What's new

Just realized why my combos are dropping... can someone explain?

infamy23

FireBeard
Edit: I originally created this thread because I was looking for an explanation, but I've noticed that pretty much nobody is talking about this, so I decided to make a video which explains what I've learned.

I am hitting my combos consistently now, but many people are still having trouble with the inputs in this game. If you are having issues hitting relatively simple combos, give this video a watch, maybe it will solve your problem.

Last edited:
Hi infamy, great vid. I was also practicing with kenshi and came across the same problem. Question for you, I've been trying to do some of his combos using RUN after doing a pop up. Any tips on using run after a pop up? I can't remember the exact the string it was, but it hits the opponent higher and further than the rising karma. The timing is very tricky.

Thanks

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This can be true of netural jump normals as well. If you hold up (buffered), and quickly press the normal after the jump, the jump normal sometimes doesn't come out. Tap up and it's fine.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Classic negative edge, been around since street fighter 2. It was there to do a ducking fierce and roll into fireball with one press.

Great tip on calming down the inputs. I go nuts and get all sorts of inputs sometimes even when the combo comes out.

Dark_Rob

Noob
This can be true of netural jump normals as well. If you hold up (buffered), and quickly press the normal after the jump, the jump normal sometimes doesn't come out. Tap up and it's fine.
Another way to remedy this and still be able to hold up(buffered) is to just quickly slide your thumb across 1 and 2 as you jump. So even if 1 doesn t come out, 2 will. Basically doubling your chances of getting the NJP out.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Good stuff! As someone who has been playing these games for years, it's the little things that you forget that you do intuitively.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
I always tell my friends who are new to fighting games that doing combos is like playing the piano, you play the notes the song requires but if you mash extra it'll sound like garbage.

Good video man.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Excellent video for beginners or people having trouble adapting. I think a lot of us that have played previous MK games will admit that the timing is definitely more strict for MKX. It took me a couple of hours to get combos with run cancelling down.

Bilbo11

Noob
this is a great way to explain it, well done. Do you have any techniques for run combos? I don't know if im just not doing them properly or im just hammering the control too fast but i can't seem to land anything but a dash after a pop up

Alucard

The worst good player ever.
this is a great way to explain it, well done. Do you have any techniques for run combos? I don't know if im just not doing them properly or im just hammering the control too fast but i can't seem to land anything but a dash after a pop up
I generally hold block then input the ff. I don't think running is absolutely necessary at all times tho.

Bilbo11

Noob
yea not necessary all the time, but for the run combos I mean, I can only get them out like 10% of the time :-/

it might come down to muscle memory IDK, just having trouble grasping the change

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
A perfect example of this is scorpions 123 db4 combo. More often than not, the game gives me a tele rather than demon since it reads db and then releasing 3 rather than pressing 4. Even tho my inputs say 123 db4. Gonna be great to switch this off.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Great for beginners, but I recommend talking about run canceling in some combos, but that's more on an advanced level.

Varion

Noob
What is run canceling? Can someone direct me into a guide that will turn me from a newb to the shiek of MK?

Lol, as soon as you mentioned the first part of the release, I slapped myself in the face and sighed as my mouth muttered... negative edge, damn it. Lol, thanks! Was getting real frustrated with Scorpion's 123 DB4.