What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Issues with Scorpion that I feel should be amended (regulations included)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So we recently had the Scorpion assessment thread to get a community consensus about how the Scorpion forums feels about what Scorpion brings to the table across all variations, and for the most part, in terms of both pros and cons, we're generally in agreement.

I have personally been playing Scorpion since I first had competitive access to the game in May, overall, I currently believe he is in the upper half of the tier list, but his representation has been scarce since June, and with the way things are shaping up, he could be heading south, and it'll be due to neglect, rather than default.

I, like others, would've liked to have held out for a bit longer and let things play out before making this kind of thread, but NRS' patching system doesn't allow for that, and in all honesty we've been entitled to do this since the 214 string got fucked anyway.

I feel these issues weren't taken into account, or aren't being taken advantage of because opposition were too, or still are befuddled by the old 214 strings properties, especially in Hellfire. This is not a spur of the moment "buff him before it's too late!" thread, these are all things I have been monitoring closely for months and have wanted to make sure all of my information is correct.

Outside of Ninjutsu's damage (which, I'm inclined to think was more of a reversion than a legit buff, given how question begging the old scaling was in the first place), Scorpion has received zero help, and I think now is the time to bring to attention where he could use it.

Before I get started....

Disclaimers:

- I'm not asking for every single questionable thing to be addressed, I'm okay with Scorpion falling short at some things.

- "But Strykie, they need to focus on helping the bottom tiers first!".... nothing about this thread suggests that NRS should steer clear of doing so. Besides, with the way Shinnok, Kitana, and somewhat even Liu Kang have turned out, is it wise for NRS to take advice of helping claimed "bottom tiers" just because?

- If there is an issue that I point out that your character also has, it probably pertains to a universal mechanic, and I implore you to do the same for your character. If you're just gonna give me sentimental shit about it because you were able to do so in threads for other not-bottom-tier characters who have had help suggested for them, don't even try me, I'll make your life on TYM miserable.

- No matter how hard we try, some people just... don't like to read. So I'll forewarn that I'm only suggesting 1 buff for Hellfire, and it's only as a tertiary choice if NRS aren't prepared to make the necessary changes to make my initial suggestions practical.

Okay, here we go....

Armor

Some people persisted that Scorpion didn't need armor early in the game's life, but by now, the gig is officially up, Scorpion's armor is categorically unacceptable. And with the improvements given to other character's armor, his now sits amongst the worst in the game, and I feel he needs an armored starter that can be used at any time to keep up rather than settle for 14% and be forced to respect a wake-up immediately afterwards.

Keep in mind, I'm only proposing that one of the suggestion tiers are implemented, not all of them, and that these changes are only being suggested for the EX versions.

Primary suggestions:
Armor on EX Minion Grab in Inferno, startup reduced to 16 frames, tracking now the same as the regular Minion Grab, should remain just as unsafe. (IMO, this would be the fairest way to do this, as it would keep Inferno competitively relevant and fit right in with the counter-zoning economics of the variation. If it remains at 28 frames, it would still be far too easy to break through the armor nor properly punish something out of it's recovery frames. May potentially be considered too braindead.)

Known optimal damage if this is given: 31%

Armor on EX Minion Charge, (note: in game frame data on this move is incorrect) startup reduced to 23 frames, block advantage reduced to -5. All other properties should remain the same. This would compliment Inferno with a safer armored option if EX Minion Grab is being respected.

Known optimal damage if this is given: 15%

Secondary suggestion:
Armor on EX Spear, now a true mid, block advantage increased to -21.

Long story short, we're not assholes, we're not banking on NRS not noticing the frame data and giving us a safe non-stamina dependant armored launcher. The problem with this is that Inferno would no longer have a safe mixup option and this would almost certainly pull the trigger on the variation.

Known optimal damage if this is given:
Inferno: 29%
Ninjutsu: 29%
Hellfire: 26%

Tertiary suggestion:
Armor on EX Flame Aura, block advantage increased to -16, activation and ticks now do same damage as regular version.

I'll take it if I must, but I'm worried that this would turn Hellfire in the uber variation all over again. Would be the least braindead armored option given that linking from it takes a keen eye, but may be too good in the hands of a seasoned Hellfire player.

As things stand: 37%
With my suggested regulation: 32%

Alternate primary suggestion:
MB option from EX spear now a separate move, retains same properties but goes straight into the flaming animation on hit without costing further meter, EX version armored and unsafe on block. Same properties as regular spear beforehand.

While I think this would be a good way to keep the move relevant whilst not having to sacrifice the safety of regular EX spear, I'm not sure if it's too much legwork for NRS to implement.

Inferno: 31%
Ninjutsu: 30%
Hellfire: 29%

Strings/Normals
- D1 hit advantage increased to +13, no change to any other properties
- D4 startup increased to 10 frames, hit advantage increased to +22

As things stand, it's impossible for Scorpion to guarantee himself any kind of check from the max range of these pokes outside of Ninjutsu, and it's not practical to hit-confirm these pokes into a safe option even when you are in range without the risk or being armored backdashed, or even jumped.

But it's to my understanding that the faster your D4 is, the less hitstun you acquire from it, IMO, the hitstun to guarantee Scorpion a follow up is more important to Scorp than the startup, so if the startup has to be adjusted so that he can't just machine gun it, so be it.

- Hitstun animation of (1)2 adjusted so that (12)3 is always in range to reach.
This would allow Inferno and Ninjutsu more reliable access to their optimal damage on a punish. Trying to link from 214 has become far too inconsistent and awkward in a competitive environment, and this is coming from a guy who discovered several lesser known links and frame traps in Hellfire.

-B32 to be special cancellable
I have recently discovered that if the 2nd hit of the B32F2 string is blocked crouching, it can be interrupted by some characters, but not others. The Ninjutsu version cannot be interrupted but is punishable on block.

As demonstrated below:

If this was special cancellable, I feel Scorpion would be able to chase down with this string and keep them honest more reliably.

Normalizations
- Minion Drop to have a more distinguishable blockstun animation, remains ~-17 on block.

Admittedly I could be treading on eggshells with this suggestion, given that it's highly unlikely that NRS would restore the old Minion Grab damage scaling in return, but IMO, this is what has been giving people trouble in Inferno all along, not the damage, by instinct, people respect the low and try to react to the overhead, but I can imagine this must be stressing in a competitive environment, and by the time people recognize they have blocked the overhead, the window to punish is already gone.

- Jump 3 to have less active frames, other properties unchanged
I think we can agree this is not something we need, the fact that this can be done outside of sweep range and is still active for long enough to make contact with the opponent is overkill, and gives the opponent no consistent idea of how to defend against it, but I only suggest this if everyone's jump move with 10 or more active frames is being regulated. Otherwise, the idea of only applying this to Scorpion can go to hell.

Oh, and I'm not colluding, if the same has to apply to Jump 4 for the same reasons, so be it.

- Consistent blockstun on B32F2
I can't really throw out a number on what I think the completed string should be on block, because... I don't even know what it is right now. The in game frame data claims -9, nothing above a 7 frame reversal punishes, and even some 7 frame reversals and 6 frame normals don't punish?!

As you can see, Jax's EX GG is a 7 frame reversal, and was able to punish, but neither version of Kung Lao's EX Spin was despite also being a 7 frame reversal.

But even if it is supposed to be -9 and is corrected to be that 100% of the time, it shouldn't be that big of a deal if B32 by itself is made special cancellable like previously suggested.

Again, I don't expect every single proposed change to take place, and I believe I'm being as honest as I can be with these changes over months of careful homework. If anyone feels like there's something I'm not taking into account, or I'm making catastrophic mistakes with these ideas, by all means, let me know.

@Slips
@YOMI MITYEAP
@Eddy Wang
@Scoot Magee
@JTB123
@OutworldKeith
@Triplswing
@HeroesNZ
@every Scorpion main in every variation (haven't posted a serious Scorp thread in a while, I'm rusty...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Most of it is fine, help inferno out since he's just an online scrub character in his current state . I dunno about d4/d1 changes, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuk giving Ex flame Aura armor.

iamShorteh

"Vengeance will be mine!"
As a Hellfire Scorpion main what bothers me the most is the inconsistency we have to deal with when using Fire Aura defensively. E.g. somebody JIPs from long range using Cassie, Sonya, Jason, Kung Jin, ...
Make the special hit consistenly on the whole cast (all skins), and I'd be SO happy.
Breathboxing is driving me crazy at times. A special like this getting inconsistent results when used defensively on reaction just sucks.

Last edited:

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
In layman language, these are the changes/buffs SCORPION needs from NRS to make him a great character since he is the franchise icon of the game.

GENERAL (all variations)
1. Fix his 2,1,4 string to connect better. (Keeping the opponent in the air longer)
2. Allow his back 3, 2, Forward 2 to be canceled into a special after the second hit.
3. Faster startup on his Forward 4 overhead hit.

NINJUTSU
1. Make his Back 2 a low starter and his Forward 2 an overhead starter.

HELLFIRE
1. Increase the time window to connect a combo after setting an opponent on fire with his Flame Aura.
2. Faster startup on his Flame Ball and Hell Fire.

INFERNO
1. Faster startup on his Minion Charge and Minion Drop.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Now I don't play scorpion so I'm not going to get into most of what you said but I think armor on ex spear would be ok most characters have a way to armor gaps and get a combo off of it so I Dont see a problem with it

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Very good write up man. I literally just found out about B32 when crouched blocked has an armour gap and it appears to be due to the distance you block the 2 from in the string. If you do it from max range (this means doing B3 in a range you never would though) then they can't armour out even when not in Ninjutsu. Frame data is several kinds of messed up for this string.

I agree with the D1/D4 changes, and the change to 1-2 hitstun. J3 change is fine also but as you said as long it applies to other jump attacks.

I think armour on EX minion grab is risky but once people adjusted to it probably not that big of a deal. People would lose their shit on line though.

Armour on EX would be too much in my opinion, that move is already very good for a number of reasons and giving it armour would be overkill. I think aura is fine as it is. Armour on EX spear and it being a mid would be more than sufficient.

Consistent blockstun on B32F2 should be there I agree and when you consider what else is in the game as far as strings go I really don't think it's too much to ask for that string to be safe. Something like -3 or 4 so your turn is over but you can't be punished.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Ninjitsu is my secondary character.
I would recommand/hope/dream that his B2 would be like Kotal's F2.
B3, 2 to be special cancelable
Armor on EX spear and make it safe

M2Dave

Zoning Master
...but fuuuuuuuuuuuuk giving Ex flame Aura armor.
Why? While some of these suggestions are borderline psychotic, armored EX flame aura would be more tolerable than armored EX minion grab, which would be a full screen armored launcher with decent tracking that most characters would be unable to punish on block full screen away. Remember when many Smoke players demanded armor on EX smoke bomb because they were scrubs who could not get around zoning? This suggestion is not that different. But if NRS is adequately inane to hand out armor to full screen EX special move, EX trance immediately comes to mind. I am certain people would be delighted to take on the threat of a full screen armored EX special move that leads to the vortex.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Not a fan of b32 being special cancel able, but I would suggest increasing the block stun on it so that there is never a gap between the 2nd and last hit. I think his armour should just be as it is, but take down needs more + frames on hit and to be safe.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Not a fan of b32 being special cancel able, but I would suggest increasing the block stun on it so that there is never a gap between the 2nd and last hit. I think his armour should just be as it is, but take down needs more + frames on hit and to be safe.
Not a fan of B3,2 canceling into a special?! Then you must not like Scorpion, because any REAL Scorpion user would like to have that string cancelable into a special like so many other characters that can cancel into a special from a low-mid hit string. Stick to forums with characters you like playing as.

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
In layman language, these are the changes/buffs SCORPION needs from NRS to make him a great character since he is the franchise icon of the game.

GENERAL (all variations)
1. Fix his 2,1,4 string to connect better. (Keeping the opponent in the air longer)
2. Allow his back 3, 2, Forward 2 to be canceled into a special after the second hit.
3. Faster startup on his Forward 4 overhead hit.

NINJUTSU
1. Make his Back 2 a low starter and his Forward 2 an overhead starter.

HELLFIRE
1. Increase the time window to connect a combo after setting an opponent on fire with his Flame Aura.
2. Faster startup on his Flame Ball and Hell Fire.

INFERNO
1. Faster startup on his Minion Charge and Minion Drop.
Are you sure you're an activist against OP characters? Because those ninjutsu buffs would absolutely break scorpion.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
This is what I'd want as I see these things being an issue for him in the future.

-b32f2 string to not have a gap and be less negative.
-f2 be at least -3
-Takedown have more advantage on hit
-f2 in Ninjitsu to not be punishable up close
-Minion grab back to old damage scaling
-EX minion grab to be unpunishable
-It'd be nice if the old 214~tp 214~ex tp combos worked again cause I agree the 214~tp 123 is tough to connect on small characters. Especially when they start off in the corner.

To really move him up in the tier list I'd say;
Armor on EX spear
Make f4 a couple frames faster
d4 to have more advantage on hit
f2 do 11% in Inferno and Hellfire

I read some of this not all so forgive if I repeat anything.
Idk about armor on low minion but I think ex spear should have a tiny bit more block advantage personally.
Maybe a little less recovery on cancellation of teleport.
Speed up his overhead! Omg it's annoying that in some cases you can just full on poke out of this shit when you see it coming! It should like ermacs overhead kick imo...

STRYKIE

Most of it is fine, help inferno out since he's just an online scrub character in his current state . I dunno about d4/d1 changes, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuk giving Ex flame Aura armor.
Very good write up man. I literally just found out about B32 when crouched blocked has an armour gap and it appears to be due to the distance you block the 2 from in the string. If you do it from max range (this means doing B3 in a range you never would though) then they can't armour out even when not in Ninjutsu. Frame data is several kinds of messed up for this string.

I agree with the D1/D4 changes, and the change to 1-2 hitstun. J3 change is fine also but as you said as long it applies to other jump attacks.

I think armour on EX minion grab is risky but once people adjusted to it probably not that big of a deal. People would lose their shit on line though.

Armour on EX would be too much in my opinion, that move is already very good for a number of reasons and giving it armour would be overkill. I think aura is fine as it is. Armour on EX spear and it being a mid would be more than sufficient.

Consistent blockstun on B32F2 should be there I agree and when you consider what else is in the game as far as strings go I really don't think it's too much to ask for that string to be safe. Something like -3 or 4 so your turn is over but you can't be punished.
Hey hey hey. I did say armor on Flame Aura was just a last ditch thing if the other suggestions don't/can't work out :p

Why? While some of these suggestions are borderline psychotic, armored EX flame aura would be more tolerable than armored EX minion grab, which would be a full screen armored launcher with decent tracking that most characters would be unable to punish on block full screen away. Remember when many Smoke players demanded armor on EX smoke bomb because they were scrubs who could not get around zoning? This suggestion is not that different. But if NRS is adequately inane to hand out armor to full screen EX special move, EX trance immediately comes to mind. I am certain people would be delighted to take on the threat of a full screen armored EX special move that leads to the vortex.
Does it really though? The regular minion grab generally does what you're describing anyway. My line of thinking is that the variation would give him better armored reversals to work with if and when his current armor doesn't cut it for some matchups in Hellfire and Ninjutsu. It would be the Warlock Quan of Scorpion, so to speak.

Also, the armor distribution in MK9 was a mess, there's only really 6 characters who have bad armor across every variation in this game, and with the exception of Jason, solutions for them would be fairly straight forward.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Imo Ninjitsu Scorpion is the best variation and is actually very good. I would say his worst weakness is being rushed down though. It can be really hard to get people off and armor take down does leave him in somewhat of an advantageous position but is usually not worth the risk.

If Scorpion got an armored spear it would make him a lot better. He would get a much bigger reward for guessing correctly while being pressured and it will also be very good as an offensive tool depending on how negative it is. For instance, it's usually the other players turn to try to do something after a blocked f2 (I'm referring to Ninjitsu but the overhead applies as well). With the threat of EX spear they would have to be very cautious before moving in after blocking. It can also be relatively safe if done from a good distance. I use EX take down in the same manner on a good read. Usually if I have momentum for a while people are eager to do something after blocking f2. It's risky but it generates some respect. EX spear would generate a lot more.

I'm not asking for any specific changes but I do hope they do something for inferno and hellfire due to how the nerfs hurt those variations pretty badly.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Maybe if you played the game by staying full screen zoning on the ground then yeah, the move would be be broken to the highest extent. Besides that it wouldn't be able AA, would be complete death or block or whiff, and it's pretty slow to begin with. You're going against a character that could launch you at any point of the screen with ex tele, I seriously doubt giving him armor on low minion would make him unbearable.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
IMO, for the type of defenses scorpion has, his current walkspeed doesn't suit him at all, IMO he needs to walk a bit faster, not Johnny Cage stupid fast of course, but a bit faster walking either forward or backwards would improve his neutral for the better without necessarily give him too much, before its was reasonable because he had an armored teleport which was explainable why he has a slow wakspeed, but with that gone he doesn't have much on how to defend against characters that can poke all day.

Also, i like ex spear being safe, its basically the few safest specials he has to cancel in any other variation although still cost meter.
Increasing the hit advantage of D4 could be good as well as the startup up i agree with those

STRYKIE

IMO, for the type of defenses scorpion has, his current walkspeed doesn't suit him at all, IMO he needs to walk a bit faster, not Johnny Cage stupid fast of course, but a bit faster walking either forward or backwards would improve his neutral for the better without necessarily give him too much, before its was reasonable because he had an armored teleport which was explainable why he has a slow wakspeed, but with that gone he doesn't have much on how to defend against characters that can poke all day.

Also, i like ex spear being safe, its basically the few safest specials he has to cancel in any other variation although still cost meter.
Increasing the hit advantage of D4 could be good as well as the startup up i agree with those
The backwards teleport cancel does a good job to retreat and make the opponent unsure on what to do next, it just sucks that the stamina cost kills Hellfire's utility for so long. I agree that the "teleports should only be armored on wakeup" mechanic wasn't thought through properly, but I don't think NRS would see it as a reason to address something as specific as his walkspeed.

I would also prefer EX Spear to stay safe, but if it's the only way we're going to get an armored starter we should be prepared to compromise. Besides, I'm a bit worried that if NRS take my suggestion to only give armor to Inferno that they wouldn't reduce the startup on the EX minions.