What's new

Johnny Cage General Discussion thread

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So, Our Super Star no longer has Seido powers, but yet again, he has a more unique mechanic that gameplay wise seems way more useful and does a lot more for him than the green energy ever did.

Things I took a good look at:

The Hype meter, canceling specials with Specials, adds SF a sort of Ex 2 plus (Excel) system but just for specials, which is by far a very unique mechanic for a single character in the game

Hype meter allows Cage to cancel some stuff like Nut Punch, but also extends the recovery of Shadow Kick, maybe he can add a kameo to close that gap and be safe

He also has a Side Swipe, for those that dunno what it is, it's a jumping kick that seems to be overhead and dodges lows in the process giving a launcher, (neat)

Once the Hype meter is full he can also spare meter and use the hype meter instead to do huge amount of combos.

Can use a bar and break a character's arm, preventing them to throw for 10 seconds (yo, that's cray)

By far one of the most original characters, can't wait to see the rest of the roster and what they have to offer, I think the game in presentation wise and animated wise, looked a bit better here, or it's just placebo effect, we'll see, compelled to pre-order the game now.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Gonna miss Seido but I like that they gave him a dedicated mechanic that seems "Showstopper" esque. A character with no* projectiles! I wonder how big Kameos are going to be for a character like this but I like the dedication to a cool design

And the dash move is swaggy, excited for Van Damme

Last edited:
Gonna miss Seido but I like that they gave him a dedicated mechanic that seems "Showstopper" esque. A character with not projectiles! I wonder how big Kameos are going to be for a character like this but I like the dedication to a cool design

And the dash move is swaggy, excited for Van Damme
I think he will get it in the story mode leading into the second game.

so he will have green energy again in MK2 just like back in the day.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Never really used Cage. But them changing a lot of how he plays now has me interested. He looks pretty insane and fun. I feel like I’m gonna have to learn just about every character in this game just for the fun of it, lol

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
Never really used Cage. But them changing a lot of how he plays now has me interested. He looks pretty insane and fun. I feel like I’m gonna have to learn just about every character in this game just for the fun of it, lol
i forced myself not to only stick to my main in mk11 and glad i did. because i found characters that i was more natuarally good at and if i didnt try them i would have never known. i really like johnny cages new moves and i will definately be trying him out. in mk11 i actually used his showstopper moves and calling out his extra an mines and had so much fun with that. i also plan on trying out the entire cast. why not?

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
I love, love, LOVE his kit. I wanted a more aggressive Johnny again and it looks like I got my wish. My only problem is his design is plain. Really plain.
i think he looks and acts more human. that green glow is his signature moves but i like the new look of his shadow kick. also his fireballs were standard and had different arcs but with cameos he can definately have some projectiles to his rush down kit. im loving it

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Have to say cage has always been one of my favorite characters in the series…he’s dripping with swag here!

I agree I’m going to miss his powers but he looks super dope so far!

Definitely curious to see how Van Dam puts a spin version of cage!

Here’s to hoping we get some cool references to his movies in his dialogue (John Claude Van Johnson references anyone..?)!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think he looks hella powerful. Have to lab to see, but he looks bonkers with all those tools like specials cancelling into specials.. With kameos keeping things safe.. Also he has a full double dash... He is going to be a styling mega combo legend.

Also... There is a chance for original MK Jonny as a kameo.. And he might have green goop there.

Jynks

Depends if people can work out safe set ups for it.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I was never interested in Cage with the NRS games but damn this impressed the hell out of me. His gameplay is the best it's ever been. His star mechanic is great and the dude's combo potential is insane.

Jynks

Also yiy effectly have 4 bars of meter as well lol....

I wonder how strong the arm break thing will be. Mix + Throws have been strong since mk9.. It could reduce a lot of pressure if you Tech a throw with your back to the wall.

Sometimes I wish this place had a dislike button. There's no emmot to just say.. "rubbish" when you havnt the strength to argue
Why? The guy doesn't have any zoning moves but can get a zoning cameo and now he breaks throws, gets special cancel into special cancels times infinity AND dashes like Kabal. I like him a lot but fighting against that is bs lol. Meanwhile Liu Kang doesn't get a perk, Kitana doesn't get a perk. Etc. Johnny can do 50% withput a single bar.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Why? The guy doesn't have any zoning moves but can get a zoning cameo and now he breaks throws, gets special cancel into special cancels times infinity AND dashes like Kabal. I like him a lot but fighting against that is bs lol. Meanwhile Liu Kang doesn't get a perk, Kitana doesn't get a perk. Etc. Johnny can do 50% withput a single bar.
Are you seriously complaining that a character seems too good? Yeah, he looks wild, but we have absolutely no idea how this game will even work competitively. Cage could end up being mid tier for all we know, relax lol.

Are you seriously complaining that a character seems too good? Yeah, he looks wild, but we have absolutely no idea how this game will even work competitively. Cage could end up being mid tier for all we know, relax lol.
If they nerf his damage output then yeah. I'm trying to be objective. So far he's one of my favorites