What's new

Input methods in NRS games (alternate and normal controls)

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I think I made a thread about this a while back. A lot of people (myself included) have issues with the input methods in NRS games. The main issue I have is that normal controls are too easy and alternate controls are too hard. It's been like this since the first Injustice.

In normal controls it's very easy to get moves accidentally. If I block low and go to punish with a move that requires a forward input I could accidentally get a special move out if I do it too fast. That's just one instance but you can apply it to a lot of other situations. This problem is fixed with alternate controls which is great.

Alternate controls have a different issue. Back forward moves are now full half circles. If you want to avoid the accidental inputs you have to deal with that. You actually have to hit every point in the half circle which could really be a pain in the ass during a match. I just feel the motion is a bit too strict.

I think a good solution would be to apply some sort of input leniency to half circle motions when the "easier inputs" option is selected or even let us keep the back forward motion. I think it would be a huge quality of life change for those who struggle with accidental inputs.

I think adding alternate controls was a step in the right direction but I think it can be improved. As of now alternate and normal controls seem to work better for certain characters in a lot of cases. I find myself switching to normal controls for some and alternate for others. It's really annoying to have to deal with that.

Does anyone else have issues with the control methods in this or other NRS games?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Yeah I do too but I always chalked it up to my rather poor execution. I have a bad habit of doing inputs very fast which causes me to get things im not going for. For example with Superman in his tutorial it asks you to do a small string into ex ice breathe, but I kept eye beams quite a few times before changing things up and finally getting what I wanted.

I keep messing with the controller options but I am pretty much turning it all off and going to work on playing that way as it seemed better when I did.

Scoot Magee

Well I think that people with these issues are in the minority. I don't think a lot of people actually use alternate controls. I was just hoping to bring some extra attention to the issue. I've dealt with it before but like I said it would be a big QOL change imo.

Scoot Magee

I would also like to bring up the fact that the back dash input is way too lenient in this game. I get accidental back dashes all the time when trying to inch back for spacing or tap back to block after going to neutral. I'm sure other people have to be having these issues, I can't be the only one.

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
Have you tried turning off negative edge? It's helped me with what I believe you're describing. I had trouble with Harley Quinn's tutorial, single fire into tantrum stance. I kept getting single fire into some other shot with a large bullet, I turned off negative edge and I was able to properly do a special cancel.

Scoot Magee

Have you tried turning off negative edge? It's helped me with what I believe you're describing. I had trouble with Harley Quinn's tutorial, single fire into tantrum stance. I kept getting single fire into some other shot with a large bullet, I turned off negative edge and I was able to properly do a special cancel.
The only thing set to on is alternate controls and input shortcuts like interact and etc.

Hiyomoto

Noob
I would also like to bring up the fact that the back dash input is way too lenient in this game. I get accidental back dashes all the time when trying to inch back for spacing or tap back to block after going to neutral. I'm sure other people have to be having these issues, I can't be the only one.
If you're trying to move back, why not just hold it? You're moving and blocking so there'd be no reason to double tap it unless you actually wanted to backdash.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I think adding alternate controls was a step in the right direction but I think it can be improved. As of now alternate and normal controls seem to work better for certain characters in a lot of cases. I find myself switching to normal controls for some and alternate for others. It's really annoying to have to deal with that.

Does anyone else have issues with the control methods in this or other NRS games?
I'm currently having a HUGE problem with inputs, playing Atrocitus.

While performing B2, 3 online, I get back 2, Life Drain Special, which is DB3. I don't know HOW I get B2, DB3, but it happens. My inputs can't be close to that, as I'm only hitting back once and I'm not hitting down at all. I tried this on both stick AND pad, and it happens online, more often than not. In the training room, I'm fine.

Also, while playing online, I do B2, 3xxblood-nado (DB1) and I get B2, 3 Rage Charge (punchwalk), which is BF1, instead. Boggles my mind how that happens, but it's a problem happening between my stick and the game.

I have turned "Alternate Controls" on, but that makes Rage Charge tough to do (Half Circle Forward 1, instead of BF1) and with Alternate on, the game confuses Napalm Vomit (BF2>which is now Half Circle Forward 2) with the Anti-Air Vomit (D, F2). So then, I get the Anti-Air spit 100% of the time, and that makes Alt controls all but useless for me. I use these moves a lot.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
NRS half circles are way to fucking strict.
They are significantly more annoying to do then Z motions.

IMO there should not be an option for controls, alternate should be the standard, with some Z motions and a few half circles thrown in when appropriate, like with command grabs.

Buiu

Woot
man i made a post about it right now, I saw this post after...

THIS

i play artrocitus and its frustating, just like you said

and the classic bf2 isntead of f2 whenafter a blocking stance (the most common string of the character)

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
I main atrocitus, and I've lost count of how many times I get up spit when I'm trying to play the neutral/ whiff punish something with f2.

The release check option is so hilariously overzealous that its odd it's on by default.

Does that even make it easier for anyone? I can't imagine anyone enjoying getting random specials after they press anything following a d1 poke.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
man i made a post about it right now, I saw this post after...

THIS

i play artrocitus and its frustating, just like you said

and the classic bf2 isntead of f2 whenafter a blocking stance (the most common string of the character)
I main atrocitus, and I've lost count of how many times I get up spit when I'm trying to play the neutral/ whiff punish something with f2.
Alright, so, in addition to playing with the controller settings, I have another suggestion for you two. Instead of whiff punishing with F223, try back 23 instead. It has almost the same range, and can be cancelled into punch float or blood puddle. For punishes, try 111, again, cancelable.

Try turning "Input Shortcuts" and "Negative Edge" off, but do NOT use Alt Controls. They suck for Atrocitus.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
I'll give this a shot and see if it helps me, cause a lot of times things come out which are not intended at all.

And I'm not sure if the issue is me or the controls.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
PAD

Switching from stick to pad made this game so much easier for me. Make sure you hit neutral before all your inputs (holding crouch, then doing F1 will NOT product DF1). Play with the settings on inputs. Some ppl like the input shortcuts, some hate it (like me).

It's not that bad honestly and feels more like Injustice 1 IMO.

Scoot Magee

If you're trying to move back, why not just hold it? You're moving and blocking so there'd be no reason to double tap it unless you actually wanted to backdash.
What would you do if you wanted to slightly move back very short distances? when spacing vs other players its good to move in and out of their range. Tapping a direction is a normal thing.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
PAD

Switching from stick to pad made this game so much easier for me. Make sure you hit neutral before all your inputs (holding crouch, then doing F1 will NOT product DF1). Play with the settings on inputs. Some ppl like the input shortcuts, some hate it (like me).

It's not that bad honestly and feels more like Injustice 1 IMO.
Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience.

I went back to pad and tried that, but, in addition to it being less comfortable for me, I had just as many issues on Pad, if not more. They were just different issues.

Ultimately, I went back to stick. I think "Alternative Controls" was the main headache, but the input leniency sucks in this game, imo, and I doubt that it all comes down to your input device.

However, if pad works for you, congrats.

Scoot Magee

I tried pad but honestly it just brought up different issues for me personally. The thing that really gets me right now are the accidental back dashes. There's just way too much time in between back inputs. It should only work for two fast taps.