What's new

Discussion Is MKXL 10/4 patch the most offensive version of the game?

Read OP before voting. Is this version of MKX (10/4 patch) the most offensive version of the game?

• Total voters

Matix218

Get over here!
I absolutely like the game more in its current version than I ever have before. Lets face it, offense is always going to be king in mkx, based on how quiclky you can close distance and get up in someone's face with the run mechanic that is just the way it will always be.

I am glad that they made the stamina usage more fair and balanced and that cancel characters cant just loop things over and over and it is also risky to run in because if you get caught you wont have the stamina to breaker anymore.

Also the issue with launching armor was that in many cases the characters with the best overall tools and offense also had the best launching armor moves. This means that they had waaaaaaay too many options where the risk vs reward was in their favor. Now at least everyone is on a more level playing field with regards to armor access and functionality. I don't disagree that this in a way does still favor offense because the lack of having to fear or respect a launchibg armor move means the aggressor is more free to keep pressing the offense with less risk. I still stand by the fact that the game is better and favors the better player more than it did before purely based on the stamina changes though. This game will always, ALWAYS be two things purely due to the existance of the run: offensive and fast paced. At least now it also feels like it is a good and more balanced competitive game to boot.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The interesting thing is that there's been tons of talk in favor of both zoning and space control in this version of the game. I've been seeing a lot of upplaying of Pyromancer, Kitana, and GM Sub, all of whom would probably be considered either zoning/space control characters, or characters with a 'baiting' kind of playstyle (in the case of Kitana and GM).

This kind of character takes a lot more patience to deal with in the new meta. So it seems like the system changes have had effects both on the offensive and defensive end of the spectrum for different characters/variations.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I'm in between honestly.
It should also be mentioned that characters received faster normals so they can counterpoke.
Id be fine if anti airing was more consistent. That would help the game a lot IMO.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
funny... almost every post is disagreeing, or fence sitting, but the poll is nearly even.. . ..

Matix218

Get over here!
funny... almost every post is disagreeing, or fence sitting, but the poll is nearly even.. . ..
I didnt vote because i think it is just as offense based as before, but also a way better game currently that allows for more competitive characters and actual thought from the players in my personal opinion.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Maybe, but the offense is a million times more enjoyable to use and defend against. Armored launcher kombat was fucking braindead and cancerous at times.

Espio

Kokomo
I don't think it is at all. We can bring up certain incidents of current characters that happen to be rush down characters getting better, but then what's our reply to the reality that there's no more insane jailing characters, plus frames in general significantly toned down on ex moves, running in has been weakened significantly etc. Kitana, HQT Predator, Ermac and other characters more focused on controlling space are very relevant factors. You need to worry about them, you need to know the match ups and you need to respect them. There is character variety and immensely more viable characters and play styles that are fun and worth using competitively.

Even if the game still has a focus on offense, that seems like a pretty petty complaint when zoning based characters are not only relevant meta threats, but also considered by many to be in the upper echelons of viability/tiers.

The armored launcher argument is circular because you can make an argument that it helped rushdown characters a lot too in order to keep pressure and get steal their turn back and so on, not like only defensive characters had safe armor/benefited. I'm glad they're gone and I main a character that was one of the characters who ended up benefiting most from the safe launchers via ex punch walk.

The armor break set ups have been weakened by two hit armored wake ups and reversals too, which in turn weakens offense.

But if we wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and say offense is way better now, that would be fine because defense, footsies, and zoning are all better too.

Safe Armor

Tier Whore. BS, GM, Mystic etc.
My simplified example would be...
Did high level players jump at Lao with a bar pre patch?

Do they jump at him without a fear in the world now that he has lost his armor on ex spin? If the answer is yes then offense is stronger now.

The most fun part about playing Bone Shaper was the scoop lol, now he is variationless Shinnok on BS lol.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Basically what Hayatei said

Even though they killed SD and Cage is no longer top tier

I'd still 10x prefer this version than that yolo launching armour soon as they are - bullshit

But I can see your logic and understand that not everybody has a reliable get off me move now so it feel a lot more oppressive indeed.

But in saying that the keep away game is a lot stronger than before.
I can't just run pass the zoning and yolo F3 like I did before. I actually have to think and mange my stamina effectively this time.

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
you want to be able antiair? ask for better antiairs and reduced jump normals active frames.

you want to stop holding stagger pressure? ask for 1 bar block breakers.

can we get past this boohoo my armor phase already its obvious the bums want it but the change was overrall more postive for the game. time to move on.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
If A-List caught an opponent without meter then they better make good reads on his staggers. Often times his 114 would leave people out of range for a contest to D4 AFTER holding 114, 114, 114. Man, I miss pushing that many buttons

Safe Armor

you want to be able antiair? ask for better antiairs and reduced jump normals active frames.

you want to stop holding stagger pressure? ask for 1 bar block breakers.

can we get past this boohoo my armor phase already its obvious the bums want it but the change was overrall more postive for the game. time to move on.
We have been asking for better aas, is not happening brah, NRs realizes that scrubs will not buy mk games with solid aas. Its just bad for business.

They could had make all armored launchers full combo punishable on block.

We have been asking for 1 bar pushblocks since day one it isn't happening either.

haketh

Noob
We have been asking for better aas, is not happening brah, NRs realizes that scrubs will not buy mk games with solid aas. Its just bad for business.

They could had make all armored launchers full combo punishable on block.

We have been asking for 1 bar pushblocks since day one it isn't happening either.
Casual fans will buy the game in droves regardless of AAs being strong or not, they do not care

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
The armour thing should have just been look at on a character by character basis, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

And reading most of these answers that use the talking point "armor was offense not defense bruh. you stealed back your turn everytiem 4 3" is just frying my brain. Why couldn't certain characters have their armoured launchers only work on wakeup or reversal? Then the offensive part of armour is completely gone while the defensive part stays.

And to clarify I do prefer this version of the game to last, armoured launchers in the neutral were cancer. Everyone dismissing these for-armour arguments as just scrubs who want ez wins is annoying though, there's some legit points to be spoken.

The armour thing should have just been look at on a character by character basis, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

And reading most of these answers that use the talking point "armor was offense not defense bruh. you stealed back your turn everytiem 4 3" is just frying my brain. Why couldn't certain characters have their armoured launchers only work on wakeup or reversal? Then the offensive part of armour is completely gone while the defensive part stays.

And to clarify I do prefer this version of the game to last, armoured launchers in the neutral were cancer. Everyone dismissing these for-armour arguments as just scrubs who want ez wins is annoying though, there's some legit points to be spoken.
Agreed, on the point of armor only on reversal/wake-up. I honestly thought that's how it was going to be. That way you could contest yolo EX xxx trying to steal your turn but a simple poke or normal beats it, however wake ups still have to be respected therefore defense improves and offense isn't going nuts.

I'm fine with the new version. Much prefer it over pre patch, however I don't think it's at 100%. Defense has always been lackluster in this game sadly, but I really think wake-up launching armor and no armor on "trying to steal turn ex moves" would have been the best way to go about the whole armor thing. This also wouldn't have affected zoning in the least. I. E kotal run up and ex OH on reaction against say Reptile acid ball start-up. Armor only on wake-up sounds smart so long as they're also punishable AF as well

Safe Armor

Casual fans will buy the game in droves regardless of AAs being strong or not, they do not care
Not once friends tell them that the game is "cheap" and players spam block and aa you every time. Bunch of game returns lol