What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Variations Thread

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Credit to The Kombat Tether & @PND_Ketchup

JOHNNY CAGE VARIATIONS

Fisticuffs: (Gold 'CAGE' knuckle-dusters)
Adds Fist Bump and Flashy combos and normal attacks.

Stunt Double: (Green tinted sunglasses)
Adds the ability to create Stunt Double Mimic moves.

A-List: (Black forearm bandages)
Can Charge Normal and Special moves for increased damage.

UNIVERSAL SPECIALS
  • Low Forceball
  • High Forceball
  • Nut Breaker
  • Shadow Kick
  • Rising Kick

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
From polygon.com:

Johnny Cage's signature moves, like his slide kick and crotch punch, span his three fighting styles, but "A-List" lets players charge certain normal and special attacks for increased damage. The risk-reward is that charged attacks take a little longer to actually execute, but it's a good opportunity to mix up your moves and inflict more damage if you connect.

Cage's other variations include "Fisticuffs," in which Johnny is outfitted with a pair of brass knuckles (that, of course, read C-A-G-E across the front). Fisticuffs adds a move called fist bump that increases the damage of certain moves for a limited period of time and gives Johnny some flashy combos.

Cage can also fight with a "Stunt Double" variation, with which he can create yellow mimics of himself. Instead of performing his signature slide kick or rising uppercut himself, he can launch a ghostly mimic to perform the same move. Stunt Double limits his fireball throwing ability, however. Instead of tossing two fireballs in two different arcs, a la Mortal Kombat 2, Stunt Double Cage can only throw them in a straight horizontal line, as in the original Mortal Kombat.

Did anybody catch the visual cues for the variations? The brass knuckles were obvious for the Fisticuffs variation, but I didn't catch the other two.

Also, Noob Saibot lives through the stunt double variation.

E

Eldriken

I think Stunt Double is going to be one of Cage's best variations. There's probably going to be a loooot of time going into that for setups, combo extensions, etc.

E

Eldriken

Stunt or fist both look great, A-list looks awful.
Tyler did say that A-List was going to be for the hardcore gamers to have fun with. I guess there's going to be a lot of potential for tech with it. I guess we'll see.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Noob Saibot replaced by stunt double Johnny? Kinda like how Johnny was replaced by Hollywood Cassie?

:DOGE

REYTHEGREAT

You guys are forgetting by the fisticuffs gives Johnny cage an increased chip damage like batgirl.

But stunt double seems to be the best.

greedface

Beat SonicFox in a first to 100 and I have proof.
Johnny Cage's stunt doubles should looks like a guy dressed as Johnny Cage. Not yellow Kenshi powers

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
A-List = Kabal ?
We'll have to wait and see, when I saw the demonstration that's what popped into my mind as well. There's definitely at least some mind game potential there if nothing else. If you ask me just the thought of Cage with real zoning tools (stunt double) is more scary than anything else.

I like the way they're doing the character variations so far; most of the characters in MK9 were total one trick ponies and the only characters that really did well were the ones that could threaten you with something no matter where they were on the screen (Lao, Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya) while everyone else had one or two things going for them and that's it. If Subby didn't have you in the corner or didn't have a life lead he wasn't scary, if Cage wasn't in your face pressing buttons he wasn't scary.

Last edited:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Is it bad that when i read the description for A-list, that i immediately though of Captain Falcon . . . . .and got super amped lol

Shaaaaaaadooow kiiick!

n9195v

Noob
I feel like A-list will be the least used out of the gate but will become the most popular after everyone learns the game. Since you can cancel the specials with a dash you're going to be able to cancel the dash into a run and then cancel the run, hence the Kabal comments. I'm not sure how instant run cancels are but we may be talking some serious pre-patch Kabal advantage on block here, which wouldn't be broken now because your stamina meter would probably only allow you to do it twice. Also it's probably going to be a tool to build meter.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Yep, first time I saw Stunt Double variation I thought -> Noob hijacked. That is not good.

In a corner with Stunt Double could you possibly launch someone with EX Nut Punch, and juggle with a string ending with a Shadow Uppercut, then finish with a Stunt Double Shadow Uppercut (since it uses the EX version) or SD Shadow Kick?

Lone

KHAOTIC
I don't think any of us can say that for sure right now. But as far as ending combos go, wouldn't you aim to standing reset them with a regular nut punch? Judging from the footage, it's still possible.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
For the most part, you should aim to finish a combo with a Nut Punch to get a standing reset. However, that juggle sounds like it would do rather well as a match-ending combo.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Fisticuffs: This seems to be the variation for those who prefer to be pure rushdown and in your face, which is also my style. This seems to be for those who mained Cage in MK9 and just like to get inside, punish their opponent, and end the match quick. Also gives a damage increase both in Fist Bump and also when at low health, which makes me wonder if the damage boosts will stack together.

Stunt Double: The answer to our prayers from MK9, which is an answer to zoning characters, something that Cage didn't have unless he had meter, and even then he just had the Enhanced Shadow Kick. Also works to string together some pretty damaging juggle combos like the one mentioned above.

A-List: This seems to be the variation for those who want to build meter. The ability to charge your special attacks, and also dash cancel out of them to build some meter up. Also could see the higher-tier players use this for mindgames and tech. So much cancelling.

Thus far, I'm leaning more towards Fisticuffs due to the rushdown aspect, but Stunt Double looks like something that I'll be experimenting with quite a bit.

I also wanna see that move (forgot the name) where he stands still and throws a lot of really quick standing punches out on the spot, imaging that as a brutality!!! It would be like Kung Lao but standing

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Stunt double could be amazing in the corner, and even with the danger mode on im sure the stunt doubles will be enhanced too
You only gets that boost in Fisticuffs, also every character has a "danger mode flash" it's to show that a brutality can be performed most likely.