What's new

Guide - Kenjutsu Kenshi Complete Kenjutsu Guide by Pig of The Hut

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Pig Of The Hut

would you recommend to learn kenshi, if you don´t wanna zone all day? I kinda love the blind swordman, but i think i´m too stupid to zone.

//edit also which variation would you recommend. I almost play only rushdown characters :>
Kenjutsu is the rushdown variation because technically it has no zoning

Bf3 is more a block punisher full screen and his shoulder is a neutral game tool

Possessed is the best though IMO

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I will say this: in spite of my dire loyalty to Kenjutsu, I will concede that between all the info here and in the Possessed guide that the latter does appear to be the superior stance for Kenshi. Not by much, but by enough to be worth acknowledging. Kenjutsu may be Kenshi's 50/50 variant, and it certainly has its' perks and appeals for days (the sweet delicious dirt of the F2/B3/D4+DF1 maelstrom <3), but I can't help but wonder if over time that it will prove formidable VS every other 50/50 in town, or if sticking to Kenshi's strengths of origin in the zoning/keepaway game will provide the superior Sento strategy.

One thing is for certain: Balanced has officially reached Donald Trump/Meek Mill levels of needing to prove itself worthy of existence in comparison to its two counterparts.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
@Vithar Do I get an apology? Or is pig "bullshiting people with his bull"? Seriously though, if video evidence isn't gonna get through to you that not all of Kenjutsu kenshi's mixups are safe and a lot will not be in a real match then your just having a go at me after all.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
@Vithar Do I get an apology? Or is pig "bullshiting people with his bull"? Seriously though, if video evidence isn't gonna get through to you that not all of Kenjutsu kenshi's mixups are safe and a lot will not be in a real match then your just having a go at me after all.
Or maybe he's just wrong? Co-signs don't make your argument any stronger, who ever said Kenjutsu was safe on everything?

Zabru

Or maybe he's just wrong? Co-signs don't make your argument any stronger, who ever said Kenjutsu was safe on everything?
He asked why people don't play Kenjustu and when I brought up the point that Kenjutsu has unsafe mixups he said I have no idea what I'm talking about and I should stop trying to BS ppl with my bull. The he proceeded to mock my other posts stating why people don't play Kenjutsu. He said you can just cancel into bf2 to be safe.

He said all this before picking up Kenshi too IIRC. He was just wrong that's a fact (the vid proves it) and he made accusations about me trying to bullshit people, when all I was trying to do is help him. Cause I totally go on to this website to troll and spread misinformation.

I GOT HANDS

Fair enough, the main benefits to Kenjutsu do come with the cost of safety, his mix-ups are all punishable and not hitconfirmable

Zabru

Kung Lao at the moment

But I've put a lot of time into a few characters, mostly Grandmaster Sub & Kenjutsu Kenshi
I play Kenshi because I didn't know who to play when I first got this game and I kinda just went with kenshi. I can't really find a character and bond with them in this game. I tried to play Kung Lao but I just feel wrong playing a top tier character, I tried Jason and got bored real quick, I tried Shinnok but just felt dumb using the vortex, I tried Grandmaster but he is broken and I don't like that, I tried liu kang and actually didn't mind him but I can't iafb on pad.

I might just buy a hitbox and play liu kang (I really wish I knew of a good guide for his flame fist and dragon fire variation) but even then I feel like I would be settling for less. I know people will hate me for this but I wish Kabal was in this game.

I GOT HANDS

I play Kenshi because I didn't know who to play when I first got this game and I kinda just went with kenshi. I can't really find a character and bond with them in this game. I tried to play Kung Lao but I just feel wrong playing a top tier character, I tried Jason and got bored real quick, I tried Shinnok but just felt dumb using the vortex, I tried Grandmaster but he is broken and I don't like that, I tried liu kang and actually didn't mind him but I can't iafb on pad.

I might just buy a hitbox and play liu kang (I really wish I knew of a good guide for his flame fist and dragon fire variation) but even then I feel like I would be settling for less. I know people will hate me for this but I wish Kabal was in this game.
Sounds much like my own story. I went with Sub-Zero but I left him now because he was broken (buggy and that's no fun for me, win or lose). I gave Kenjutsu a lot of time but I just didn't enjoy the playstyle he was a little too slow for me. I enjoyed Liu Kang but I can't iAFB, or cancelling strings into Bicycle Kick for shit because of the input, so I dropped him, maybe I should pick him up again now that I have a stick, but I still find iAFB super difficult. I had a bit of trouble finding who was right for me as well, so I decided to look at characters with a little more depth. I like the Shaolin characters, Kung Lao being my favorite, but I don't do top tier characters either, so I went with Hat Trick who has a shit load of flashy plays, which I love considering I play local the most and you gotta show out, you know how it is :cool:

You might be a different person to me so this might not apply to you, but your story seems similar enough, so I'll just give you the one piece of advice I got if you want to keep looking for someone who fully sticks for you - find someone a little less "straight forward" to play with. I'm looking at deciding between Tanya Dragon Naginata & Ronin Takeda for my next character when I get to it.

Zabru

Yes thats exactly how I feel lol, right on the money. Glad to here your rocking that hat trick swag over the triple T as I like to call it (Top-Tier-Tempest). Yes I like characters with that extra level of depth. I will try Tanya Dragon Naginata (thats the pole dancing varaint not the blocks string one right? I hate that block string crap lol) and see how that goes. Thanks for your suggestion man- I really appreciate it.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
You can make Kenjutsu Mixups Safe (most of them) with OS.
From what i read and hear people bitch about the Just Frames in Kenjutsu saying that the Variation is Bad coz of hard inputs.
@Pig Of The Hut i think if people sacrifice enough time they can still learn the Just Frame inputs and do the 111 or 1,b32 stuff.There are characters like Setsuka in Soul Calibur that are based on this mechanic(Just Frames) and people still won Tournaments with her.
But i can agree with the 10/10 Combo rule with you , nice guide and can't w8 for the Balanced one!

Pig Of The Hut

From what i read and hear people bitch about the Just Frames in Kenjutsu saying that the Variation is Bad coz of hard inputs.
@Pig Of The Hut i think if people sacrifice enough time they can still learn the Just Frame inputs and do the 111 or 1,b32 stuff.There are characters like Setsuka in Soul Calibur that are based on this mechanic(Just Frames) and people still won Tournaments with her.
But i can agree with the 10/10 Combo rule with you , nice guide and can't w8 for the Balanced one!

F2 is very unsafe even w OS so technically he doesn't have safe 50/50s even w OS

I believe it's -18 or -16 and when reversal block punishing specials exist still it makes it very easy to punish

My other point w 111 and b32 is wtf is Kenshi Kenjutsu the black sheep chosen to have such hard links when characters like Kung Jin, pred,
Cassie, Lao have braindead links and it's not like those characters are weak either . Doesn't make sense to me to have mid tier and low tier characters require much more from the players in the execution department and mental where as keep characters like shinnok w braindead links and no brain power required

In this game simple and easy =more wins
What better example of this than shinnok

Zabru

Guess I wasn't talking crap after all. Anyway I also agree that you could learn the hard links with kenjutsu but by the time you mastered them all imagine how many characters you could have learnt just learning the kenjutsu variation. 7? 8?

And imagine how many games you could have won with shinnok by then :(
You are certainly right though, people in street fighter and what have you are executing 1 frame links like their eyes slow down time. Also with the netcode Kenjustu is so bad online lol.

lawgamer

Noob
Great guide. Gives an understanding of the character and his important tools - haven't seen a better tutorial for Kenshi anywhere else. You didn't cover both sides of his vortex though, missed an overhead starter.

For some time I've been doing B3\F2 after D1 and failed miserably. F2 is too damn slow. It seems that the mixup is only B3/EX Df1. Or am I missing something?

Pig Of The Hut

Great guide. Gives an understanding of the character and his important tools - haven't seen a better tutorial for Kenshi anywhere else. You didn't cover both sides of his vortex though, missed an overhead starter.

For some time I've been doing B3\F2 after D1 and failed miserably. F2 is too damn slow. It seems that the mixup is only B3/EX Df1. Or am I missing something?
Theres a 3 frame gap where they can backdash i believe or armor so yes b3/df1 ex or b3f2 with understanding they could get out
in corner its guaranteed off a ji2 d4