What's new

KDZ Wins Injustice at New Challengers Unlimited

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Fresh off his win at GUTS II, Superman player and frequent competitor at The Break, KDZ, collected another win at New Challengers this past weekend in Stratford, CT. At just over two months into the game's life cycle, KDZ has quietly racked up wins at a number of events (16 in total), including several over some of the East Coast's most notable players. At New Challengers, he notched wins over DarthArma, CD Jr., and Rico Suave to earn the victory.

Winners Finals was a match between two players that have met frequently at smaller events, Rico Suave and EMP CD. Jr. As always, their matches were close, with CD Jr. opening Rico up at the last second to take the first game. Jr. looked strong in the 2nd match, punishing Rico at every opportunity and countering his interactible throw with a traited Super to take the second game. On the brink of being sent to Losers, Rico adjusted and ran the set back to take the next 2 games, scraping out an improbable comeback in the final match and winning with the last 1% of his health left to take the set.

This setup a rematch of the Revolution Gaming finals, with KDZ and Jr. vying for Superman supremacy. CD Jr. started off in dominant fashion, taking the first two matches back to back. But winning the 2nd game with a life bar to spare, KDZ was able to turn it around. Tying the set up 2-2, KDZ carried his momentum into the final match, which went down to the wire, and ended with KDZ, down to his last 7% and at a large life disadvantage, stealing the set with a must-see point-blank f2 whiff punish with Super.

In Grand Finals against Rico's Black Adam, KDZ rolled in to grab the first three matches by large margins and reset the bracket. In the final set, Rico battled back to again go up 2-0 and looked to be on the verge of taking the tournament, but KDZ again turned the tables with some relentless pressure, coming all the way back to win the set 3-2 and closing with his trusty low laser into super to take 1st place.

The Top 8:
1st) EMP|VxG|8wr KDZ
2nd) Rico Suave
3rd) RG/EMP CD Jr.
4th) Black aDOM
5th) Isaac
5th) EMP Darth Arma
7th) JRosa
7th) McPeanuts

Started in 2011, New Challengers is a series of events held to bring together the fighting game community in the Connecticut area. With weekly events every Tuesday night, each month they hold a larger tournament that typically brings some great players from all over the Northeast. Held at the largest gaming store in CT, the Gaming Etc. Tournament Center and Superstore, their monthly added Injustice to the lineup last month alongside SF:AE, Marvel 3, KoF 13, Persona, and Skullgirls, and the turnout has continued to grow.

With KDZ on a roll and racking up wins against some of the best in the East, some are calling him the country's best Superman -- and he would likely be one of the first to agree. With both KDZ and CD Jr. headed to Florida's CEO major and facing off against some of the game's best players, the stage is set for a memorable showdown this weekend.

Check out the archives here:
Pool Play: http://www.twitch.tv/newchallengers/b/420366506?t=2h28m55s
Top 8: http://www.twitch.tv/newchallengers/b/420366506?t=6h32m11s

Event Bracket:
http://challonge.com/622igau

Event Organizer: Bacardi

Attachments

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Damn, is there like a calendar of Tri-State area tournaments floating around?

I might have gone to this if I even knew about it...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Yeah, I'm working now to get more info out about them in advance -- because I missed this, and almost missed the RG event. Had no idea they were coming up. I'm trying to make sure everyone notifies us ahead of time for upcoming events so that these things don't go under the radar.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yeah, I'm working now to get more info out about them in advance -- because I missed this, and almost missed the RG event. Had no idea they were coming up. I'm trying to make sure everyone notifies us ahead of time for upcoming events so that these things don't go under the radar.
RG Event?

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro

I'll tag you in the next thread we make for it to give you a heads up, he runs the tournaments every month.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Rico suave sucked bad...lol
Really bad games from him, didn't expect that. And he didn't shake KDZ hands too....big fail

Good Job KDZ

Yeah New Challengers is always an awesome event. If you're in the tri state area, you should def make it out there.