What's new

General/Other Instill Great Fear -- Sinestro General Discussion Thread

Alcarion

Gym rat
Shame about that black and blue costume... I like his original costume but it's got a bit too much going on nothing beats the simplicity of the black and blue costume. And his alt is pretty bad...

Shame about that black and blue costume... I like his original costume but it's got a bit too much going on nothing beats the simplicity of the black and blue costume. And his alt is pretty bad...
magnestro is cool, but yeah the classic would be nice.

Hey folks, I mainly use Harley but I'm learning Sinestro as a secondary main. I noticed that he's not the best in the damage department so I'm assuming his main gameplan is to try to zone out as much as possible. So far I find F2, D1, 3 to be great to push the opponent away. Is there a way to combo into this as a combo ender, or is there a more practical way to push the opponents away?

I started maining Hal, but after seeing how much hes used, it pretty much turned me off. My plan was to main Hal and use Shazam and Sinestro as alts, but i decided to now main Sinestro. Im not gonna lie. When i first started using him, i noticed the speed difference between him and Hal. Hal is also slightly stronger(even moreso with trait). After getting beat constantly, ive come to realize that while i wouldnt consider him a complete zoner, hes a nice mixture of both zoning and close combat.
I started doing ranked matches, 12 so far. Im 8 and 4. Yea i know its not much, but considering i started 1 and 3, lol i think thats a nice turn around. What i like about Sinestro is that hes not easy sauce like most characters played. For anyone maining him, my advice is to not give up. I have over 10 hourse in just practice alone, lol.

And to answer GyudonKillers question.... A good way to knock opponents back is with 223 i believe. They dont go as far back as the f2 d1 3, but it creates some breathing room. Or you can try the 22 up3.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Also remember that the second hit in both the f2d13 and the b213 strings hit low. This is a good portion of his zoning and if used well will force an opponent to block low setting up the b2-f3 overhead. The second hit in f2d13 can also be hit confirmed into shackles for extra combo damage. Sinestro really isn't that bad. His biggest flaw is the lack of a strong wake up attack.

I have found that a lot of sinestro strings are unsafe so I really try and get his trait out ASAP. I haven't had much of a problem. I push block pressure characters off and once you get them out his range is pretty ridiculous. The combo I have posted above has served me quite well on and offline. It stuffs a lot of jump ins with the j2 and after that canceling into the axe raise makes the combo free. Sometimes even without the trait you can pull of a jab into shackles and get a full combo from that. With the trait it's even easier. Any feedback positive or negative will be taken into consideration. Sinestro is receiving a lot of hate and I personally believe its bullshit because even after his nerfs he's still a very solid character. You just have to think before you start mashing out unsafe go to strings. It's sort of a waiting game but the reward puts a grin on my face every time.

Sinestro is clearly badly designed. I'm not sure why playtesters allowed this.

According to Tom Brady there are no links in this game only cancels. That is patently not true since you cannot cancel directly into shackle from some moves (eg, b13), but you have to time it correctly. Same with standing 3. This is a link.

His zoning tools are terrible and his moves are too slow given how quick some of the characters are. He has no range with his normals (other than 3, which isn't much).

His move properties are so bizarre as to be broken. I have to wonder if the guy was even prorammed correctly: why can't i MB rocks when I cancel into it? I can't. At all. Ever. If I do the move alone, then I can, no problem. THis is wildly inconsistent game design, which is about the best way to sum him up.

Very unfortunate. I have tried asking about this on here, but noone has any answers so I have to assume that the devs didn't code him correctly. I can only hope there is a patch due.

Sinestro is clearly badly designed.

That is patently not true since you cannot cancel directly into shackle from some moves (eg, b13), but you have to time it correctly. Same with standing 3. This is a link.

His zoning tools are terrible and his moves are too slow given how quick some of the characters are. He has no range with his normals (other than 3, which isn't much).
what the? why not just do b13 b13 into shackles if you don't wanna time it? his zoning tools are just fine, not sure if you appreciate how good an overhead projectile is and i'm 99.9999% this is a troll post.

what the? why not just do b13 b13 into shackles if you don't wanna time it? his zoning tools are just fine, not sure if you appreciate how good an overhead projectile is and i'm 99.9999% this is a troll post.
Well, firstly b13 isn't safe, so it's not what I would consider a BnB combo even though it can be effective.

But more importantly, you can't cancel into shackles. You have to time it; it's a link. That's my point. If you try and cancel it it either doesn't come out at all (too early) or it fizzles (too late). Therefore it has to be timed - that's what a link is. With respect, I think Tom Brady is mistaken to say this game has no links. Either that or something isn't coded right with Sinestro's move. I don't really understand what else could be going on.

His zoning tools aren't great. That's not to say they are bad moves, they are just not very effective at controlling space. Fireball doesn't really move the opponent, and given how quick some of the characters are it's slow by comparison. Rock is useless if the opponent is moving and can't be MB'd out of a combo for some reason (which would mean you could cancel into shackles). It doesn't move them back either and the recovery time isn't great.

That leaves d2 and a couple of combos, such as f2 d1 3 as a means to push back, and most of his combos require him to be extrmely close to the opponent.

For a zoning character his design is inexplicable.

yeah, i probably shoulda read more comments. i never realized how meh ol' sinestro was unfortunately, so my earlier comment now seems a bit naive lol. imma still stick with him though.

I think we're all sticking with him. Hopefully we can all help each other out by continuing to upload our tech due to his current design.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Someone please explain to me why his 2 is labeled as a "Mid" when all but three characters (Lex Luthor, Doomsday, and Bane) can duck it....

Well, firstly b13 isn't safe, so it's not what I would consider a BnB combo even though it can be effective.

But more importantly, you can't cancel into shackles. You have to time it; it's a link. That's my point. If you try and cancel it it either doesn't come out at all (too early) or it fizzles (too late). Therefore it has to be timed - that's what a link is. With respect, I think Tom Brady is mistaken to say this game has no links. Either that or something isn't coded right with Sinestro's move. I don't really understand what else could be going on.

His zoning tools aren't great. That's not to say they are bad moves, they are just not very effective at controlling space. Fireball doesn't really move the opponent, and given how quick some of the characters are it's slow by comparison. Rock is useless if the opponent is moving and can't be MB'd out of a combo for some reason (which would mean you could cancel into shackles). It doesn't move them back either and the recovery time isn't great.

That leaves d2 and a couple of combos, such as f2 d1 3 as a means to push back, and most of his combos require him to be extrmely close to the opponent.

For a zoning character his design is inexplicable.
god these forums are ass sometimes. WRONG!

Also remember that the second hit in both the f2d13 and the b213 strings hit low. This is a good portion of his zoning and if used well will force an opponent to block low setting up the b2-f3 overhead. The second hit in f2d13 can also be hit confirmed into shackles for extra combo damage. Sinestro really isn't that bad. His biggest flaw is the lack of a strong wake up attack.
ya lol at arachnoid... just duck it for a full combo! wtf!

Death

Noob
After MB Impact Event~Final Shackles. What do you guys do?

Is this your chance to activate trait, dash up and pressure? Keep zoning?

Dayvo

My english it's not good

It depends of your rival. Normally I charge trait, but sometimes is risky(For example, Superman, Joker, Flash... Have long range supers that can punish you hard if you are offguard). I usually use another Impact when I have the trait out, giving a Hard knockdown and giving me time for another Impact Event-fireball, covered with the trait in case you miss

fnLeX

Noob

According to Tom Brady there are no links in this game only cancels. That is patently not true since you cannot cancel directly into shackle from some moves (eg, b13), but you have to time it correctly. Same with standing 3. This is a link.

His move properties are so bizarre as to be broken. I have to wonder if the guy was even prorammed correctly: why can't i MB rocks when I cancel into it? I can't. At all. Ever. If I do the move alone, then I can, no problem. THis is wildly inconsistent game design, which is about the best way to sum him up.

Very unfortunate. I have tried asking about this on here, but noone has any answers so I have to assume that the devs didn't code him correctly. I can only hope there is a patch due.

Just because YOU can't accomplish something doesn't mean its not possible..Sinestro CAN in fact combo into a MB rock you just need trait to do so. I do it offline consistently and online occasionally lol

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

This is a bad post

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Trait if full screen or FB then charge off + on it

If MB boulder close then combo off of it

From almost full scren (if not actually) sinestro cannot recover from his fireball before Bane's charge (which goes through the fireball) hits.

Just because YOU can't accomplish something doesn't mean its not possible..Sinestro CAN in fact combo into a MB rock you just need trait to do so. I do it offline consistently and online occasionally lol
I think you misunderstood what I said.

If i cancel from a combo (doesn't really matter what) into rocks, pressing MB won't do anything.

how will using the trait change that?