What's new

Infinity War Discussion.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Inconsistent is the word you're all looking for.

Hulk < Thanos with 2 stones, Won with basically pure strength regardless of whether it came from the power stone or not, that was just a straight up beatdown

Yet,..

Thor > Thanos with 6 stones...? Only didn't die because hacks...? And it took Thor like 2 seconds to basically have Thanos on his knees...?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Inconsistent is the word you're all looking for.

Hulk < Thanos with 2 stones, Won with basically pure strength regardless of whether it came from the power stone or not, that was just a straight up beatdown

Yet,..

Thor > Thanos with 6 stones...? Only didn't die because hacks...? And it took Thor like 2 seconds to basically have Thanos on his knees...?
To be fair though, Thor knew he wouldn’t be a match with even a regular hammer, and had to spend the entire movie creating a weapon capable of dealing with Thanos, got the best of him in a surprise attack and landed a blow that would surely have killed anyone else, and then Thanos just shrugged it off anyway and was completely fine.

That tells you how ridiculously powerful the Infinity Stones are.

Last edited:

Cursa

To be fair though, Thor knew he wouldn’t be a match with a regular hammer, and had to spend the entire movie creating a weapon capable of dealing with Thanos, got the best of him in a surprise attack and landed a blow that would surely have killed anyone else, and then Thanos just shrugged it off anyway and was completely fine.

That tells you how ridiculously powerful the Infinity Stones are.
How do you even get surprise attacked by a guy who flys around with a giant axe, shoots lightning, and is killing your whole army while you are basically omnipotent god. That's me picking into the movie too much though, he was distracted at the time I guess.

Idk it's that sort of stuff that makes me think Thanos isn't my favourite villain so far. Like he's absolutely fantastic but I think my favourite ones are the villains where they're cold and show no weakness, or at least hide it really well. Thanos can be cold and in most of his fights doesn't show a lot of mercy but in the scenes like where he sacrificed Gamora, or got surprised by Thor, and stuff like that where he shows weakness(es) I'm not a huge fan of.

That said, in the fights where he was kicking ass it looked hopeless for the heroes. Like when he fought team Iron Man after they nearly got his gauntlet it was basically just him flaunting his power, and just showing everyone basically what he could really do if he wanted to.

I like the "Darkseid" style boss if that's a good reference point. Thanos is really close to that but he's just got a sprinkle of... human I guess, still has emotions. Just me tho

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Thor definitely didn’t beat Thanos in a straight fight, but Thor (outside of Hulk at his full potential) is really the only one who could stand a chance, but after that fight Thanos had with the Guardians of The Galaxy on Knowhwere and turned Drax into blocks or some shit and made Quill’s gun shoot bubbles, it’s puzzling why he didn’t just use the reality stone to turn all of the Avengers into blocks.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Thor definitely didn’t beat Thanos in a straight fight, but Thor (outside of Hulk at his full potential) is really the only one who could stand a chance, but after that fight Thanos had with the Guardians of The Galaxy on Knowhwere and turned Drax into blocks or some shit and made Quill’s gun shoot bubbles, it’s puzzling why he didn’t just use the reality stone to turn all of the Avengers into blocks.
They both shot at each other with their full power.

THORs power with his Hammer > Thanos power with his gauntlet and all 6 stones

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
They both shot at each other with their full power.

THORs power with his Hammer > Thanos power with his gauntlet and all 6 stones
That’s true but is there a reason Thanos couldn’t have used the reality stone to destroy everyone or make Thor phase through him like he did the Hulkbuster?

I’m not trying to debate, I don’t read marvel comics it’s a genuine question

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Okay in Guardians of The Galaxy I remember everyone was tripping balls that if Ronan touched his hammer with the power stone to Xandar then it would destroy the planet or something of that affect.

They actually believed that Ronan with that stone could destroy the galaxy and anyone he wanted to (he and Nebula thought even Thanos which I’m iffy about), why wasn’t the power stone portrayed as this powerful in Infinity War? And how the fuck did Iron Man block a blast from it?

Edit: while we’re on that, there was another scene Guardians of The Galaxy where Drax was punching Ronan and it was doing absolutely nothing, so why the fuck can Drax, Captain America, and Spider-Man, and those types of characters land even one hit on Thanos that makes him even flinch if Drax can’t hurt Ronan(WITHOUT the stone)???

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Lol I hate when people act like they are supposed to just have the villain kill everyone in the movie EZ peasy and give the heroes no hope like this is the comics. It’s a movie. Yes, obviously if they wanted to Thanos could have killed basically every fucking person within a matter of seconds. That’s not the goal. The goal is entertainment. It’s owned by Disney. The Thor scene is made for freaking entertainment. Obviously if Thanos wanted to, they could have made him use the gauntlet to fry Thor’s ass. Instead they nerfed it a bit for dramatic reasons and to give the heroes a bit of hope. You want total distruction and obliteration where the heroes have no hope then go read Infinty Gauntlet, Thanos Quest, & Infinity(Black order Origins)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Lol I hate when people act like they are supposed to just have the villain kill everyone in the movie EZ peasy and give the heroes no hope like this is the comics. It’s a movie. Yes, obviously if they wanted to Thanos could have killed basically every fucking person within a matter of seconds. That’s not the goal. The goal is entertainment. It’s owned by Disney. The Thor scene is made for freaking entertainment. Obviously if Thanos wanted to, they could have made him use the gauntlet to fry Thor’s ass. Instead they nerfed it a bit for dramatic reasons and to give the heroes a bit of hope. You want total distruction and obliteration where the heroes have no hope then go read Infinty Gauntlet, Thanos Quest, & Infinity(Black order Origins)
I wasn’t meaning to say the movie was bad or anything, I liked it a lot, and obviously characters’ power levels will be all over the place because this is I believe the 19th movie in the MCU.

I like this movie a LOT, probably my 3rd favorite movie in the MCU.

x TeeJay o

I wasn’t meaning to say the movie was bad or anything, I liked it a lot, and obviously characters’ power levels will be all over the place because this is I believe the 19th movie in the MCU.

I like this movie a LOT, probably my 3rd favorite movie in the MCU.
Yeah I get it. Wasn’t a direct response to you though

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
Yeah there’s no point in dissecting the movie so much. Like why didnt Strange just use the time stone to go back to the moment before Starlord found out Gamora was dead and try to get the gauntlet off his hand again? Cuz we wanted to see Thanos keep it and throw the moon at them. I guess during the heat of the battle the participants are reacting more than they are thinking, and the best option is not always thought of so fast.

Cursa

Yeah there’s no point in dissecting the movie so much. Like why didnt Strange just use the time stone to go back to the moment before Starlord found out Gamora was dead and try to get the gauntlet off his hand again? Cuz we wanted to see Thanos keep it and throw the moon at them. I guess during the heat of the battle the participants are reacting more than they are thinking, and the best option is not always thought of so fast.
Because if he did that then Thanos would've won.

Remember that Strange knows every outcome of the war, so he chose to do/not do things because he knew what the outcomes would be.

But I see your point for that for everyone else but Strange

Cursa

I didn't realise anyone felt this way

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I saw Infinity War for the first time on Tuesday and enjoyed it. My main criticism was the relationship between Thanos and Gamora: I didn’t buy it. Whenever there was an emotional moment between them (Knowhere and Vormir scenes), I felt that it was either being faked or the situation was manipulated by the reality stone. I find it hard to believe that Thanos loved Gamora (used her to achieve his goals) or that Gamora loved Thanos (her miserable and painful upbringing).

Obviously, in order to get the Soul stone, Thanos had to sacrifice someone he loved. Since I don't believe he loved Gamora, my solution to this is that he used the Reality stone to change things such that in that moment, he did love her. But again, this was all just to accomplish his goals.

thoughts?

x TeeJay o

I saw Infinity War for the first time on Tuesday and enjoyed it. My main criticism was the relationship between Thanos and Gamora: I didn’t buy it. Whenever there was an emotional moment between them (Knowhere and Vormir scenes), I felt that it was either being faked or the situation was manipulated by the reality stone. I find it hard to believe that Thanos loved Gamora (used her to achieve his goals) or that Gamora loved Thanos (her miserable and painful upbringing).

Obviously, in order to get the Soul stone, Thanos had to sacrifice someone he loved. Since I don't believe he loved Gamora, my solution to this is that he used the Reality stone to change things such that in that moment, he did love her. But again, this was all just to accomplish his goals.

thoughts?
It’s not faked. Gamora is his favorite daughter. He cares for her deeply even in the comics. The stone wouldn’t have been granted to him if he didn’t. He even says “you alienated my favorite daughter gamora” in Guardians 1.

trufenix

bye felicia
I don't think the impression was ever than Thanos alone was an unstoppable bad ass. I feel that he appears that way (in both comics and the movie) because he doesn't just like to win he likes to conquer and decimate, but we're still dealing with a guy who LIKES to fight, and is EAGER for someone to actually fight him to a draw or worse. All of his children were very lets keep this short and to the point kind of villains, and they retreated and strategized ways to do it without a "fight", but all of Thanos' engagements were very come at me bro, even against enemies he didn't understand or know. He doesn't even really "rely" on the guantlet or the stones until he has to. The only scenario in the movie that actually "challenged" him was the one that involved no fighting at all (Gamora) and they sold the fuck out of his emotional response to that. He didn't give a shit about all the necks he broke.

I would theorize the way they wrote the final Thor encounter was that quite literally Thanos would happily give Thor the first shot, even with a new toy that could possibly end him, because I think more than anything he wants is for someone to show him he's not absolutely right about everything. He probably still entertained, even then, that this guy who definitely talked a lot of shit was about to back it up the way no one else he had to fight did, even cap, and star lord, and strange and all the other "leaders". And when Thor quite literally blows it, he realizes he was right, and its time to pull the trigger. A big part of how the comic is actually resolved is not so much just because they stop him blow for blow, but because they reason him into changing his mind about everything, war, life, death, family, friendship, etc and he finally relents.

THey've done freakishly powerful villains like Dormammu and Hela and Ultron who didn't really care about the battle, they only cared about the end game, those are the villains you have to just "checkmate" because they won't stop, they just want to win. But I got the expression just from that first scene where Thanos' guys are casually hanging back while he's going to work on a bunch of Asguardians and the god damned Hulk that Thanos' conquest isn't just about winning, its about proving a point, and after he successfully proves he's stronger than everybody, then its like, right, here's my victory lap, bitches. get erased.

x TeeJay o

I don't think the impression was ever than Thanos alone was an unstoppable bad ass. I feel that he appears that way (in both comics and the movie) because he doesn't just like to win he likes to conquer and decimate, but we're still dealing with a guy who LIKES to fight, and is EAGER for someone to actually fight him to a draw or worse. All of his children were very lets keep this short and to the point kind of villains, and they retreated and strategized ways to do it without a "fight", but all of Thanos' engagements were very come at me bro, even against enemies he didn't understand or know. He doesn't even really "rely" on the guantlet or the stones until he has to. The only scenario in the movie that actually "challenged" him was the one that involved no fighting at all (Gamora) and they sold the fuck out of his emotional response to that. He didn't give a shit about all the necks he broke.

I would theorize the way they wrote the final Thor encounter was that quite literally Thanos would happily give Thor the first shot, even with a new toy that could possibly end him, because I think more than anything he wants is for someone to show him he's not absolutely right about everything. He probably still entertained, even then, that this guy who definitely talked a lot of shit was about to back it up the way no one else he had to fight did, even cap, and star lord, and strange and all the other "leaders". And when Thor quite literally blows it, he realizes he was right, and its time to pull the trigger. A big part of how the comic is actually resolved is not so much just because they stop him blow for blow, but because they reason him into changing his mind about everything, war, life, death, family, friendship, etc and he finally relents.

THey've done freakishly powerful villains like Dormammu and Hela and Ultron who didn't really care about the battle, they only cared about the end game, those are the villains you have to just "checkmate" because they won't stop, they just want to win. But I got the expression just from that first scene where Thanos' guys are casually hanging back while he's going to work on a bunch of Asguardians and the god damned Hulk that Thanos' conquest isn't just about winning, its about proving a point, and after he successfully proves he's stronger than everybody, then its like, right, here's my victory lap, bitches. get erased.
OH YEAH that’s reminds me! Thanos In the comics is said to be a person who doesn’t deem himself worthy of actually doing what’s needed. He believes everything he said in the movie should be done BUT he doesn’t feel he’s the one to carry out its job so he allows himself to be defeated on multiple occasions. So that’s another way they nailed Thanos in the MCU. He honestly didn’t care for killing people just to do it. He just wanted the stones for his purpose. Loki dumbass brought it on himself(which that scene still has me puzzled btw)

Last edited:

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
It’s not faked. Gamora is his favorite daughter. He cares for her deeply even in the comics. The stone wouldn’t have been granted to him if he didn’t. He even says “you alienated my favorite daughter gamora” in Guardians 1.
I don't doubt that she was his favorite daughter, but I think that's because growing up, she proved to be the more capable student and ruthless combatant than Nebula was. This means she would have more success than Nebula when it comes to helping Thanos accomplish his goals. Again, I think it's just a case of "I like you more because you are more useful to me".
Cares for her deeply? Again, I just didn't see it :/
"The stone wouldn’t have been granted to him if he didn’t" This is a good point, but I still think that he could have used the Reality stone to affect his feelings about Gamora in that moment in order to get the Soul stone.

x TeeJay o

I don't doubt that she was his favorite daughter, but I think that's because growing up, she proved to be the more capable student and ruthless combatant than Nebula was. This means she would have more success than Nebula when it comes to helping Thanos accomplish his goals. Again, I think it's just a case of "I like you more because you are more useful to me".
Cares for her deeply? Again, I just didn't see it :/
"The stone wouldn’t have been granted to him if he didn’t" This is a good point, but I still think that he could have used the Reality stone to affect his feelings about Gamora in that moment in order to get the Soul stone.
The stones all each have intelligence. He still would not be granted the stone if he faked it. Skull specifically stated you must sacrifice what you love the most. He wouldn’t be able to trick the soul stone because it would have known. Ever since she was a little girl he took her under his wing immediately dispite killing millions of other kids. Maybe she grew up to be his favorite because of her skills but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t love her. Thanos isn’t the joker he actually does love. His main love being death herself and gamora being the other. They couldn’t dedicate more of the movie to him and gamora more than they did because of all the other characters and arcs they already had to produce. His affection for her is the same in the comics.

Edit: ALSO right after he snapped his fingers he goes to the soul world and meets baby gamora which The Russo Brother stated Thanos went there because of his conscious and guilt of killing her. That was a real scene it wasn’t faked. When she asked him what did it cost he said everything. She clearly meant everything to him

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
The stones all each have intelligence. He still would not be granted the stone if he faked it. Skull specifically stated you must sacrifice what you love the most. He wouldn’t be able to trick the soul stone because it would have known. Ever since she was a little girl he took her under his wing immediately dispite killing millions of other kids. Maybe she grew up to be his favorite because of her skills but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t love her. Thanos isn’t the joker he actually does love. His main love being death herself and gamora being the other. They couldn’t dedicate more of the movie to him and gamora more than they did because of all the other characters and arcs they already had to produce. His affection for her is the same in the comics.

Edit: ALSO right after he snapped his fingers he goes to the soul world and meets baby gamora which The Russo Brother stated Thanos went there because of his conscious and guilt of killing her. That was a real scene it wasn’t faked. When she asked him what did it cost he said everything. She clearly meant everything to him
I guess that until I come up with some better points, I'll agree with you lol

Cursa

Remember that Thanos' end goal is at least kinda good I guess. If you think about it.

"Yea yea I'm actually a thing, I-I'm a being "