What's new

Improving Scorpion

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS

I know that you can bait Ermac's TKS & Forceport & I'm not too experienced against Kitana
Guys, why it’s so hard to understand that any strategy which relies on bait means that you are already at disadvantage? Instead of attacking and wining by your own skill you’re actually waiting for an opp to make a mistake.

What if an opp is a high level and doesn’t make mistakes? Yep: you die slowly and painfully.

P.s. Still no one addressed the question: if Scorpion is such a good/solid etc. character, why he nowhere to be seen at tournaments and streams?
_

ELC

Scrublord McGee
High level =/= flawless: even pros make mistakes. Just watch a tournament stream and you'll see it's not so much based on the character matchup as it is the player matchup, or rather each player's ability to read the other. And baiting is just another aspect of that, and is nothing new to fighting games (Order Sol from Guilty Gear comes to mind).

As for why no one plays him at tournaments, I couldn't say, though a good chunk of the roster is absent at tournaments.

cgerrr

High level =/= flawless: even pros make mistakes. Just watch a tournament stream and you'll see it's not so much based on the character matchup as it is the player matchup, or rather each player's ability to read the other. And baiting is just another aspect of that, and is nothing new to fighting games (Order Sol from Guilty Gear comes to mind).

As for why no one plays him at tournaments, I couldn't say, though a good chunk of the roster is absent at tournaments.
Simple logic to support my previous arguments:
‘Pros’ rarely make mistakes + strategy which capitalizes solely on those mistakes (baiting) = rare win for anyone using that strategy.

Order Sol in GGXXAC considered mid to low tier (though I’ll admit there is a couple of godly OSol players out there).

And an absence of a good chunk of a roster in tourneys can be explained by the same reasons why practically no one picks Scorpion for a competition.

P.s. I’m not dismissing an importance of players’ skill, however we’re discussing the character not the players here.

_

i mained scorpion for a good month and used no one else when the game was released and you can see by the demo kombo videos he got nerfed way to hard and has one of the weakest x rays in the game. if you whiff a spear at any range especially with teleporters you get punished. also his back 2 swords move to slow. i loved scorpion since day one and i still use him on occasion but when you have majority of the people in the game out matching him damage wise and kombo wise its no point to use unless its a casual. so i moved from there and went to ermac and raiden. i usually main one or the other all depending on my match up. raiden is just to dirty and puts people in korners with ease.

zaf

professor
when i typed his low, it was a typo i didnt mean f1.

as for myself, i am not new to competitive fighting game scenes, i have been part of other scenes and have played for quite a few years now. i never said i was famous or anything so dont put words in my mouth. how deep you know how to play one game can be brought over to another. look at jwong, hes good at this game cuz he is just a great fighter gamer. if you never had any experience ever in any scenes i really doubt you have mastered scorpion and know how to play him

i am just stating that someone with no competitive game history does not have the right imo, to state how to fix a character they deem not playable at high just cause they dont know how to play him

there is a great scorpion player in montreal, constantly getting good results. he plays a great scorpion, he has nice traps and is really good with grabs/ 50/50's

just saying, this game just came out... dont be so quick to state a character sucks when you are probably playing him wrong...

i dont play scorpion so i cant say how to use him against match ups, i can only say to try things that you are not doing because what you are doing is obviously not working if you are losing..... think up new traps/ mind games.... dont be afraid to sit in training mode.... i personally think hellfire can be great if you are using it smart

im not hating, im just saying its too soon to be so judegmental on the character,

i dont want to play scorpion because he is like street fighters ryu, everyone uses him and i dont wanna be another scorpion on the bandwagon... i wouldnt be surprised if most people have that answer, most ive spoken to say something along the lines of that anyways....

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance

as for myself, i am not new to competitive fighting game scenes, i have been part of other scenes and have played for quite a few years now. i never said i was famous or anything so dont put words in my mouth. how deep you know how to play one game can be brought over to another. look at jwong, hes good at this game cuz he is just a great fighter gamer. if you never had any experience ever in any scenes i really doubt you have mastered scorpion and know how to play him

i am just stating that someone with no competitive game history does not have the right imo, to state how to fix a character they deem not playable at high just cause they dont know how to play him

there is a great scorpion player in montreal, constantly getting good results. he plays a great scorpion, he has nice traps and is really good with grabs/ 50/50's

just saying, this game just came out... dont be so quick to state a character sucks when you are probably playing him wrong...

i dont play scorpion so i cant say how to use him against match ups, i can only say to try things that you are not doing because what you are doing is obviously not working if you are losing..... think up new traps/ mind games.... dont be afraid to sit in training mode.... i personally think hellfire can be great if you are using it smart

im not hating, im just saying its too soon to be so judegmental on the character,

i dont want to play scorpion because he is like street fighters ryu, everyone uses him and i dont wanna be another scorpion on the bandwagon... i wouldnt be surprised if most people have that answer, most ive spoken to say something along the lines of that anyways....
+1 on this, dude. Im bound and determined to wreck shop with scorpion, its just taking a little more work since he is so unsafe. But I agree completely. I used to play very aggressive with him, but as people learned the game, my strategy changed. It's become much more about the mind game n baiting the opp, thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead, like chess. And getting that W is so much more rewarding when you know it was because you were all up in their head. This thread makes me wonder though, just how much of this scorpion sux banter is being based on online play??? Hmmmm.....

www.reverbnation.com/tyrade

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Simple logic to support my previous arguments:
‘Pros’ rarely make mistakes + strategy which capitalizes solely on those mistakes (baiting) = rare win for anyone using that strategy.

Order Sol in GGXXAC considered mid to low tier (though I’ll admit there is a couple of godly OSol players out there).

And an absence of a good chunk of a roster in tourneys can be explained by the same reasons why practically no one picks Scorpion for a competition.

P.s. I’m not dismissing an importance of players’ skill, however we’re discussing the character not the players here.

_
Kinda hard to judge a character's potential without a player using them, eh? :p I was assuming that both players would be of equal, higher-level skill, meaning fewer mistakes, but more effective punishments for those mistakes.

I'm not saying Scorpion doesn't need a buff; I'm just saying that he doesn't need a complete redesign to where baiting is no longer part of his core strategy.

This is what I'd like to see done for Scorpion:
- Faster B+2 Start-up: This move has the potential to be a great anti-air against opponents close to you and low to the ground (ducking; hits above and in front; considerable range), but is too slow to use effectively outside of punishing floating opponents and a 50/50 mix-up after jin.P.
- Safer Spear on whiff: Ever seen an opponent duck under or jump over Spear? See how long it takes you to recover compared to a blocked spear?
- Faster F+2,1 string: Nothing would really change in terms of what the move could be used for, but it doesn't make any mechanical sense why 3 is faster and longer-range than F+2.
-Demon Fire Feint: Something like Guilty Gear's Slayer and his Mappa Punch, where holding 2 instead of just pressing/tapping 2 would cancel the animation allowing for more effective mind-games. Would be difficult to implement considering negative edge, though.

Kinda hard to judge a character's potential without a player using them, eh? :p I was assuming that both players would be of equal, higher-level skill, meaning fewer mistakes, but more effective punishments for those mistakes.

I'm not saying Scorpion doesn't need a buff; I'm just saying that he doesn't need a complete redesign to where baiting is no longer part of his core strategy.

- Faster B+2 Start-up: This move has the potential to be a great anti-air against opponents close to you and low to the ground (ducking; hits above and in front; considerable range), but is too slow to use effectively outside of punishing floating opponents and a 50/50 mix-up after jin.P.
- Safer Spear on whiff: Ever seen an opponent duck under or jump over Spear? See how long it takes you to recover compared to a blocked spear?
- Faster F+2,1 string: Nothing would really change in terms of what the move could be used for, but it doesn't make any mechanical sense why 3 is faster and longer-range than F+2.
-Demon Fire Feint: Something like Guilty Gear's Slayer and his Mappa Punch, where holding 2 instead of just pressing/tapping 2 would cancel the animation allowing for more effective mind-games. Would be difficult to implement considering negative edge, though.
exactly you have the right idea and damage buff for sure. whos this guys trying to talk scorpion like he uses him? haha. only "pro" players can judge him? oh is that right so if i sit up with jwong and embarass him but never enter a tourney then i guess i still have no say huh? coming from a scorpion players since day one, you have no clue what youre talking about so you might as well have not even posted zaf. when you have someone even right where you want them you can still get dominated using scorpion. where you had to buy your fighter at ugftv or whatever if i didnt get raiden or ermac best believe i was going for scorpion but that doesnt mean he matches up well againist every one else. he needs a buff badly for moves and damage increases. its funny because they left sub still dominant from the demo.... at least give scorpion a hell slide

zaf

professor
scorpion doesn't need a faster b2, its fine the way it is. He is just a well rounded character. He is good every aspect in the game but doesnt excel at every aspect. Where as some characters are rape in one aspect and weak in another. Just like ryu in sf. i can see his spear becoming spammed if it becomes a lot safer. Its not really a move you just shoot out whenever you want since it is punishable, its just another bait move,

as for f2 this isnt a combo starter, this move is used after a spear since it creates a very nice situation. if you land a spear use this move after ( f2, f1 teleport)... it ends with teleport hitting them into stagger and you get a free 50/50...if you guess right you can spear again and do this situation all over... lol just try to use his move in different ways, thats all.... as for the hellfire, once again not a move you just spam, its not how scorpion works. id imagine you would cancel these for a while to try and bait and then just spear right ?

also it doesnt have to be pros that can judge a game or characters and how they compare to the roster. its just experience from playing all kinds of games competively for years, like i previously stated. i never said pros it was just an example..and it doesnt matter if i play scorpion or not to have an opinion of him, its the experience against him as well as how i see him being played, i know whats good on his side and whats bad

ELC

Scrublord McGee
scorpion doesn't need a faster b2, its fine the way it is. He is just a well rounded character. He is good every aspect in the game but doesnt excel at every aspect. Where as some characters are rape in one aspect and weak in another. Just like ryu in sf. i can see his spear becoming spammed if it becomes a lot safer. Its not really a move you just shoot out whenever you want since it is punishable, its just another bait move,

as for f2 this isnt a combo starter, this move is used after a spear since it creates a very nice situation. if you land a spear use this move after ( f2, f1 teleport)... it ends with teleport hitting them into stagger and you get a free 50/50...if you guess right you can spear again and do this situation all over... lol just try to use his move in different ways, thats all.... as for the hellfire, once again not a move you just spam, its not how scorpion works. id imagine you would cancel these for a while to try and bait and then just spear right ?

also it doesnt have to be pros that can judge a game or characters and how they compare to the roster. its just experience from playing all kinds of games competively for years, like i previously stated. i never said pros it was just an example..and it doesnt matter if i play scorpion or not to have an opinion of him, its the experience against him as well as how i see him being played, i know whats good on his side and whats bad
Hehehe: I'm nowhere near pro, but I can 80% of the time tell what a character's general strategy was intended to be based on the properties of their moves (the other 20% comes from unfamiliar engines ^_^)

Outside of his overall popularity, I don't see any similarities between Ryu or Ken and Scorpion. I apologize if I'm abusing GG references, but his playstyle reminds me of Ky's strong anti-air game and decent poke game balanced with OrSol's decent, minimal mix-up pressure game and bait tactics; or rather, he can deal damage more easily on an airborne opponent than on a grounded opponent, but because staying on the ground is universally safer than blindly jumping with this engine, Scorpion needs to bait a jump with Demon Fire or attempt to get a kombo out of one of his poke strings, which is difficult with anything other than F+4,Spear/2,1+2 since the rest of his strings that combo into Spear are all able to be blocked high.

Having said that, I'm not looking to make all of his moves have one active frame and no startup or recovery frames: I actually want to play him in tournaments, not get him banned :p. B+2 only needs a few (2-4) less frames of startup, and the recovery on Spear should be balanced between block and whiff (block is only slightly unsafe; whiff is very unsafe; middle ground needed). F+2,1 could use a few less frames as well, but only because as a poke that hits High on ducking opponents, it should be about as safe on whiff as 1,1; 2,1; or 3,3. These moves wouldn't change much except be safe against attacks they should be safe against (i.o.w. a blocked B+2 wouldn't save you from Ermac's Force Slam combo.)

As for Demon Fire, you're 100% correct: it shouldn't be spammed. But it should be used for what it was intended for: baiting the opponent into jumping. Now, unless one can instill enough fear of Demon Fire into your opponent to get him to jump blindly, the use of Demon Fire is restricted as an anti-wakeup since an opponent can jump it on reaction. Thus, a feint (not a cancel, since whether you do the move or not is determined when you perform the input, not after) would help. Granted, Demon Fire is too easily abused in an online environment with lag, and I can imagine how much flak Scorpion will get if it's given a feint, so a longer startup should balance it out.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
not sure if I posted this in this thread kinda don't have time to look or read but the only thing I think scorpion needs fixing is his recovery on a blocked spear. it takes way too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Don't play scorpion too much, I think he's fine. Btw why are people talking about an x-ray you should never use?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.

I appreciate the explanation of your post and it makes sense. But just like the person who just came on the competitive scene doesn't have the right to come on the boards and say what Scorpion needs to improve...a person who doesn't even play the character doesn't have the right to come in and tell Scorpion players that he doesn't need anything to be competitive. If you don't know the character and don't know the match ups, please mind your own business and let us decide what Scorpion needs before you go on and say we're just a bunch of cry babies.

This is the problem with Scorpion. He is great full screen away. Hellfire and anti-air spear is great. When the opponent gets 3/4 of the screen in or closer, a jumped hellfire means he is going to take massive damage because its got quite a bit of recovery on whiff. They land, dash up and get a nasty combo, it sucks. So his zoning game is only really strong at full screen.

There's 2 directions NRS can take Scorpion if that want to make him a competitive character. Either make him a stronger zoning character or give him a safe special move that he can link off his d+4 to allow him to attack more safely once people get closer to him. Here are some suggestions.

Scorpions TP IS too slow, the people I play with can see it on reaction and uppercut me. Even if they aren't ready for it, they mash d+1 or d+3 or d+4 since it is a high. It'd be one thing if it was old school style and you could see people throw a projectile and punish accordingly, but its just too friggin slow. His ex TP is great with the frame advantage on block, too bad i can't even get people to block it cause i just get low poked out of it and waste meter.

A whiffed spear is TERRIBLE, even at full screen Scorpion gets punished with a full launch combo. If his spear had the same whiff recovery as a blocked spear, that'd be fine.

Make slide unpunishable. If NRS isn't going to help his zoning, at least give him something useful to use when he's in the thick of things. The only thing thats somewhat useful is his f+3 but its awfully slow.

As it stands Scorpion has average zoning and below-average up close game...which in turn means he's just average at best. Changes along these lines I think would be viable to make him competitive.

PEACE

zaf

professor
you are still asking for too much,

b2 shouldnt be faster, it will be spammed and such an over used move.
and like i said, you shouldnt be poking with f2,1.
This isnt a poke string, just cuz it creates great situations doesnt mean you need to throw it out all the time. Use it when its safer, after a jump in, or after a spear. You essenitally just want to give scorpion another poke because you are not using him right. Im not here to pick on anyone, its all constructive criticism. I dont want to see a character who is fine get turned into something thats retarded.

As for a whiffed spear, stop shooting them out. There are better ways to use it...
If i whiff a fireball with ermac, ill get punished. If it hits someone who is blocking of course im safe, they are blocking and can not respond as fast due to the block frames. How would you even justify fixing this ? What the difference between whiffing a spear when someone is close or someone is far from you? How can you gauge when the animation is done, the spear travels across the screen. If the opponent is far from you and you can whiff them all day with no penalty then its just a retarded suggestion. If im telling you ther are already great scorpion players, who dont complain about him and think he is fine as well, then something is wrong else where and its not the character.

if you wanna rush down with scorpion, you have the tools to do so.
If you wanna camp with him, you have the tools to do so.
This is how i find him to be similar to ryu as he can pretty much do the same thing.
they are just balanced characters overall with no one area that they excel more then others. if this is not what you want from a character in mk9, then simply dont play scorpion and play a rush down char, that is fast and is made to do what you want.

cgerrr

Kinda hard to judge a character's potential without a player using them, eh?
I think you confused me with Zaf.

scorpion….is just a well rounded character. He is good every aspect in the game but doesnt excel at every aspect…
Except he doesn’t have any zoning and as punishable as character can be.

…if you land a spear use this move after ( f2, f1 teleport)... it ends with teleport hitting them into stagger and you get a free 50/50
Except Scorpion doesn’t have a 50/50 mix-up after jump in due to fuzzy blocking.

…as for the hellfire…
No one gives a squat about hellfire: it’s -1 on hit, thus high levels just eat it and proceed to punish or mix-up Scorp after it.

…it doesnt matter if i play scorpion or not to have an opinion of him, its the experience against him as well as how i see him being played, i know whats good on his side and whats bad
No offence, but I think you played just a better player than yourself.

_

zaf

professor
he can zone with his hellfire, it is a good move. there are just times to use it and there are times when not to use it. if you are getting punished a lot when you use it, then you are using it wrong. there is a safer way to play scorpion, that doesnt involve shooting out moves that are punishable all the time. yes scorpion does have a 50/50 lol....and i never said i lost to any scorpions ( yet) i just said that i have experience against scorpion due to playing against him. as well as watching scorpion players.
There is going to be an evo event in montreal this weekend, which i will attend, hopefully the scorpion player will be able to get some videos recorded

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
you are still asking for too much,

As for a whiffed spear, stop shooting them out. There are better ways to use it...
If i whiff a fireball with ermac, ill get punished. If it hits someone who is blocking of course im safe, they are blocking and can not respond as fast due to the block frames. How would you even justify fixing this ? What the difference between whiffing a spear when someone is close or someone is far from you? How can you gauge when the animation is done, the spear travels across the screen. If the opponent is far from you and you can whiff them all day with no penalty then its just a retarded suggestion. If im telling you ther are already great scorpion players, who dont complain about him and think he is fine as well, then something is wrong else where and its not the character.
The other stuff you said in your posts is fine or just whatever, but this needs to be addressed.

Simply put, what the hell are you talking about. Just decrease the recovery of the move on whiff, thats all we're saying. Nobody is saying make the move recover instantly. Nobody is saying make Scorpions spear recovery like Ermac's fireball. Nobody is saying spear needs to be spammable. Spear needs to be punishable on whiff but only if people are looking for it, not see it whiff, think about what to punish it with for 5 minutes and then destroy him. He NEEDS to throw out a spear every once in awhile to keep people honest who just dash through a couple hellfires to get in Scorpion's face. But just throwing out ONE could cost you half life, its just too much risk.

I do extremely well in the competitive scene where I live but the more I play people the more they are starting to realize the grave risks Scorpion has to take to keep people out and advancing on them.

I find it ironic how you don't have any problems against any Scorpion players yet you say he's fine and doesn't need any help. Your playing with Ermac for Gods sake. Stop trolling character forums saying everyone is fine when your playing with one of the best characters in the game.

PEACE

zaf

professor
But are we talking like half screen whiff and you will be safe?
What distant exactly are you wanting it to be safe at if it whiffs?
I honestly do not think he "needs" to throw out spears to keep people in check.
You are losing health for whiffing spears, so dont shoot them out, its that simple. You need to create a situation with scorpion where the spear will not whiff, hes just that type of character.

If you are playing people in person, and over time they are seeing how to punish scorpion better then all it comes down to is you need to mix up better. IF they see the risky moves coming out, you might subconciously be using moves in a pattern that is being caught on too. Who knows, but that sentence just sounds like you are being read

I dont have problems with any characters i play against. I learn their strengths and weaknesses, try new things and learn. It is all EXPERINCE. i actually quiet enjoy playing kung laos tbh. yes i do think scorpion is fine and doesnt need help. As soon as someone comes along and rapes a tourney with him everyone will see. This game is too new to already discuss how to fix something like this. Of course we will see other characters represented at this point in the scene because there will always be characters who are easier to play ( in a way ). Or the learning curves of those characters are lower. I personally think scorpion has a high learning curve,and over time we will be seeing more of them.
When did i ever say i use ermac? I used his fireball as an example, that was all. No need to jump to conclusions. I am in no way trolling. This is just all constructive criticism. I want to see the game grow properly, instead of just seeing patch notes of moves getting changed all the time because a character is deemed unplayable then beceomes broken. Then needs a fix etc.

also just to clarify, i dont MAIN scorpion. i of course go into training mode with him( as well as a lot of other characters) and use him in casuals. I do like him as a character, but he just isnt my "main".

cgerrr

This is just all constructive criticism.
No it’s not:
you didn’t provide any comprehensive explanation for denying other people arguments except maybe “lol you wrong”.

FYI, Scorpion doesn’t have true 50/50 – if you don’t believe me you’d better believe Tom Brady himself, who confirmed it and I won’t even touch your other arguments coz they either partially incorrect or wrong completely.

It just shows how little you know about Scorp in regard of his actual effectiveness, thus you have no rights to actually accuse someone in hasty judgment while being half educated yourself.

All in all, un-safeness without any comparable compensation makes character inconsistent. And it’s pretty much death for a character competition wise.

However, you right in regards that frequent patches hurt the game more than help it. But NRS already break that rule buffing particular characters to left and right. So why single out Scorpion?

-
Ok guys, according to Tom Brady Scorpion won’t receive any buff/changes at all in upcoming patch. My advice - switch to Cyrax: he’s pretty much better and safer Scorpion with better damage to top it off.

_

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I think you confused me with Zaf.
My apologies: I should have worded that better. What I meant was that a character's potential cannot be determined without comparing a player using that character to another player using another character. That is to say, if you compared a CPU vs CPU match, you'd be missing various psychological elements.

EDIT: I (or possibly someone else) will have to ask Tom Brady what an opponent has to guess when it comes to Scorpion's effectiveness . . . all of his combo starters are all unsafe on block or whiff and easily readable, so what kind of guessing game Scorpion has is unknown to me.

zaf

professor
i still think this is all too hasty, and i am happy to see scorpion isnt getting any changes. he honestly doesnt need them
you cant just walk up to or jump in to someone and use one of his "slow" moves and expect perfect results. You need to create situations where these moves work to your advantage. Granted i am not a scorpion main, and this does not prove to be advantageous towards my points i try to make, i do agree some what with that. I can not give you a situation where you can use his slower moves to get in because i dont have many tricks/mind games with him. I do know that, like any character, all moves do serve their own purpose. The metagame hasnt even developed yet and you are all so quick to judge this moves. If you whiff moves and get punished, its your own fault, this can be said for any other character in the game. I only said that the thread starter himself was wrong for making this thread as he has no background history in any competitive scene. To me that is not lawful for making such accusations on characters. Provided someone else made the thread i would not of said such a statement. I am looking at scoprion from a very neutral point as i do want to see a balanced game.

i have stated many different ways to look at moves. I have mentioned the 1,1,1 string. better uses for f2,1 etc.
you all feel as though i am here to troll or make fun of you but that is exactly the opposite. it is the character you use, so of course you are feeling judged/targeted.
i am just stating that the character is being looked at wrong here. you want the takedown to be safe, so you an have a safe move, but whats wrong with the 1,1,1 string. it can be broken up and used so many different ways to always keep your opponent guessing.

slips even said it, scorpion is average at zoning, average at close up game. Hes average overall, thats just how the character is. every fighter has these types of characters. hes just a well balanced char, asking for so many changes will make him stronger in certain aspects of the game when he is designed to be balanced in all aspects. which is why i believe he is fine, he is just an overall balanced well rounded character. I would honestly use him myself, seeing as he is my favorite mk char ( i knoe eh lol ) but i like to camp and shoot stuff, scorpion isnt pro at this, so i chose chars that can camp better then him, my downfall is that my close game lacks compared to other chars. you dont see me asking for a zoner who has amazing close game cuz thats just how the game works,

ELC

Scrublord McGee
i still think this is all too hasty, and i am happy to see scorpion isnt getting any changes. he honestly doesnt need them
You're not doing a good job of convincing anyone otherwise.

you cant just walk up to or jump in to someone and use one of his "slow" moves and expect perfect results. You need to create situations where these moves work to your advantage.
Of course. Like I said or implied before, I'm not looking to make everything safe and spammable; just more useful in general.

Granted i am not a scorpion main, and this does not prove to be advantageous towards my points i try to make, i do agree some what with that. I can not give you a situation where you can use his slower moves to get in because i dont have many tricks/mind games with him.
Try Scorpion out then: a few matches without your main won't hinder your skill with your main.

I do know that, like any character, all moves do serve their own purpose. The metagame hasnt even developed yet and you are all so quick to judge this moves.
True, but I don't believe you know how effective Scorpion's moves are at fulfilling their various purposes.

If you whiff moves and get punished, its your own fault, this can be said for any other character in the game.
Of course, but again, I want to make the moves more useful where they're supposed to be, not unpunishable.

I only said that the thread starter himself was wrong for making this thread as he has no background history in any competitive scene. To me that is not lawful for making such accusations on characters. Provided someone else made the thread i would not of said such a statement. I am looking at scoprion from a very neutral point as i do want to see a balanced game.
We all want a balanced game, and the last thing we want to see is our favorite character becoming the overpowered flavor of month then either being banned or nerfed worse than he/she already was.

i have stated many different ways to look at moves. I have mentioned the 1,1,1 string. better uses for f2,1 etc.
you all feel as though i am here to troll or make fun of you but that is exactly the opposite. it is the character you use, so of course you are feeling judged/targeted.
i am just stating that the character is being looked at wrong here. you want the takedown to be safe, so you an have a safe move, but whats wrong with the 1,1,1 string. it can be broken up and used so many different ways to always keep your opponent guessing.
The 1-mash isn't bad at all: it's a nice poke, can be canceled into spear on first or second hits, and can be used to create better relative positioning. Takedown is fine: maybe a little unsafe, but it's a Low Knockdown with good range and can be comboed into from Low pokes like F+4, D+4, and D+3.

F+2,1, as low-reward all High string, should be usable outside of kombos and safe jin.P. B+2 only needs to have a faster start-up; if the recovery is the same, it will still be as unsafe on whiff or block as it was before; this would make it harder for the opponent to react to in a jin.P 50/50. A whiffed or blocked Spear should allow a guaranteed jin.P into combo, not a jump in, dash, combo on whiff or a dash, combo on block.

slips even said it, scorpion is average at zoning, average at close up game. Hes average overall, thats just how the character is. every fighter has these types of characters. hes just a well balanced char, asking for so many changes will make him stronger in certain aspects of the game when he is designed to be balanced in all aspects. which is why i believe he is fine, he is just an overall balanced well rounded character. I would honestly use him myself, seeing as he is my favorite mk char ( i knoe eh lol ) but i like to camp and shoot stuff, scorpion isnt pro at this, so i chose chars that can camp better then him, my downfall is that my close game lacks compared to other chars. you dont see me asking for a zoner who has amazing close game cuz thats just how the game works,
All-around doesn't simply refer to pressure and zoning. It refers to being balanced in terms of offense and defense, air and ground, and close and far. Liu Kang is the best example of an all-around character since he can zone with Fireballs, pressure/mix-up with loops, escape pressure with Parry or Bicycle Kick, and fight on the air or on the ground thanks to a variety of air-ok options.

Scorpion, while indeed balanced between pressure and zoning, favors an opponent in the air than an opponent on the ground, and Scorpion favors being on offense rather than defense.

zaf

professor
so i have dedicated the day to using him.
hes got good pokes with 1 and mixing it up, its alot to work of off
i feel his low kick is not reliable lol, which does kinda suck =/ but its like hellfire in a way, in terms of when it can be used
hellfire on wake up catches a lot, if you use it on the right knockdowns,
i've noted situations where your opponent is more prone to fall for the hellfire on their wake up, which is all due to the situation you are in, which is why i feel his un safe moves can be used well, say for instance when your opponent is more likely to block on wake up due to pressure, you can hellfire and it will usually hit if your opponent doesnt suspect that.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Look Zaf, I'm pro am, and Scorpion sucks.
gg

His damage output is laughed at by players like TS Sabin, he has below average zoning, below average close game, and good mind games.
Mind games alone do not win you a game.

Breakers are devastating for Scorpion, since once he actually manages to finally get something going, he gets stopped instantly.
His X-ray for breakerless damage is pathetic.

You can't have a good character on your hands if every single one of their moves are unsafe.
This what makes people switch to Ermac, Reptile, Raiden, Kung Lao, etc...they all have very safe high damage options.

Scorpion is like a slow Mileena who can't zone worth a crap.