What's new

Question Kommunity Question - Inevitable Patching

How long should we wait before welcoming a patch? (Minus bugs, glitches, infs, etc)

• During the first 2-3 months

• At the 6 month point

• One full year

• Two years

• Longer

• None at all (Play with what we have)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hey.

With exceptions to Bugs, Glitches, Infinities and 100% combos for one bar or less of meter, how long should we as a Kommunity wait until patches are demanded and shouted for?

I know the devs don't make patches just because players of the game demand it, but they defiantly listen, and sometimes to "Pro" players that may have an agenda. I know they have plans to patch things shortly after release that they know are stupid, but didn't have time to correct, such as Deathstroke's Low gun shot - high gun shot dash trap, for example.

Certain things from day one into the early stages of the game may seem crazy, overpowered or unbeatable, but I really don't want certain characters strengths stripped from them before we have a chance to fully flesh it out, especially without a true fundamental grasp of the game in the early stages.

I am sure some of you reading this will know what it is like to spend every day, for months and months, fine combing through every little detail of your chosen character, only to have people who don't understand anything about them staring to call shenanigans, and demand nerfs.

I fear the same for this game.

Discuss.

n9195v

Noob
Honestly when it comes to patches I think it's all about the quality of the patch not when it's released. That being said I think it honestly takes about 2 months to be get a feel of how things work in relation to the rest of the game. so in-order to make a quality patch you'd need two months. But lets be honest the patches aren't for balance as much as they're for public relations. My vote is for first two months but we all know we're getting an update with every DLC character.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Here is my definitions of what needs fixing and patching.

Broken: completely and utterly destroys the game mechanics making it literally impossible to play the game as intended. For example, something from MUGEN comes to mind. Even prepatch scorpion maybe. Things like this need patched immediately. Also bugs that allow options other characters dont have access too.

S-Tier: a character that far surpasses the rest of the roster in terms of mobility, damage, recovery options, and okizeme set ups. Normals and specials are accounted for as well. An s tier character defeating every character 6-4 or worse with ease. this character is sooo good its become more fact than opinion and they control simply every option of the neutral too well. Examples would be Kabal from MK9 and Morridoom teams from marvel. These things need slight tweaks to fix their standings while not destroying the character. Some characters are going to be top tier in every game, but no 1 character should simply rule all.

If it doesnt fit within the boundaries of these examples, it doesnt need patched, or nerfed.

Obviously glitches and bugs need fixed no matter what.

UsedForGlue

I'm all for day 1 patch. Then followed up by a 1 month or 2 month patch. Like 5 testers working 40 hour weeks for a couple months vs 4 million people playing the game for multiple hours. You just can't compete with that amount of man hours. They will find broke things. NRS should patch them.
I agree, but I mean more along the lines of fundamental gameplay, minus bugs, infs etc.

My issue with patching too early is that certain things will be missed, and some characters will miss the nerf train because no one was using them during the patching period.

Think Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya and Cyrax once the patching was all done, they escaped untouched apart from Kabal not allowing to special cancel after 11B43...

MK9 nerfed things like Sub Zero's combo damage before the holes in gameplay were exposed, or armour thrown out left right and centre while other characters were left out at an early point in the game.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
6 months should be the MINIMUM. There's no reason a balance patch should be done for anything before 6 months. The only type of patch that should be done before 6 months is like you said, to fix glitches, infinites, or very obvious broken/unintended things.

UsedForGlue

Wow, already there are more people voting for 2-3 months...

I can't say I agree with that.

I seriously think a fundamental understanding of the game has to be developed before we start toning down and buffing characters, we can't master this game in 2-3 months.

Reactions: SLy

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
6 months should be the MINIMUM. There's no reason a balance patch should be done for anything before 6 months. The only type of patch that should be done before 6 months is like you said, to fix glitches, infinites, or very obvious broken/unintended things.
you are basically saying that you don't want any patches.
six months and they move on to the next game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
you are basically saying that you don't want any patches.
six months and they move on to the next game.
No I am not. They did a bunch of patches with MK9 and Injustice, the problem was they did them too early and close together. If they spread them out with MKX, it should be fine. And a balance patch is only worth it if you give the players enough time to actually flesh out everything to see what is actually worth nerfing/buffing. 6 months is the minimum amount of time I believe is required to achieve that.

UsedForGlue

No I am not. They did a bunch of patches with MK9 and Injustice, the problem was they did them too early and close together. If they spread them out with MKX, it should be fine. And a balance patch is only worth it if you give the players enough time to actually flesh out everything to see what is actually worth nerfing/buffing. 6 months is the minimum amount of time I believe is required to achieve that.
I agree with it being the minimum.

6 months should be the MINIMUM. There's no reason a balance patch should be done for anything before 6 months.
I seriously think a fundamental understanding of the game has to be developed before we start toning down and buffing characters, we can't master this game in 2-3 months.
People tend to forget that it takes a patch to fix a patch. We can't wait 6 months for Superman to just dominate everyone. What magical knowledge are we going to get while he is destroying everyone? You first have to fix Superman so you can see what really needs fixing. You can't wait 6 months to just get a patch nerfing Superman and Black Adam and the rest of the patch is just guesses as to what the other characters need. Because we are going to need time with a patch, to see what the next patch should fix. It is a process. If you wait 6 months to figure out what is broken, basically 75% of the community will either be Superman or quit and then change to whatever is dominant after that 6 month patch.

Patch early, patch often. Adjust as players and grow. MKX won't be perfect, but I would make a bet that each patch that comes out improves the game.

Last edited:

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I would like to have a patch on the release day, another one after the first 2 months (because something really awful will surely pop up), then a periodic patch every 6 months.
NRS should always keep an eye on the game if we want it to be decently balanced.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Yea, it is similar. But id rather see how long the community as a whole is prepared to wait.
They're basically the same thread. In fact, The OP could have been a reply and it would have been relevant.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
People tend to forget that it takes a patch to fix a patch. We can't wait 6 months for Superman to just dominate everyone. What magical knowledge are we going to get while he is destroying everyone? You first have to fix Superman so you can see what really needs fixing. You can't wait 6 months to just get a patch nerfing Superman and Black Adam and the rest of the patch is just guesses as to what the other characters need. Because we are going to need time with a patch, to see what the next patch should fix. It is a process. If you wait 6 months to figure out what is broken, basically 75% of the community will either be Superman or quit and then change to whatever is dominate after that 6 month patch.

Patch early, patch often. Adjust as players and grow. MKX won't be perfect, but I would make a bet that each patch that comes out improves the game.
Jeremiah nailed it.

Seeing how they didn't fix Cyrax's ridiculous resets and Kabal's obviously broken pressure, I say we should have a patch every single month until the game doesn't have bullshit characters anymore.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
People tend to forget that it takes a patch to fix a patch. We can't wait 6 months for Superman to just dominate everyone. What magical knowledge are we going to get while he is destroying everyone? You first have to fix Superman so you can see what really needs fixing. You can't wait 6 months to just get a patch nerfing Superman and Black Adam and the rest of the patch is just guesses as to what the other characters need. Because we are going to need time with a patch, to see what the next patch should fix. It is a process. If you wait 6 months to figure out what is broken, basically 75% of the community will either be Superman or quit and then change to whatever is dominant after that 6 month patch.

The problem with that theory is what UFG brought up, you'll have characters getting nerfed that later on the games lifespan we'll look back and say "you know, that character really didn't deserve it" Did Sub Zero really deserve to have his combo damage taken away? Maybe it might have seemed that way back when the game was new and everyone thought "ice clone is bullshit man", but knowing what we know now nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.