What's new

Discussion Is all the bashing killing MKX competitively?

It doesn't matter if XxCaptain_Hadouken_420xX from Twitch chat said that MKX is dying after EVO, that won't stop people from turning up at tournaments and supporting the game. And as long as that's happening, then no, the competitive scene is not being killed.

What a silly idea that is.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Ya you can't really kill nrs games. They go into this kind of coma the second year where no one kinda cares except the base but they won't die and sometimes they even show signs of life. Then the next one comes out.

A couple notes.

The ESL numbers and money.

The fact that only SFV and Smash brothers have more entrants at Combo Breaker.

What is being killed, exactly?
Tekken 7, Bhalla, SFV, and Smash all have more entrants

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
A couple notes.

Where do you see this data? I think the Combo breaker Twitter has MKX 5th - well behind Tekken and only 31 more entrants than skull girls.

I want MKX to last but it concerns me that it's not doing better despite all the developer support.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
There are a couple of things MKX has going against it.

It doesn't have the professional support from korean and japanese sponsors that will financially support all kinds of players to devote everything to the game for its lifespan. That band of players keep tournaments full and hype. Yomi is the closest thing we have but it's really not the same.

It doesn't have an extended support structure and people have figured out the NRS formula of dropping their game after a year to heighten hype for next release. If it had continued support and NRS weren't coy about it then it would help the game.

It doesn't get a lot of cross FGC appeal. I think it's mostly the block button thing but MK games just don't resonate with many other FGC patrons like other games.

That being said. This game's scene may be shrinking but it's not dying. Hell the competitive meta isn't even the worst it's been for MKX, despite how differently you'd think from all the whining. It's a lull between tournaments and the same names are winning in ESL so it dulls down the hype. The game has its problems but people complaining about things that have been in the game since day 1 are really just letting salt get to them.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I like this game, fuck the haters. If anything, I'm emo that I can't go to CEO for this game this year.

No game is perfect and it's ultimately up to the individual to decide what they're okay with and what they aren't.

Of course, you'll always have people try to tear down others' fun so they can have other people to be miserable with. I'm a fan of the false narrative that NRS doesn't communicate with its fans, when on more than one occasion 16 Bit has answered or explained why something exists in the game, only to be ignored or bashed publicly.

With the amount of vitriol that gets chucked their way, we should be lucky they post here at all.
I dont think its about hating, most of us love the game but know that it has potential to be so much better with just a few adjustments, and we express it everytime we get a chance.

NOT because we hate the game in the contrary we just love it that much to take time off our life and argue about it on a forum.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
Where do you see this data? I think the Combo breaker Twitter has MKX 5th - well behind Tekken and only 31 more entrants than skull girls.

I want MKX to last but it concerns me that it's not doing better despite all the developer support.
1. I was wrong, sorry. I glanced at it yesterday and missed Tekken and I think another game.

2. Skullgirls being so close is not normal for Skullgirls. It's not like MKX has fallen to Skullgirls numbers. Combo Breaker could be the biggest SG tournament ever.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I thought MK9 had more balance issues? According to people, MK9 had legit 10-0 matchups while MKX's worst matchups are only 7-3. Yet MK9 was kept afloat for surprisingly long.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I thought MK9 had more balance issues? According to people, MK9 had legit 10-0 matchups while MKX's worst matchups are only 7-3. Yet MK9 was kept afloat for surprisingly long.
Because MK9s core mechanics were much better, character balance could have been fixed with one more good patch, but it never came.

No amount of patching is going to take away armor into full combo, random overheads and lows, running in the neutral, advancing strings, lack of legit defense, game wide anti airs, diverse playstyles, ect which is the core problem with the game for most people

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Because MK9s core mechanics were much better, character balance could have been fixed with one more good patch, but it never came.

No amount of patching is going to take away atmor into full combo, random overheads and lows, running in the neutral, advancing strings, lack of lefit defense, game wide anti airs, diverse playstyles, ect which is the core problem with the game for most people
What is a "random overhead?"

I'm pretty sure if it's a part of a string or special move, then it was deliberately coded in i.e. not random.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
What is a "random overhead?"

I'm pretty sure if it's a part of a string or special move, then it was deliberately coded in i.e. not random.
I'm sure he means that have OHs/lows in them but don't actually need them, like Alien's F134 and (imo) half of butterface's strings.

A couple notes.

I agree but you can't really use that second fact as numbers are always embellished by the promoters to make it appear that they reached the limit or went beyond the limit.

Same thing happened with Vince McMahon and the supposed "true" WrestleMania 3 numbers for people who actually attended that year's big event.

Players who want to play will travel and compete. People bashing the game won't change that. However, TYM is in its worst ever state. It's flat out terrible, and the community is definitely killing any potential hype around the competitive scene. It's flat out cancerous. A real shame.
The community is only as bad as the players and what type of players we have. Arguably, we have the biggest cast of tournament players in this game alone but we have the LOWEST variability rates of winners. 9 times out of 10, there's only one person winning and I don't need to say the golden child's name because you and I and EVERYONE non-MKX player or player knows. Small things like that deters away any sort of new attraction to your venue. Of course it does add to it because there will always be the ANTI group who want to see the person lose it all, on the grandest stage of them all. But, the chance of that is usually slim and none.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I'm sure he means that have OHs/lows in them but don't actually need them, like Alien's F134 and (imo) half of butterface's strings.
That's still not "random."

It was deliberately coded to hit that way, as in someone had to deliberately write the code to make it hit overhead/low.

Still makes no sense to call it random.