What's new

Keeping cool while in the spotlight

ArsonX

Noob
I am very calm playing mkx,though i tend to get nervous when someone watches me play. For example i started a game while friends were watching and suddenly i started dropping all of my combos. Thankfully after that match i got my cool back on. Anyways,what do you people do when people watch you play,or when on a serious tournament when crowds watch? A proffesional mk player told me the hardest thing to do on a tourney is not lose your mind trying to impress hundreds of people

I am very calm playing mkx,though i tend to get nervous when someone watches me play. For example i started a game while friends were watching and suddenly i started dropping all of my combos. Thankfully after that match i got my cool back on. Anyways,what do you people do when people watch you play,or when on a serious tournament when crowds watch? A proffesional mk player told me the hardest thing to do on a tourney is not lose your mind trying to impress hundreds of people
I think the last line is the most pertinent. When you are by yourself, you can focus on your game. When you have others watching, suddenly you want your game to look good. Instead of playing solid tactics, you become inclined to use showy tactics, and avoid zoning and solid footsies for fear of appearing 'lame' or 'cheap'.

Regardless of who you're playing and who you're playing in front of, just play to learn. The more you learn, the more you'll win, and the more you win the more impressive your playstyle will be without you even thinking about it, just because you'll be doing the right thing in so many situations.

Of course, I'm speculating, but it's a fairly common trait across any activity.

Mitsuownes

Grandmaster of the Shirai-Ryu
Maybe my experience can help you out.

The kompetitive scene is not only about pushing buttons, being faster or smarter than your opponent. You don't need to play good in order to win, you just have to play better than your opponent. It's also about keeping your cool, be one with the game, never lose your nerves or forgetting about your game plan.

As soon as I approach my fights I feel extremely confidend, but am scared to death. I'm totally afraid, I'm afraid of losing, afraid of being humiliated. But I never lose my confidence.

The closer I get to the fight, the more confidence I get. The closer I get, the more confidence I get. All during my training I have been afraid of my opponent, I thought this opponent might be capable of beating me, I've dreamed about him beating me.

The closer I get to the fight, the more confidend I get. Once the fight starts, I'm Scorpion.

I keep my eyes on my opponents movement. Once I see him doing a mistake or is afraid, boom, then I know I have him. Even if he fights hard for the first round, I know that I have him.

During my fight I am supremely confidend. I am moving around, making him wiff, I'm countering. I throw out my attacks and I know he is not able to take my attacks. One, two, three, he goes down. I'm victorious.

Mitsuownes, greatest Inferno Scorpion who has ever lived.

Shoutouts to Iron Mike Tyson

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Maybe my experience can help you out.

The kompetitive scene is not only about pushing buttons, being faster or smarter than your opponent. You don't need to play good in order to win, you just have to play better than your opponent. It's also about keeping your cool, be one with the game, never lose your nerves or forgetting about your game plan.

As soon as I approach my fights I feel extremely confidend, but am scared to death. I'm totally afraid, I'm afraid of losing, afraid of being humiliated. But I never lose my confidence.

The closer I get to the fight, the more confidence I get. The closer I get, the more confidence I get. All during my training I have been afraid of my opponent, I thought this opponent might be capable of beating me, I've dreamed about him beating me.

The closer I get to the fight, the more confidend I get. Once the fight starts, I'm Scorpion.

I keep my eyes on my opponents movement. Once I see him doing a mistake or is afraid, boom, then I know I have him. Even if he fights hard for the first round, I know that I have him.

During my fight I am supremely confidend. I am moving around, making him wiff, I'm countering. I throw out my attacks and I know he is not able to take my attacks. One, two, three, he goes down. I'm victorious.

Mitsuownes, greatest Inferno Scorpion who has ever lived.

Shoutouts to Iron Mike Tyson
Wat