What's new

Tech Kitana Kombo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urichinan

@Urichinan
Hey guys, I kept getting requests to put the combo inputs from my video in the description, so I added them:

Hopefully that will help everyone.

ErikKN

Noob
I'm if this has been gone over in the thread yet, but I'm gonna share what I've found out so far about F+2,1.

Not sure if this is posted, but you can combo off a jumping kick

jumping 3/4 xx air fan (land) > fan > dash > 2 xx cutter

30~%

edit
jumping 3/4 xx air fan (land) > fan > dash > 3 xx qcb3 (forgot the move name) does 32~%
jumping 3/4 xx air fan (land) > fan > dash > sweep for a possible reset, though since I'm new to MK, i wouldn't know what kind of resets I would able to follow up with.

2nd edit
it appears you can go even more with these. I got a 38% variant no meter but not sure how
jumping 3/4 xx air fan (land) >2 fan > dash > 2 fan
and then I got a 40% with 1 meter but I couldn't finish it (it appears you can tack on maybe a b2 xx air fan
jumping 3/4 xx air fan (land) >2 fan > dash > 2 xx fan > 2 xx (ex) fan.... and then I feel like I can tack on 1) f2+1, or b2 xx air fan or maybe even 2 xx cutter. Not sure and not used to MK controls (getting F2 instead of dash xx 2.)
3rd edit

You can replace some of the (2) command with a (4) when canceling to a fan for more dmg for the first initial one

BnB 35~%
jumping 3/4 xx air fan (land) >4 fan > 2 cutter

Urichinan

@Urichinan
Jump in 3/4 > Air Fan Toss > Dash > 4 > Fan Toss > Step forward > 2 > Fan Toss > f+2 > Cutting Fan does 41% with no meter if I remember correctly, I need to check my video again. XD

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
what do you guys mean by jump 3/4? is that just do k at 3/4 maximum height?
I think it means you can use either 3 or 4 to kick them as they are both your kick buttons, so either one can be used, depending on your preference.

lobo

woof.
oh. rofl. why not just use j.k?

anyway my new wall kombo...again i know some of you guys get more damage, but as a beginner who can't dash cancel and stuff i like to stick with stuff i can land 100%

f41, b2~airfan, fan, f4~cutter no meter 11 hits 42% EX cutter at the end nets 44-45%

f41, b2~AF, 4, fan, 4, cutter does 46% no meter but i think the first one is way easier to not fuck up lol

i know that you can get a bit more in other ways, but this cuts the kombo length in half and eliminates risk of execution errors

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
oh. rofl. why not just use j.k?

anyway my new wall kombo...again i know some of you guys get more damage, but as a beginner who can't dash cancel and stuff i like to stick with stuff i can land 100%

f41, b2~airfan, fan, f4~cutter no meter 11 hits 42% EX cutter at the end nets 44-45%

f41, b2~AF, 4, fan, 4, cutter does 46% no meter but i think the first one is way easier to not fuck up lol

i know that you can get a bit more in other ways, but this cuts the kombo length in half and eliminates risk of execution errors
Use this to get more success in the second combo you posted, I think it's 45%:

f41, b2~air fan, 4~fan, 2~cutter

You might even be able to get a d1 or even d1~cutter afterwards.

1. Either way, I have a hard time believing the the two people credited at the end of the video came up with all those combos before we did.

2. It's not poor execution on my part, it's the ridiculous negative edge system. -_-

1. It's possible, but unlikely. I've been all over the net looking for different Kitana combos and strategies and this site is the most comprehensive of those I've found. Still, it's possible...

2. This is why I've settled on 4 for my normal "links" because I never get the wrong special when I do this. I'm assuming that 2 is faster (and more damage?) and that's why a lot of people use it, but I'm just now (weeks after release) getting comfortable with the timing to avoid negative edge hassles.

lobo

woof.
1. It's possible, but unlikely. I've been all over the net looking for different Kitana combos and strategies and this site is the most comprehensive of those I've found. Still, it's possible...

2. This is why I've settled on 4 for my normal "links" because I never get the wrong special when I do this. I'm assuming that 2 is faster (and more damage?) and that's why a lot of people use it, but I'm just now (weeks after release) getting comfortable with the timing to avoid negative edge hassles.
he pretty much nailed it. i think it is easier timing to link with f2 in many cases, but unless i'm doing f2~cutter, i'm gonna try and link with 4 or f4 because i'm sick of getting that cutter when i want air fan.

i may be new to it, and not understanding it completely, but i've come to the conclusion that negative edge is completely fucking stupid. my motto is "if you can't do the damn combo then fall back on something simpler that you can do" there should never be game mechanics that cater to making shit easier just for the sake lowering the execution curve...especially things like this.

@ konqrr, thanks for the tips. i actually was doing it as you said with 2~cutter and i feel like the linking window for that is a bit bigger as well. like i said above i kinda drifted off of linking with 2 though because i keep getting negative edge errors. since there isn't really anything else it could mistake it for, though, i'll probably go back to that. hopefully in a couple weeks when i am more familiar with the overall MK metagame i'll be able to steal and utilize your bigger BnBs. :p this is my first 2d fighter so for now, in my case, consistency > damage.

Lomyn

Snoctopus
I'm pretty certain that 2 is lower damage than 4, but the timing to connect it is much more lenient. The only thing is that yeah, until you get the negative edge under control, it's going to cause problems.

i may be new to it, and not understanding it completely, but i've come to the conclusion that negative edge is completely fucking stupid. my motto is "if you can't do the damn combo then fall back on something simpler that you can do" there should never be game mechanics that cater to making shit easier just for the sake lowering the execution curve...especially things like this.
I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty fed up with games making things easier just to draw more sales. Sure, it's nice to have new blood to play with, both to teach and learn from. However, things like negative edge, at least NE this drastic just makes things that much harder IMO. I'm sure some of the pro's still have issues with it and new comers even more so. They see "f+2, d, f + 1" and wonder what they're doing wrong that causing them to not throw a fan.

Hopefully this is one of those things they can tweak by "turning a knob" and they'll lower the amount of NE somewhere down the line.

I'm pretty certain that 2 is lower damage than 4, but the timing to connect it is much more lenient. The only thing is that yeah, until you get the negative edge under control, it's going to cause problems.
That's what I figured. I use 2 for cutter fan and to link pretty kicks, other than that I stick with 4.

I don't know if this got said yet, but to get around negative edge just hold the button for the special move with the similar command, that you don't want.

So for the example of 2, df1, just press 2 and hold.

Some of the most complicated 2d games execution wise(like alpha 3) had negative edge in it, so negative edge isn't some feature that was thrown in recently to make stuff easier.

The real issue on the matter imo is that many moves have similar commands that overlap with each other, and I personally think that's where the negative edge gripes might stem from.

DrDogg

Noob
I don't know if this got said yet, but to get around negative edge just hold the button for the special move with the similar command, that you don't want.

So for the example of 2, df1, just press 2 and hold.

Some of the most complicated 2d games execution wise(like alpha 3) had negative edge in it, so negative edge isn't some feature that was thrown in recently to make stuff easier.

The real issue on the matter imo is that many moves have similar commands that overlap with each other, and I personally think that's where the negative edge gripes might stem from.
It's a combination of negative edge and the long buffer window in the game. Negative edge in other games won't register if you tap a button like you normally would. You have to make the extra effort to hold the button. In MK9, if I do 2,d,f I'm getting the cutter. I didn't hold 2, I just tapped it like I normally would. This should never happen in any fighting game, and it doesn't happen at all in other games with negative edge.

I've also noticed that if you input a notation too fast, it won't register. As I shift from HDTV to HDTV with varying amounts of latency, I find that in some cases I'm executing my notation too quickly. This is most noticable when I try f+2,1, NJP, 4~fan, ff, 2~fan. It's difficult to get 4~fan and 2~fan sometimes because I input the d,f too fast after the 4 or 2. So it comes out as just 4 with no special, or 2,1 (since it misses the d,f input).

It needs to be patched. Period.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
It's a combination of negative edge and the long buffer window in the game. Negative edge in other games won't register if you tap a button like you normally would. You have to make the extra effort to hold the button. In MK9, if I do 2,d,f I'm getting the cutter. I didn't hold 2, I just tapped it like I normally would. This should never happen in any fighting game, and it doesn't happen at all in other games with negative edge.

I've also noticed that if you input a notation too fast, it won't register. As I shift from HDTV to HDTV with varying amounts of latency, I find that in some cases I'm executing my notation too quickly. This is most noticable when I try f+2,1, NJP, 4~fan, ff, 2~fan. It's difficult to get 4~fan and 2~fan sometimes because I input the d,f too fast after the 4 or 2. So it comes out as just 4 with no special, or 2,1 (since it misses the d,f input).

I agree with everything this man said. I can't thank posts from tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC1984

Kaballin!
Or maybe get better TV? I have huge ass LCD tv and I believe there is some delay while playing the game. I played against people on good TV and the game runs perfectly fine...If you have latency problems because of tv get a better one and dont ask for a stupid patch.....Or maybe your execution is not good enough.....

Some of the execution of moves in alpha 3 required lots of dexterity for double quarter circle motions. For example, Guy has a hit confirm in A-Ism with his crouch jab CH into standing strong into level 3 kick super. Guy in the game had many overlapping specials moves between punches and kicks. The speed which was required to buffer the super it was a good idea to hold strong punch because negative edge would have him doing other special moves before the super were to come out.

That's the only reason why I made that example. But I totally understand where you're coming from, and as far as I'm concerned my incident is probably isolated to just a few characters and not an overall mechanic that screws around with the game as it does with the new MK.

Or maybe get better TV? I have huge ass LCD tv and I believe there is some delay while playing the game. I played against people on good TV and the game runs perfectly fine...If you have latency problems because of tv get a better one and dont ask for a stupid patch.....Or maybe your execution is not good enough.....
Lmao @ you just telling someone to go out and get a better tv, and dog a dude's execution at the same time.

AC1984

Kaballin!
I dont "dog" anything, even tho I'm a noob at the game I dont think that inputs should be patched or whatever....Learn how to play it the way it is...

ErikKN

Noob
Thrift stores usually have CRT TVs for about $30. CRTs typically have no input lag like HDTVs do.

Lomyn

Snoctopus
The "tournament standard" display is the Asus VH236H 23" panel (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059). This is what you will see at most higher-end tournaments for Marvel, MK, and SSFIV. They have less than 8ms of weighted lag, which is below any discernable point of lag.

That said, as a player with very good execution, I don't feel as if MK's input system is TERRIBLE, it's just different. I'm a little surprised with how long of a window you have to cancel jumps with special inputs, and while the negative edge is annoying it can be worked around by holding buttons for extra time as mentioned earlier in the thread. I really just think it's an issue of learning at this point.

Having Final Exams and what not, ahhh.
But here is the button input for my recent combo.

Jump Towards 1, F+2, 1~ JP~ *dash*, 4,df1 *dash* 2,df1~ F+2, *quickly Exfanlift*, dash, dash, B2, df1~ df1~ 4, ex df1~ 4,df2~ (i could have added a d1 at the end, since i was at a wall)

DrDogg

Noob
Did you even read what I posted or are you just trying to troll? >_>

I never said my TV was the one lagging. But when you move from TV to TV, the timing is different. Even moving from a low latency HDTV (like the ASUS monitor) to a CRT, you're going to see differences.

And my execution is just fine for every single other fighting game I play. In fact, even in MK, any combo that doesn't have a single normal linked into a special, I have no problems with. I can dash cancel with ease.

I'm also not the only one complaining of this issue. A patch is needed. I don't see how you can even question that. This is not something that the players should have to work around. When I input 2,df I should not get 2~cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.