What's new

Question - Summoner Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

• Yes.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 260 86.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 15 5.0%

• Total voters

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Quan is S tier because he is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most complete characters in the whole game.

We are still in a current state where Summoner is the only thought of version of Quan when this character is brought up, yet we never stop to think about what his other variations also do for him.

Summoner and Sorceror do not need explaining, they are both clearly amazing characters with one severe weakness.

Warlock covers that weakness almost completely. In a matchup Quan needs to have a more defensive element, he has Warlock to go for which still has great damage (47% for one bar if you land a full combo into MB stab/grab), his 50/50s remain unchanged on block, but he gets the option to completely guarantee a 50/50 with portal stab, counter zoning to cover matchups like Kitana and a reversal to cover any matchup he needs that threat.

Let's not forget that pre patch Warlock's reversal still didn't do a whole lot for him as it was easy to armour break, but now it's a bloody 11 frame armoured launcher that leads to around 35% damage on hit. It's literally a Kung Lao MB spin damage wise.

Quan players are still just looking for side characters for reversals rather than grind out warlock instead. I'm guilty of that myself, but I haven't had any tournaments to prepare for that called for exploring warlock more. Warlock arguably has every answer that the other variations need for certain MU's, it's just not being used yet for some reason.

Warlock, Sorcerer and Summoner together cover every Matchup in the whole game, that is why he isn't remotely mid tier.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I was going to make a post similar to this, but I'll try to keep it short and sweet since I'm just reiterating your point.

Quan Chi's defensive options in summoner are often cited as his weakness to prevent him from being top X (1, 3, 5, etc) in the game.

This does not factor in how Quan Chi's offensive can be done to ignore the opponents defensive options, making them equal to Quan Chi himself. Meaning they must block.

However Summoner Quan Chi has the best offense in the game. This turns the match into the best offense in the game (summoner) vs no defensive options but blocking ridiculious mixups (opponent). When the opponent is on offense, it turns into NOT the best offense in the game vs no defensive options but blocking, mostly.

Summoner turns every match into an arms race of offense in which he is the best at.

If he possibly loses a match it'd have to do with some sort of neutral game problem. But his neutral game is strong in many matches due to his powerful zoning, great jump attacks and long range overhead.
A very predictable analysis from a rush down fool's perspective.

A top tier character's corner offense is superior to Quan Chi's vortex. In the corner, Quan Chi has to guess between pressure strings, staggered pressure strings, overhead attacks, low attacks, and throws, all of which lead to more offense. Watch Foxy versus Mike as the most recent example, even though other characters have even better offense on Quan Chi than Kung Lao.

The reason you rush down fools keep making the claim that Quan Chi is so broken is because each night before you go to bed you pray to Paolo Garcia that he is normalized. Why will none of you have some decency for once and make this admission?

TamedLizard

Buff George
Like any other character in the game, Quan does have weaknesses, but imo the pros still far outweigh the cons.

He's still top tier. The zoning, footsies, and njp alone are enough to make people think twice when rushing Quan down before he's been knocked down.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
His backdash, njp, and pokes are extremely good. Block right and poke out.

Think about how many correct guesses it takes for you to beat quan vs how many wrong guesses it takes to be beaten by quan?

Unbeatable... No
S tier... Yes

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I disagree it's hard for him to get his offense going. Usually by the time he does the opponent has access to a breaker or armour limiting his options. He's #6 on my personal tier list.
He has one of the best jump ins in the game, Quan's J1 has godlike range. Plus with runes & full screen trance, its not that hard to get your opponent into the vortex.

Not to mention the godlike backdash, I can't tell you how many times I've backdashed something my opponent did (that would normally catch most backdashes) and whiff punished with B2

ForeverKing

You are certainly one of the most prevalent individuals with a forceful anti-zoning agenda.

Besides, you used Quan Chi today and lost to REO's week one Tremor.
Im just honest.

Just because Quan is the best character in the game doesn't mean he has 0 5-5 matchups, he has a few 5-5's here and there and Tremor might be one of them.

Also I don't know much about the Tremor vs Quan, I highly doubt me vs Reo today was anywhere near the highest level of play that matchup can be

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
He has one of the best jump ins in the game, Quan's J1 has godlike range. Plus with runes & full screen trance, its not that hard to get your opponent into the vortex.

Not to mention the godlike backdash, I can't tell you how many times I've backdashed something my opponent did (that would normally catch most backdashes) and whiff punished with B2
I love his backdash. its like the only defensive tool he has lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Not to mention the godlike backdash, I can't tell you how many times I've backdashed something my opponent did (that would normally catch most backdashes) and whiff punished with B2.
How useful was that backdash versus Master D.'s Liu Kang? LOL.

Fool, stop spreading propaganda.

Why are we still using tournament results to evaluate how good a character is?
I discuss tournament results and theory in the first post.

ForeverKing

I'm so sick of Quans variations being lumped together for the sake of convenience..

Summoner is without a doubt S tier.

Sorcerer - A tier
Warlock - Mid

Done.
Well the tag of this thread does have "Summoner" in it.... So nobody is lumping the other variations with it lol.

In general whenever you hear people say "Kung Lao is top tier" you KNOW they aren't talking about Hat Trick or Buzzsaw, it's kind of just implied they're talking about Tempest. Same goes for when people make comments like "Quan is OP all these unbreakables and mixups" you basically know they're implying Summoner.