What's new

It's Sareena's time, she is usually a 3 demons deal, so...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The Sisterhood of Shadows:

The sisterhood of Shadows are composed specifically by 3 Demons, a type of race you don't see often in Mortal Kombat games, and as of NRS era, not a single demon was featured in a NRS game as a playable character yet.

Sareena has always been missing the mark ever since MK9 as a playable character, she was a Kameo in The pit for MK9 and didn't make it to the final roster,, a Kameo in MKXL storymode and didn't make it to the final roster,, and a Kameo in Sub-Zero's/Kabal Ending if not mistaken, yet didn't make into the final roster either, that's 10 years lmao.

Maybe this is the time NRS will bring Sareena back(I hope lol), but, I've always said, Sareena is a deal for 3, as she never ever fights alone, Sareena always has the company of her two sisters, Kia and Jataaka which were all a boss Characters in MK Mythologies., and also they all fought Taven all at once, with Sareena on the offense, Jataaka on the backup, and Kia as Support Healer.

Playstyles:

Kia:

In Mythologies, Kia is the most simplier Character in the game, as she has only a bladed Boomerang, but the way she uses in game, gives hints on how she was supposed to be a Setup character, Kia's Boomerang behaves differently from any other version presented in MK, they usually travel much slower than normal, as on top of regular fire, her returnarangs are far more complex, as they can make an U turn and before comeback, can go up, then go back, then go forward again, it definitely has weird patterns, She also has a lot of kick animations. In MKA she has the power to heal her allies and herself.

Jataaka (The silver Demon)

Two things about this character that definitely stands out, she has silver hair, and carries a Sword just like Kenshi, however, Jataaka was never really fleshed out past mythologies, in that game, she can fire an energy from the sword, and that's about it, and her MKA version didn't do anything other than stare at Taven while taking hits, and while also fighting bare handed.

On Studio Files it's where you get to see what this character was supposed to be, as many of her moveset didn't made into the end version of the game,Jataaka was designed, with a good amount of Slashes, Leap Slashes, and even a rolling attack (Similar to Garuda) using the sword to make herself invulnerable, which makes me believe, Jataaka was intended to be a Stance character, back in the day,MK characters used to have low jabs and high jabs, Jataaka had these animations but with her blade slashing multiple times to emulate the same situation, she also had a Jump slash, on top of the leap slash.

(Note: These speculation already falls under the water as Kenshi in mk1 plays exactly as Jataaka would probably play if she was to be a playable character in a MK game, she is just cursed at this point)

Sareena

Sareena was the only character of the trio that had more exposure from 2007-2019 non top, as she was the only character to be playable at least once, but having 2 different movesets

Mythologies Sareena, has two Kamas in her hands,which she can throw at the opponent, she can also spin like Kung Lao,, these are the only 2 moves that made to the final version of mythologies, outside of her Kama's strings and stylish kicks,, but the studio files reveal a lot more.
A Chargeable gut punch and a backhand spring were all she had.

in MKA, she was broken as her style changed and she came with two small knifes she could fire as fast as pre patch Mk9 skarlet, that was the play.

I have no idea, what NRS will do, but if they bring Sareena as a playable character, Kia and Jataaka will definitely be Kameos, as I said, Sareena is usually a 3 Demons deal rather than just one, either she is playable with others 2 making appearances or none of them are, or she will be cursed as a Kameo again, besides, Bi-Han is Sub-Zero this time, and there are Rumors than Quan Chi is DLC, and these 2 impact Sareena's story heavily in the timeline, so her chances are definitely better than in previous games, lets see.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Sareena really deserves to be in. One of the most interesting female characters of MK, on par with Kitana potentially imo. Wouldn't mind seeing Kia and Jataka as kameos either.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yeah, yeah, I love Sareena too :)

NRS has been pretty unfair with her, you can see in a lot of leaks, that she appears as a Kameo only, so, unfortunately, NRS seems that will not let her be playable again .... only just relegated as a subpar kameo, what sucks a lot

She was rumored as playable since MKX, where she appreared in the story mode; in MK 11, some leaks as saying that she was consired as DLC, but was cut off in last minute, so now, that Li Mei, Ashrah and Nitara seems to be almost confirmed as part of the roster, our dear Sareena will only be a secondary kameo , if we are lucky ....

Life is fucking unfair, man, lol ! :eek:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Sareena might make base roster as DLC if she ends up being just a kameo at launch. However, I don't see Kia and Jataaka being anything but story mode fights only (yet again lol).

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Always kind of had an idea of a revision where Ashrah IS Sareena. My reasoning is that both of them are demons who served the Brotherhood of Shadow with their Sisters. Both wanted to get out of the Netherrealm and be something better. Sareena tried to get Bi Han to help her leave in exchange for helping him but was "killed" by Shinnok for the betrayal. Ashrah defied an order from Quan Chi and he sent her sisters to kill her. In her escape she find the Holy Kriss, finds it can purify her by becoming a demon hunter and gtfo of the Netherrealm. Very similar characters with the same motive. Sareena could have found the kriss, ditched her face paint and skimpy outfit for Ashrah's garb and used a false name so nobody would make the connection. She finally gets out of the Netherrealm by her own perseverance rather than riding a Sub-Zero out of there. I think the two characters could easily be combined into one and get a new moveset that shows her old and new abilities like switching between dark and light nature.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Always kind of had an idea of a revision where Ashrah IS Sareena. My reasoning is that both of them are demons who served the Brotherhood of Shadow with their Sisters. Both wanted to get out of the Netherrealm and be something better. Sareena tried to get Bi Han to help her leave in exchange for helping him but was "killed" by Shinnok for the betrayal. Ashrah defied an order from Quan Chi and he sent her sisters to kill her. In her escape she find the Holy Kriss, finds it can purify her by becoming a demon hunter and gtfo of the Netherrealm. Very similar characters with the same motive. Sareena could have found the kriss, ditched her face paint and skimpy outfit for Ashrah's garb and used a false name so nobody would make the connection. She finally gets out of the Netherrealm by her own perseverance rather than riding a Sub-Zero out of there. I think the two characters could easily be combined into one and get a new moveset that shows her old and new abilities like switching between dark and light nature.
interesting take indeed.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
I won't say no to Sareena, but her story concluded perfectly in the old timeline, so i'm not entirely certain what they can come up with for her. Bi Han is present again as SZ, sure, that's a point of interest, but in a "2 hour movie" story mode approach they still insist on there's barely enough time to develop what the current game considers main players, let alone the support cast, so to speak.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
boon says the story mode is longer than anything before... so mk11 was almost 4 hours of just cut sequences.. with another 2 and a half for the aftermath dlc. so.. I guess this will be 8-10.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
boon says the story mode is longer than anything before... so mk11 was almost 4 hours of just cut sequences.. with another 2 and a half for the aftermath dlc. so.. I guess this will be 8-10.
Might as well just forgo the cutscene-fight-cutscene-fight way of doing things and bring Konquest back, if that's the pattern here. But, of course, rendering cutscenes is much cheaper, than making a whole game within a game nowadays.

Jynks

It is also a lot better for story telling... konquest was a rpg-like experience.. which is when the player creates their own story... The "film" like way the nrs story mode works is nearly perfect as it is... all it needs is some teltale style choose your own path stuff in it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The rumored World of Light mode could be a revamped konquest with multiple protagonists. Traverse a map area with a specific character, do objectives, then next area is a different character.

Jynks

The rumored World of Light mode could be a revamped konquest with multiple protagonists. Traverse a map area with a specific character, do objectives, then next area is a different character.
well they said they dumped the Krypt and have a new way to handle unlocks.. so I am expecting some kind of thing like that.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
It is also a lot better for story telling... konquest was a rpg-like experience...
Not Armageddon's it wasn't.
The "film" like way the nrs story mode works is nearly perfect as it is...
But it's been going for 15 years now, don't know about you, but it got tiresome for me.
all it needs is some teltale style choose your own path stuff in it.
They're doing that already, too bad it amounts to nothing, because, ultimately, it is indeed a film, a railroaded experience, that has little to no interactivity.