What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Kano's Ruthless Matchup Discussion Thread

I find the sub MU painful as well. I agree that you have to play quite a bit more lame than usual. It's one of those patience is a virtue situations. Often one side will get annoyed and say "i'm going in." This will usually be the sub with a yolo slide, especially on-line. Problem is that in that situation 8/10 times that fucking thing is safe due to the wonders of MKX online. Yep, salty AF here.

I've gathered that MB knives are great to use in this MU. However I seem to consistently fail at using them at the right time to capitalize on the plus frames or blow up armor etc. I need more XP in general.
I came in here just for advice on this matchup. God Sub is so annoying to fight. I figured the the answer to this would be to try to zone him out.

It's such a boring way to win, but if somebody wants to pick grandmaster subby, then screw 'em.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yeah you do just have to zone him out and play super patient, Don't rush in if you even THINK he's going to clone. Luckily a LOT of subs online freeze you and then have little to no damage afterwards, but still best to practice not being froze. Knives, even in commando, are plenty enough to keep him back though, just have to be careful not to be too close if you trade knife with his freeze ball.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I came in here just for advice on this matchup. God Sub is so annoying to fight. I figured the the answer to this would be to try to zone him out.

It's such a boring way to win, but if somebody wants to pick grandmaster subby, then screw 'em.
You have to use your char's strength's. Kano, especially cyber, can zone sub well enough. IMO the goal is to frustrate them with it into making mistakes, which is a basic strat in general tbh. I think you have to use all of Kano's tools to keep him threatening as otherwise you can become to readable. But you must watch for the EX slide and try to blow it up with MB knives in cyber, or block and hopefully be able punish in time to beat the inevitable d2. You know they're both coming lol.

im trying to figure out what variations are best for. for now id say:

characters that want to get in on you (like Johnny Cage, cassie): commando (counters, oki pressure)
characters that zone or vary in playstyle and rarely give you a chance to open them up (like mileena, Sub zero): cybernetic (better zoning, good damage)
characters similar to the above but with bad wakeup game (like quan chi): cutthroat (big damage, oki pressure)

i played a buddys grandmaster with my cyber and it was all spacing. midscreen i win, corner he wins

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
im trying to figure out what variations are best for. for now id say:

characters that want to get in on you (like Johnny Cage, cassie): commando (counters, oki pressure)
characters that zone or vary in playstyle and rarely give you a chance to open them up (like mileena, Sub zero): cybernetic (better zoning, good damage)
characters similar to the above but with bad wakeup game (like quan chi): cutthroat (big damage, oki pressure)
I like to use cyber for chars that need to get in. though I can see commando's utility as well. I just am not to good at that variation atm, mainly because I'm shit at making reads. I do better with him in sets.

If they have a bad wakeup game I think any variation will do tbh. But I believe that you must play what you feel you can do the best with and are most comfortable with, even if it's not considered advantage.

FlappyDaniel

Commando definitely feels like an uphill battle sometimes. It can be hard to answer pressure, but getting somebody locked in the corner with B312/rib breaker mixups is so satisfying.

I like to use cyber for chars that need to get in. though I can see commando's utility as well. I just am not to good at that variation atm, mainly because I'm shit at making reads. I do better with him in sets.

If they have a bad wakeup game I think any variation will do tbh. But I believe that you must play what you feel you can do the best with and are most comfortable with, even if it's not considered advantage.
of course you should play the ones you feel good with, but my goal is to feel good with all three. i will pick the one which has the least negative matchups against all 3 of the opponents variantions, so i cant be hard counterpicked. ill go through that even if its 4-6 all the way.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
of course you should play the ones you feel good with, but my goal is to feel good with all three. i will pick the one which has the least negative matchups against all 3 of the opponents variantions, so i cant be hard counterpicked. ill go through that even if its 4-6 all the way.
Kano doesn't need all 3 variations. I see Cyber as the main variation, equipped to handle much of the cast when played well. Outside of that, I would say Cutthroat or Commando can be used for the rest of the MU's.

When you said characters that want to get in, Cyber is the best for that because he can keep them out much better than the other two. If you're set on rushing down/mixups I can see why you'd prefer other variations, but that's about it. If you main one of the other variations, I could see needing all three though.

Kano doesn't need all 3 variations. I see Cyber as the main variation, equipped to handle much of the cast when played well. Outside of that, I would say Cutthroat or Commando can be used for the rest of the MU's.

When you said characters that want to get in, Cyber is the best for that because he can keep them out much better than the other two. If you're set on rushing down/mixups I can see why you'd prefer other variations, but that's about it. If you main one of the other variations, I could see needing all three though.
i personally like commando the most. i agree cyber might look like the strongest, but the knives wont keep a rushdown character in check forever, especially in mkx. and if someone NEEDS to get in, it doesnt play such a big role if your knives are mid or high, hes gotta move at some point and not just duck/low counter projectile etc. id rather have some strong close up options than the minor benefit of mid kives in those matchups. the knife zoning is so one dimensional they are either gonna make it in at some point anyway or might just lose to high knives as well. mid knives to me are an option against characters wo are comfortable stitting on the other side of the screen and ducking.

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Yeah agreed. If you want Knives, Cutthroat and Commando still have them, they're just not quite as powerful, still useful for the same purposes.

plus... and I really can't stress this enough, but it is SO satisfying landing Rib Breaks and Body slams on people, Commando Kano is definitely S+ tier as far as feeling like a big dick pimp goes. He needs a Fatality where he calls in 2 kangaroos that beat the shit out of the enemy though.

Yeah agreed. If you want Knives, Cutthroat and Commando still have them, they're just not quite as powerful, still useful for the same purposes.

plus... and I really can't stress this enough, but it is SO satisfying landing Rib Breaks and Body slams on people, Commando Kano is definitely S+ tier as far as feeling like a big dick pimp goes. He needs a Fatality where he calls in 2 kangaroos that beat the shit out of the enemy though.
lol id see that fatality in MKT but not MKX :D

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
i personally like commando the most. i agree cyber might look like the strongest, but the knives wont keep a rushdown character in check forever, especially in mkx. and if someone NEEDS to get in, it doesnt play such a big role if your knives are mid or low, hes gotta move at some point and not just duck/low counter projectile etc. id rather have some strong close up options than the minor benefit of mid kives in those matchups. the knife zoning is so one dimensional they are either gonna make it in at some point anyway or might just lose to high knives as well. mid knives to me are an option against characters wo are comfortable stitting on the other side of the screen and ducking.
I don't think even @cyke_out is capable of such levels of downplay lol.

The zoning is much, much more than just chucking knives mindlessly. You probably aren't using the full potential because Commando probably fits your playstyle better. Like I on the other hand rarely use Commando. In your situation you'd probably be better off learning Cyber for certain MU's like you said.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I still have not found a Mu where cybernetics isn't the best
A couple of the clan guys have good Scorpions. When I play Khaotic_Dante's Scorpion and Sub-zero I prefer Cutthroat in the Scorpion match. MU sucks ass in general but seems more tolerable with Cutthroat than Cyber. Against Spec Ops Cassie I use Cutthroat too.

I use Cyber for the majority of my MU's at this point but those two stand out to me that tend to usually switch.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
A couple of the clan guys have good Scorpions. When I play Khaotic_Dante's Scorpion and Sub-zero I prefer Cutthroat in the Scorpion match. MU sucks ass in general but seems more tolerable with Cutthroat than Cyber. Against Spec Ops Cassie I use Cutthroat too.

I use Cyber for the majority of my MU's at this point but those two stand out to me that tend to usually switch.
Hmm don't have much scorpion exp but I could see how it might be better but against sub I see no way how cyber wouldn't be the best imo

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Hmm don't have much scorpion exp but I could see how it might be better but against sub I see no way how cyber wouldn't be the best imo
Yea I don't even consider not using Cutthroat in that MU anymore. Against Sub yea Cyber is best. I didn't know before but now that I've got a ton of MU exp in it Cyber is best by far. I actually think it is Cyber Kano's favor.

Have you played a good Cassie yet? I use Cyber against Hollywood but I use Cutthroat against Spec Ops.

Scorpion and Spec Ops are about the only two MU's that I always switch away from Cyber Kano. Pretty much everything else I think he has the best tools for the MU at this point.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Yea I don't even consider not using Cutthroat in that MU anymore. Against Sub yea Cyber is best. I didn't know before but now that I've got a ton of MU exp in it Cyber is best by far. I actually think it is Cyber Kano's favor.

Have you played a good Cassie yet? I use Cyber against Hollywood but I use Cutthroat against Spec Ops.

Scorpion and Spec Ops are about the only two MU's that I always switch away from Cyber Kano. Pretty much everything else I think he has the best tools for the MU at this point.
I have not so I cannot comment on that mu either.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I have not so I cannot comment on that mu either.
Yea those two are the only ones I'd say. Outside of those I'd say Cyber Kano is best for all the MU's I've played against good players.

I'd go as far to say that Cyber Kano is a great character to use against some of the "top tier" perceived characters like Bojutsu Jin, Summoner QC, TG Raiden, etc, when played correctly, and even wins a lot of those MU's. Luckily no one would ever believe me lol.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yea those two are the only ones I'd say. Outside of those I'd say Cyber Kano is best for all the MU's I've played against good players.

I'd go as far to say that Cyber Kano is a great character to use against some of the "top tier" perceived characters like Bojutsu Jin, Summoner QC, TG Raiden, etc, when played correctly, and even wins a lot of those MU's. Luckily no one would ever believe me lol.
I'm with you on Cyber Kano against Bojutsu Jin.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I wish i could share the optimism. I think Cyber Kano is very, very good. But i think Jax, D'Vorah, and Scorpion may be a problem.

But I've been proven before that i don't know anything.​

I wish i could share the optimism. I think Cyber Kano is very, very good. But i think Jax, D'Vorah, and Scorpion may be a problem.

i think scorpion is a problem for all kanos because its hard to both zone or oki-pressure him

ando1184

Noob
So I've been playing commando a little more recently and just wanted to share an option select in the Kung Lao matchup. Sitting back tossing knives is actually very effective vs kl bc it forces his to take higher risks than you if he wants to come in. One of those risks is his teleport and for commando players it's great because we have db1 and df1. If we do db1 on an early read it becomes the high counter and I'm happy to say that it counters all of his teleport options including the throw. If we db1 on a later read it becomes a df1 and interrupts kl before he can do any of his tele follow ups. I did this consistently offline during matches with citizensnips who has become a pretty competent kl player in the tempest var. just thought I'd share with you guys since that greatly limits kl options fullscreen.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So I've been playing commando a little more recently and just wanted to share an option select in the Kung Lao matchup. Sitting back tossing knives is actually very effective vs kl bc it forces his to take higher risks than you if he wants to come in. One of those risks is his teleport and for commando players it's great because we have db1 and df1. If we do db1 on an early read it becomes the high counter and I'm happy to say that it counters all of his teleport options including the throw. If we db1 on a later read it becomes a df1 and interrupts kl before he can do any of his tele follow ups. I did this consistently offline during matches with citizensnips who has become a pretty competent kl player in the tempest var. just thought I'd share with you guys since that greatly limits kl options fullscreen.
Wow the fact that it can parry even the throw is insane. Pretty much negates his teleport completely.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

I've played good dvorahs and have never had any problems. Jax is a little more tricky but still a winning mu. Idk bout scorpion