What's new

Is it possible to have a perfectly balanced fighter?

Zaccel

Noob
Yes; they already made Karate Champ. Street Fighter I if you want some flair. Anything more sacrifices balance for variety, but that's fine.

Honest question, why do you say it is not attainable?

I am a semi-decent programmer and I don't think it will take me too long to start developing for the PS4. Sony have really made an effort to support indie games, and it is easier than ever before. There is at least one open source fighting game I can look at for reference, at least for ides for some things. I make good money and have savings (or credit) to contract out the art and graphics, rendering, audio aspects and anything else I need to. AS well as the many engines available to be licensed (very affordable to me as an indie developer) with extensive documentation and tutorials...I really don't think it is unattainable at all.

Does any of that change your opinion? If not, what am I underestimating?
What would your idea of a good game be? I ask because if what you describe sounds fun to me, I might donate to you (I can't afford much though).

Edit: Also, I write as a hobby. If you would like help creating a story mode, etc, I'd love to help. The writer's credit alone would be incentive enough for me.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
I like how SF5 seemed to be handling their zoning vs rush down. before you had to jump over it like a trained monkey everytime someone threw a fireball, but the new abilities allow you options.

with Bison his absorb changed the meta as you now could send it back(risky) or just absorb it(safe) at the same time the time it meant the enemy could rush you while you were absorbing it an in some cases full punish you. It didn't neutralize the fireball though it was still quite useful.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
@funkdoc what are some of these fucked up bad MUs in T5 DR, T6 BR, or TTT2? MUs can be in someone's favor but it sounds like you're talking 7-3 and maybe worse MUs. Please PM if you don't want to mess up the thread?

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
Isn't Skullgirls pretty balanced now that I think about it?
well it has less characters than your normal typical modern fighting game. So the work in "perfect" balancing is less demanding.

Now for MKX..... there are 3 variations per character. There are about 25 + DLC so if you do the math, then you would know balancing characters would get super ridiculous.