What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn buff idea

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Kotal is already a fantastic character. I suggested this shoulder charge buff as a joke a while back. I believe I also asked for it to be special cancellable and lead to a full combo.

Anyway...as far as Blood God goes, I watched Ketchup's stream yesterday as well and Medzin was doing some crazy shit with him. He pretty much had a totem out constantly. Ketchup said "you literally have to take 3 life bars off Kotal with the defense totem out". Blood God is good now. War God has always been good. Sun God is arguably the weakest variation and that's viable as well.
I think Blood God and Sun God are extremely close in relative competitive viability. But, I totally agree, the obsidian totem is ridiculous now. It's really, really, really good and I think the increase from 34% damage reduction to 50% damage reduction was a game-changer for Blood God.

Totems have always been relatively easy to get on the screen, so the extra 5 frames merely accentuated a strength. The issue with Blood God has always been that he has no armor, and as a result, is extremely susceptible to being rushed down. So, being able to take 50% less damage than normal for large portions of the match essentially allows him to survive being rushed down for much, much longer than anyone else in the game.

Belial

Noob
Kotal is already a fantastic character. I suggested this shoulder charge buff as a joke a while back. I believe I also asked for it to be special cancellable and lead to a full combo.

Anyway...as far as Blood God goes, I watched Ketchup's stream yesterday as well and Medzin was doing some crazy shit with him. He pretty much had a totem out constantly. Ketchup said "you literally have to take 3 life bars off Kotal with the defense totem out". Blood God is good now. War God has always been good. Sun God is arguably the weakest variation and that's viable as well.

These fucking buff request threads are making me not want to even check TYM anymore.
Wrong
1) This matzin or whatever played well but was getting away with basically everything. Ketchup always gave him time to get totem out and then get cut, sun ray etc this never happens usually as both have obnoxious recovery. You get full comboed everytime you do these outside of setup. Buffing them would be nice but that would buff all 3 variations (Im still all for the buff)
2) Sun God is 2nd best variation, damn I might even pick him in some MU that punish sword all too well, for example vs Cassie I'd go with Sunny, probably (maybe no still, bc anti air..)
3) Blood God is trash. no matter how many lifebars you have to take from him he just doesnt have the tools. He cannot AA , 80% cast gets free pressure on him, you dont wakeup you dont counter air, you are getting trashed. and this totem doesnt even last long enough so unless you are comboed right away it will expire and damage will go up. Basically Blood God has no special moves, this is variationless Kotal that takes a little bit less damage than others.

Like quark said, youre not using bloodgod like u should use him.
Go watch pndketchups stream from last night. He played madzin who was using bloodgod. You can learn some things from that stream. Besides he just got buffs.
I dunno how u watched the stream and think BG doesn't need help.

Ketchup n mustard where letting him summon the totems freely, kenshi and quan totally outplayed KK. In the first matches KnM let him get away with Sun rays, sun stones and totems. If u watched the full session you should have seen ,as the the match went on they adapted and totally zoned KK out and he was trying to get in only to get pushed back fullscreen and ur telling me KK is not easy to zone?

Just cuz a character has damage buffs doesn't mean he doesn't need help specialy when hes other tools are just too situational.

NO 50/50s in a 50/50 game, No Armor in a 50/50 game with run bottun and Forward advancing normals to Make Backdashing useless, A projectile with Bullshit startup and tools that u can't use other than after u hit some1 but Unlike sorcerer Quan chi he has no mixups to get hes stuff on the screen.

Last edited:

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
I agree with people claiming Blood is a severely gimped variation. Those that argue for its viability are only attempting to make themselves sound more knowledgeable/better than the masses. Just my personal opinion.

I mirror matched a Kotal today that I could tell was obviously knowledgeable with the character and skilled overall but once I knocked him down it was just over. He had no choice but to just stand up blocking and eat my mixups. There was just absolutely nothing he could do. I think you can only really get a sense for how handicapped blood is by playing one. You just have zero fear once you knock him down.

kantboy-2

Ripper
I love Kotal, but the variations need to be more unique;

The man uses his snake maces as weapons in story mode, but not a single mace string in BG or SG. Give him mace strings that end in throws like CM Sub in Sun God and regular mace strings that end in totem calls in Blood God.

Make the dagger the projectile (mid) in Blood God. MB do damage over time until another projectile, blood sacrifice or time out.

Change the Sun God mace parry into a mace counter grab and make the Blood God version a bit more viable than it is right now.

Belial

Noob
A really good idea so far is make regular parry work as ex (start 1 frame), remove ex parry
improve startup slightly on non ex sun disk
that and buffs to sunray and cut recovery should do the trick.
also give armor to ex air grab, there is no reason not to

Wigy

There it is...
Can we stop asking for kotal buffs, hes fine. Hes just had about 7 at least wait til the meta evolves with him.

MrFikshun

CombosOnFleek
The buffs he got doesn't make him viable outside of WG im glad that some people agree that in a game full of 50/50s no armor no wake up no consistent anti air = trash character meta evolving isn't gonna change that sorry (speaking on my fav variation BG of course) I honestly don't think he's gonna catch any buffs but that doesn't mean he's fine how he is there have been plenty of tournaments how many blood gods have you seen put in work or even picked at all ?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Instead of buffing op kotal can we plx discuss buffing Cassie? Literally worst character na. Nonwake up. Super unsafe, slow, predictable, terrible variations..

I played kk the other day and as soon as the match started my doorbell rang. Opened the door, ans kk punched me in the face irl and full combod me into the kitchen. What other character has a ln IRL combo delivered to your house?

Cassie needs that. Nerf IRL kotal, buff Cassie.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Instead of buffing op kotal can we plx discuss buffing Cassie? Literally worst character na. Nonwake up. Super unsafe, slow, predictable, terrible variations..

I played kk the other day and as soon as the match started my doorbell rang. Opened the door, ans kk punched me in the face irl and full combod me into the kitchen. What other character has a ln IRL combo delivered to your house?

Cassie needs that. Nerf IRL kotal, buff Cassie.
I'm not asking for Kotal buffs, but Cassie Cage is one of the best in the game. Buff Cassie, really???

These threads asking for buffs are really getting annoying.

You aren't owed anything. Play the game or don't. If you win, you won. If you lose, you lost.

A lot of gamers, not all, are children - even if their ages don't portray it. Having so many posts asking for buffs, how salty players get when they lose, and how many excuses and insults following poor performances provide more than enough proof to give credence to this assumption to anyone who has been around long enough.

I apologize for it seeming to call you out directly by quoting your post, but I'm putting out a call to everyone.

Be a gamer - and an adult - and be both at the same time.

Belial

Noob
What the fuck
are you trying to be smart?
I want to shoot the next person that barges into a buff thread and says "let the game evolve"
Now this pseudophilosophy on fg forums. Dude go jerk off somewhere spare us this nonsense. nobody is impressed by your speeches or calls for common sesne

Here

Just stay out or give us some better opinion like actual REASONS why you think character doesnt need buff (and NO this is not "because game X was like this at first and then it was like that")

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Can we stop asking for kotal buffs, hes fine. Hes just had about 7 at least wait til the meta evolves with him.
just saying, but his buffs didn't actually affect him that much (although they are very helpful), War God is still miles ahead of the other 2 variants

frame traps are slightly better, still not too guaranteed, command grab does a little more damage. Honestly the only significant change was the obsidian totem buff, that 50% reduction is insane

this thread sucks though so I won't argue with anyone but I think he's still perfectly usable, everything asked for at this point in time is a luxury buff

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What the fuck
are you trying to be smart?
I want to shoot the next person that barges into a buff thread and says "let the game evolve"
Now this pseudophilosophy on fg forums. Dude go jerk off somewhere spare us this nonsense. nobody is impressed by your speeches or calls for common sesne

Here

Just stay out or give us some better opinion like actual REASONS why you think character doesnt need buff (and NO this is not "because game X was like this at first and then it was like that")
You do know the exact same thing applies to you when you talk about variations other players play and you don't, right? Which you very conveniently tend to bundle up.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I'm not asking for Kotal buffs, but Cassie Cage is one of the best in the game. Buff Cassie, really???

These threads asking for buffs are really getting annoying.

You aren't owed anything. Play the game or don't. If you win, you won. If you lose, you lost.

A lot of gamers, not all, are children - even if their ages don't portray it. Having so many posts asking for buffs, how salty players get when they lose, and how many excuses and insults following poor performances provide more than enough proof to give credence to this assumption to anyone who has been around long enough.

I apologize for it seeming to call you out directly by quoting your post, but I'm putting out a call to everyone.

Be a gamer - and an adult - and be both at the same time.

You.. You don't think I was serious with that post do you? .. Cause I kinda thought the sarcasm was pretty self evident. Since, ya know, kotal didn't literally punch me irl., and Cassie is super good at everything I listed in the 'buff' sentence.

Just saying.

D

Deleted member 9158

What Kotal needs is not armour.

Why is it that noone wants to give their characters time to evolve and a million users keep constantly asking for buffs?
Because I need a steady supply of bathroom reading material.

MK_Al

Noob
You.. You don't think I was serious with that post do you? .. Cause I kinda thought the sarcasm was pretty self evident. Since, ya know, kotal didn't literally punch me irl., and Cassie is super good at everything I listed in the 'buff' sentence.

Just saying.
LMAO

Belial

Noob
You do know the exact same thing applies to you when you talk about variations other players play and you don't, right? Which you very conveniently tend to bundle up.
No it doesnt apply. When I say something I back it up.
I dont cover up my ignorance with philosophical debates
If you have problem with my opinion we can always discuss it like we did many times in the past

GAV

No it doesnt apply. When I say something I back it up.
I dont cover up my ignorance with philosophical debates
If you have problem with my opinion we can always discuss it like we did many times in the past
Memes don't back anything up. They're meant to be funny.

My philosophy is not to complain and play the game as it is - or don't.

My philosophy is to make no excuses and to give props when someone can beat or compete with me.

My philosophy is to work to constantly sharpen, while looking out for potential blind-spots - so I learn from the things that I don't understand.

I'm not above calling out stupidity though, like the idea of buffing Cassie Cage.

GAV

Just saying.
My apologies then. The sarcasm went right over my head.

Wigy

There it is...
just saying, but his buffs didn't actually affect him that much (although they are very helpful), War God is still miles ahead of the other 2 variants

frame traps are slightly better, still not too guaranteed, command grab does a little more damage. Honestly the only significant change was the obsidian totem buff, that 50% reduction is insane

this thread sucks though so I won't argue with anyone but I think he's still perfectly usable, everything asked for at this point in time is a luxury buff
The command grab on sun god is lethal and makes all his conbos like high 30s. His wargod has that stupid 50/50 thats near unpunishable with the overhead leading to like 34%. Fuckers win games with that alone.

He may need tweaking in his variations later but geez give it time first

RYX

BIG PUSHER
The command grab on sun god is lethal and makes all his conbos like high 30s. His wargod has that stupid 50/50 thats near unpunishable with the overhead leading to like 34%. Fuckers win games with that alone.

He may need tweaking in his variations later but geez give it time first
he's always had high damage, it only gives you more reward and slightly better frame advantage on the knockdowns

war god is not unpunishable, don't spread that misinformation.