What's new

Kameo Archetypes

rifraf

Noob
I would like to open the discussion on Kameo archetypes. I'm in no way an expert on the matter so your participation is essential.

In my mind, there are Defensive Kameos such as Sub-Zero, Combo Kameos like Scorpion, Offensive Kameos like Motaro, etc. However, there are quite a few Kameos like Jax, Sektor, Sonya, Shujinko, Frost, Darrius and Khameleon which I have a hard time putting in a specific category. They're more situational maybe, but I feel they're lacking a specific role or archetype. They also tend to be less popular.

There's another type of Kameo that can make your favourite unsafe move safe, consistently. These are Kano, Stryker, Goro and Cyrax. Lastly, there's Kung Lao Kameo where he gives you 50/50's and hardtoblockables. These are hands down the most popular Kameos from the game's launch to now, by a mile.

My point is, Kameos with clear archetypes or plan seem to be quite popular and/or fun. While the more situational ones seem a bit... elusive. Personally, I don't think every single Kameo needs to be competitive or fit a specific archetype as long as it's fun but it's hard to deny many Kameos are not very popular.
Should NRS release more specific Kameos in the future? Should they rework some of the ones currently in the game to give them a more defined role? For example, Tremor being more defensive. Also, is it really fun having Kameos like Kano, Stryker, Goro and Kung Lao in the game? Do they actually promote a healthy playstyle for the game? Should they be reworked to do something more interesting?

Please share your thoughts.

LEGEND

YES!
You could probably boil it down to:

Mix
Enhanced zoning
Defense
Safety
Damage

But with different levels of strength that each gives. I don't think any kameo is locked into only having one purpose. Like Darrius gives mix and safety, but the safety is a secondary thing. Khameleon is pretty much everything just not all at once and not the strongest version of each.

Overall, its apparent to me that NRS doesn't think about traditional "archetypes" when designing anything and I think that's great. I'm not a fan of characters like Gief and Sim, Or Injustice 2 Dr. Fate that have such limited design.