What's new

Kombat Kast 2

I wish the kasts would be more in depth. like go over all the strings and buttons too. maybe it's just smoke that didn't seem like he did a lot or they barely covered him.

Last edited:

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I think that's exactly what I expect from Kombat Kasts!

First of: Props to the stages guy, but he could maybe show a bit more than only Living Forest but that was a nice appetizer.

Smoke looks super cool. His movement, his ninja stuff, his invisibility, teleports! Perfection. Hell, I even like his hair at this moment!

Ashrah - her two stances mechanics is nice, I still don't like her kriss, but still will give her a chance. She looks flashy and I LOVE her fatal blow. And yea you could think it can't be any better

But then Geras entered and stole the show (separate props to Tyler for doing the breakdown). He looks & plays BEYOND AWESOME, holy shit how much depth in the development of this character is put. Hats off, I don't even know where to begin and still trying to grab my jaw from the floor, so you can imagine is not comfortable typing in such position.

QA fight was perfect to watch and Sektor's classic fatality was neat.
Goro kameo looks great and I already love his upgraded visuals.

Overall I'm giving this kast an A and if this level is maintained for the future kasts (along with the clear communication what will/won't be presented) I'm all for it. Yes, even with the belt battle.

Btw, stopped counting "awesome" after 15th.

Just my thoughts as i catch up-

I didn't realize that havik was punching his hands off in his fatal blow. That makes it way better. Thought it was pretty boring for him because I thought he was just pummeling them with his arm spikes.

Forrest looks gorgeous and I love the deep dive into how this stuff gets done. Fighting game backgrounds have always been shockingly beautiful (especially given how often devs make training room the default....) so it's neat to see a peak into the process. Hoping like hell we get better stage fatalities this time (i've always felt more were planned for mk11 than what we got).

Evo stuff, meh.

Smoke/Kameo Sub:

Love the smoke attack animations. All the moves look great.

Jesus i love this move list. The move properties/concepts are just awesome. Looks like they made everything make sense, and I love the ability to cancel/change what's going on. He's going to be degenerate as fuck and I love it. Him + the frost orb we've seen is just going to be so nasty.

Holy shit ice armor. Get wrecked jade.

Ashra/Frost:

Probably one of the few characters I have no interest in playing, but that's mostly because I just don't care for how her stance switch works, but it's still very well designed. Fatal blow looks great as well.

Frost just looks nuts. Here have a sub zero ice ball that can't be blown up and still extends combos. Oh and a nightmare setup orb.

Fatal Blows:

They may look cool but god I do hate how long they are. If we can have a bloodless kombat code in mk3, can we have a "shorter fatal blow" code that turns it into "hold for animation" and otherwise just gives us something quick.

Geras/Goro:

Goro with that makoto punch. Interesting that stomp takes the whole bar, want to see who else has that. Wish they'd mentioned if omlet toss is actually a command grab (i'm assuming hit grab but guess we'll see). Glad they pointed out that goro got bigger.

Geras looks brutal. I love that he can just "undo" a combo. That is gross as hell and going to be hype as fuck if they can keep it legit. Honestly he reminds me of SC6 Zasalamel (build up a resource and do cheap shit....involving time stopping now that i think about it). Absolutely amazing animations.

Fucking hell the nonsense just keeps going. Sand walk down and some mvc dual character nonsense. I'm going to have to try him. I haven't been this hype for a grappler in NRS in forever (i mean i normally like them but i also quickly recognize they're just fucked).

Match footage:
Just too much to talk about. Looks great, plays great, love the little tech we're already seeing. I know that one of the things that can cause burnout is that once the game is optimized by players you start to see the same patterns of nonsense, but i'm hoping we don't get too much of that (and unlike other tag fighters combos are still "short" in comparison).

Oh fuck yes, compactor.

Overall:
God this end of the year is fucked. I'm knee deep in BG3, then it's ACVI, and then MK1. And i know starfield is somewhere in all this as well and i'm sure i'm forgetting other AAA and indie things on my list.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Ashrah looks friggin' spectacular.

-Dualist Liu Kang Light + Dark Stances
-Slasher Jason Slash Charge
-Magic Sword Sonic Boom
-Shoryuken that can be meter-burned into Kameo insanity
-A more elaborate version of MK11 Sindel's Phantom Charge
-The best Fatal Blow in the game

We happy. We very happy.
yep

The light / dark instances are a very cool detail, and seems pretty useful .... that naturally alone just give more options and variations to these characters
And her slash command combo is a must !

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I think that's exactly what I expect from Kombat Kasts!

First of: Props to the stages guy, but he could maybe show a bit more than only Living Forest but that was a nice appetizer.

Smoke looks super cool. His movement, his ninja stuff, his invisibility, teleports! Perfection. Hell, I even like his hair at this moment!

Ashrah - her two stances mechanics is nice, I still don't like her kriss, but still will give her a chance. She looks flashy and I LOVE her fatal blow. And yea you could think it can't be any better

But then Geras entered and stole the show (separate props to Tyler for doing the breakdown). He looks & plays BEYOND AWESOME, holy shit how much depth in the development of this character is put. Hats off, I don't even know where to begin and still trying to grab my jaw from the floor, so you can imagine is not comfortable typing in such position.

QA fight was perfect to watch and Sektor's classic fatality was neat.
Goro kameo looks great and I already love his upgraded visuals.

Overall I'm giving this kast an A and if this level is maintained for the future kasts (along with the clear communication what will/won't be presented) I'm all for it. Yes, even with the belt battle.

Btw, stopped counting "awesome" after 15th.
This. I’m out atm after playing football (soccer to many of you cross pond heathens), but will give proper thoughts later. But all in all that was an awesome Kombat Kast, this is what is needed. Props to Tyler for getting more involved too. And as a fellow game dev, it was awesome to see some behind the scenes stuff!

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I wish the kasts would be more in depth. like go over all the strings and buttons too. maybe it's just smoke that didn't seem like he did a lot or they barely covered him.
Compared to Scorpion's where they seemingly just rushed through with just "oh he has an air spear and a couple other neat but very basic moves", these three were VERY in depth. I was watching Smoke in awe and just like I will be messing around with him for sure. Soooo many mixups, tools, and awesome animations. Scorpion has always been my fav for 30+ years, but I barely have any idea what they gave him compared with everything they did for everyone else! Like damn, can someone give him another breakdown that actually talks about move properties, high, low, overhead, etc.? This KK was just so much better and more hype than the first (ok Johnny looked damn good).

Edit: So far the only characters I've seen a bit and still have concerns for good/fun they'll be are Scorpion and Kitana both of who are my favorites of course, lmao. Hopefully with Open Beta I'll get to play for myself to see if Kitana is actually more fun (for me at least) to play as then alot of people were saying after the closed Beta I wasn't in.

Last edited:

molambo

(X ౪ X )
where is the fun in exploring it yourself then when you get everything chewed up weeks or month before release.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
was there no UI element for how many Hour Glasses Geras has out?
Yeah I kept looking for some kinda tell or something for that too. Hopefully they add something either before release or soon after. I was still shellshocked from just how much they gave Smoke though so I could be wrong. He looked so crazy it made Ashrah very underwhelming for me. Geras actually looks fun with the air piledrivers and stuff. We need more command grab centric characters.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wow, pretty unimpressed with Goro. It seems like they're making the same mistake they made with MK11 Stomp, only this time they're gimping it before the game even comes out lol. The only saving grace will be if his throw works similarly to Sheeva's anti-low command grab.

Smoke looks interesting, but very gimmicky and meter-hungry. And without a real projectile, I worry he will always be starved for meter.

Geras just looks bonkers.

This game is shaping up to be MKX on crack. I legit don't know how NRS plans to balance anything. I think we are going to see some very broken tactics throughout at least the first year of the game's life.

Wow, pretty unimpressed with Goro. It seems like they're making the same mistake they made with MK11 Stomp, only this time they're gimping it before the game even comes out lol. The only saving grace will be if his throw works similarly to Sheeva's anti-low command grab.

Smoke looks interesting, but very gimmicky and meter-hungry. And without a real projectile, I worry he will always be starved for meter.

Geras just looks bonkers.

This game is shaping up to be MKX on crack. I legit don't know how NRS plans to balance anything. I think we are going to see some very broken tactics throughout at least the first year of the game's life.
the stomp seems to be an assault move, so you can setup something during its humongous startup.