What's new

Strategy - Cutthroat Kano's Hot Fix Nerf 2.0. Detailed Explaination

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The issue that I have regarding all this is that many members of the cast have a shit-ton of + strings, very safe, lots of dirt with heavy damage combos from a number of different openers, some require meter, some don't, but they all hurt. They have all the tools that Kano has and don't pay the price that he does for those tools. In a game where one touch leads to 40% of your life, giving up 15% of your life is not a damn option. It also MASSIVELY devalues your character the closer your health gets to zero.
This part of your post couldn't be more dead on.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Nice write up hopefully ppl actually read it and realize we had crazy damage before and no one cared.

I really just think it should have been one or the other not nerf damage and add health loss kinda seems like overkill when we did higher damage before.

And the pressure is just like you said the only strings that got more +frames due to exbuff were b121 and 4 so again kano had +9 from exknives all along and you are actually +12 after db1on hit as well

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
After all of these "buffs" for Kano, I'm honestly surprised we still have players to even be salty(though reasonably so). I'm not sure what to be more upset about, this kneejerk nerf, or that I thought we were finally thrown a freaking bone.

I think the nerf had to do something with Tanyas shroud. NRS doesn't want Kano commit suicide and look like a fool.

Right now the ex buff is like a glorified version of the regular buff with less start up time.

I'm sure it'll be fixed again in future patches.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think the nerf had to do something with Tanyas shroud. NRS doesn't want Kano commit suicide and look like a fool.

Right now the ex buff is like a glorified version of the regular buff with less start up time.

I'm sure it'll be fixed again in future patches.
You know, I never thought of that somehow but you're right. Now that it's armor was stripped as well, it's basically a weaker version of the old regular buff used as combo filler/+frame 1 bar tool lol. Wow...

Doubt it'll be fixed though. This is Kano, master of the overlooked.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
  • The biggest problem with Ex buff right now is the health drain of 15% (Everyone and their grandmother agrees to this)
  • Ex buff can be used as a pressure tool at the end of his B121 string to be +14, but on every other string it's +9 or less so it's inferior to Ex knives when used as a pressure tool.
  • Ex buff can also be used as a combo extender after landing hits on B12, 112, B31 and leads to 40% one bar or roughly 52% for two bars. However, because of the health loss the combos essentially lose 15% effectiveness making them inferior to his fully optimized 1 bar Ex DB1 combos that range from 37-41%. His normals are already easily hitconfirmable so this change of adding more links helps no one but bad players.
  • You can turn Ex buff off after a combo so that you only lose 8% health instead of 15%, but you lose your ability to pressure on wakeup which is one of Cutthroat's greatest strengths.
  • You can still sort of use Ex buff to act as a parry on wakeup reads but your combos will do less damage and when combined with the health drain and the damage your opponent did you'll be looking at 20%+ gone in health.
At least it not like kotal where you die from the DOT. It should do a solid 5% like a sacrifice.

Tanya's shroud still drains your health if you have buff or ex buff on btw. It's just slightly less noticeable against the most overlooked character in the game.

Disasterpiese

it's not over when you lose, it'over when you quit
It is a endless struggle with kano, have played all the variatons with kano cut was the best because cyber = block low your good and commando = oke ish but almost no mix up (command grab is good).

Very happy with the buff what lasted 24 hours xD

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea pretty much. I don't see the value in stringing EX Buff, so I'll be using Slice and EX Knives just like prepatch midscreen. Now that it lost its armor too it's all but useless outside the corner.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
@Zoidberg747 when you have a chance can you read this thread. All i am asking is for ex buff to automatically take away 5% health when activated. Against characters with good chip the Ex buff is extremely risky. Kano automatically loses 15% health plus the chip if they block what ever Kano throws out after Ex buff. Ex buff after any string serves no purpose that Ex knifes already did. A 50/50 into Ex buff into another 50/50 only works in the corner if the first 50/50 was B312 (the low). kotal kahn gets a damage buff that only takes away 10% without using meter.

Why does everyone think I am 16 bit lol

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I main Kano and I fully agree with you. I love Commando Kano, and felt insulted by a pop up string that dont make since at all. I was looking for them to fix his "Command grabs", so they can be more consistent like Erron Black. And also giving Commando a over head string into a grab move since he is a grappler and need to keep upclose pressure.

I was looking for Cyber to get more damage in knives. Not really a overhead in this variation, but i was looking for more grenade attacks. For example, Kano can throw a grenade that will hit low. His description says grenade attacks, so why not be able to throw grenades at people?

Wow after reading the about the glory days of kano I feel like I missed out on tons of damage and great anti wake up tech. Well at least kano is still fun to use.