as in, whatever into full combo) and pulling them off can be risky now that everyone knows you can armour through the gaps. I figure a smidge more damage while not fixing the problem would at least help him out a little bit.
-Either that, or Just make the overhead and low safer, its his only real form of pressure and it kinda sucks to have a gap in 90% of the strings and then leading into an unsafe move you get nothing off of besides the move itself.

Could be a mountain of other more sweeping stuff sure, but those are stand outs I would like myself.

Last edited:

dark55

Noob
Pretty much if you think Kotal is good....you are wrong. Its not a matter of how you use your tools its a matter of if the person you are fighting knows that kotal sucks or not. If your opponent knows that everything you do is unsafe and can be armored through or back dashed or hell... blocked to full combo punish then alright what r u going to do as kotal? Kotal has tools and they are decent tools but the only person doing anything with the character is Alucard and its because he is outplaying people hard. Plain and simple give the game time and you won't see a Kotal in top 8 anymore for the remainder of the game UNLESS he gets buffs. Now what those buffs are would be for the community to decide but i know his strings need to be more safe.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Wargod doesnt need any buffs, if your getting armored trough your strings it means u need start baiting armor.
The only thing they should 'normalise' is his sunlight, wich doesnt work anymore as it used to work prepatch with the corner setup.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Wargod doesnt need any buffs, if your getting armored trough your strings it means u need start baiting armor.
The only thing they should 'normalise' is his sunlight, wich doesnt work anymore as it used to work prepatch with the corner setup.
What about the 6 or 7 characters that punish your "bait" with armor anyway? Can you please do research before you spew nonsense.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
my 2 cents:

first: i love both blood god and sun god but they have serious weaknesses. Blood gods damage output is mad, but he cant deal with rushdown at all without armor. Sun god is loads of fun and pretty much works the way it should, except soul scorch. There is literally no reason to ever use this move and that drives me bonkers.

blood god needs armor on the ex disk. that is really his main weakness, literally no armor as such he has a hard time waking up or stuffing wakeups. For someone who is all about creating enough space in a combo or on screen to deploy a totem armor is needed. This buff alone would jump blood god up a couple ranks in the tier lists. Also the blood totem should give better rewards for being so brittle. A full blood totem combo should regen near 10 percent health and half a bar of meter.

Sun god is a different thing. My problem with sun god is that there is like no reason to ever use soul scorch, either make it only 2 stacks (delete the first one entirely) making it more justifiable to give up the stacks for meter, and/or give a better meter reward. If you burn off a full three stack you should get at least 1 bar out of it, and the ex version should regen between 10 and 15 % health. If nothing is going to be done about scorch then make the stacks effect the damage of his other sun based moves (sunlight and disk).

Also NEATHERREALM FIX THE GODDAMN BLOOD GOD BRUTALITY, IF YOU HAVE A MATCH GET TO THE LAST 30 SECONDS YOU ARE PLAYING BLOOD GOD WRONG.
/rant

Last edited:

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Kotal is already a fantastic character. I suggested this shoulder charge buff as a joke a while back. I believe I also asked for it to be special cancellable and lead to a full combo.

Anyway...as far as Blood God goes, I watched Ketchup's stream yesterday as well and Medzin was doing some crazy shit with him. He pretty much had a totem out constantly. Ketchup said "you literally have to take 3 life bars off Kotal with the defense totem out". Blood God is good now. War God has always been good. Sun God is arguably the weakest variation and that's viable as well.

These fucking buff request threads are making me not want to even check TYM anymore.
can i get a link to those, i have been looking for medzin stuff but hes never playing bg kotal.

Buiu

Woot
What about the 6 or 7 characters that punish your "bait" with armor anyway? Can you please do research before you spew nonsense.
this, ppl who know the game and use the pratice mode rape kotal kahn,

depending of the carachter, if they have a good reversal( jonny cage for example) kk player must outplay by far

1. Make the Mace Parry able to anti-air and instead of a damage buff make it a hit, kind of like Gouken's parry in Street fighter 4. The animation could be similar to the breaker animation(a Sun beam on top of Kotal). That would be awesome.
2. Sun Ray with faster recovery, similar to Sun Scorch.
3. Air Takedown needs armor.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Calm down buddy, we all know your the biggest downplayer in kotal forum but please keep that to twitch chat.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Calm down buddy, we all know your the biggest downplayer in kotal forum but please keep that to twitch chat.
I'm right just like I was right about wonder woman. Don't worry, people will see in 6 months. I'm not saying he's not viable, but it's hard to argue that he isn't bottom 5 and has very glaring problems.

FoolishProphet

Still waiting for Jade :\
1. Make the Mace Parry able to anti-air and instead of a damage buff make it a hit, kind of like Gouken's parry in Street fighter 4. The animation could be similar to the breaker animation(a Sun beam on top of Kotal). That would be awesome.
2. Sun Ray with faster recovery, similar to Sun Scorch.
3. Air Takedown needs armor.
The mace parry should have done that in the first place,Kotal went in with them in the story so he should have had a move in sun god and blood god that used them like nightwolf or chief thunder.Also his sun beam projectile he used in the story as well as his teleport....NRS dropped the ball with Kotal in terms of his specials.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
The mace parry should have done that in the first place,Kotal went in with them in the story so he should have had a move in sun god and blood god that used them like nightwolf or chief thunder.Also his sun beam projectile he used in the story as well as his teleport....NRS dropped the ball with Kotal in terms of his specials.
Gawd sun god and blood god with a counter parry and a teleport that would be so sick. the teleport alone would be a pretty nice boon, just to get him around zoning and out of corners. even if it had slow startup (like the rest of his specials) it would majorly change his game. the worst part is that they show him doing it in the story, and a bunch of other characters who can in play are never shown doing so in story. Its like boon just doesnt like KK

FoolishProphet

Still waiting for Jade :\
Gawd sun god and blood god with a counter parry and a teleport that would be so sick. the teleport alone would be a pretty nice boon, just to get him around zoning and out of corners. even if it had slow startup (like the rest of his specials) it would majorly change his game. the worst part is that they show him doing it in the story, and a bunch of other characters who can in play are never shown doing so in story. Its like boon just doesnt like KK
They even made him teleport in one if his intro's......Kotal is the Emperor of Outworld and a major player in the Story and they couldn't have spent some more time developing him and refining him.