What's new

"I'm a Real Pain in the @%# huh?" - Batgirl General Discussion Thread

kevkopdx

Noob
I need new approach options as Batgirl. Walking up to, or jump 2 at someone, and doing B12 or B2U3 isn't working. They block and predict it. How else can I "get in" with Batgirl?

This is especially problematic against two types of people: zoners and uppercutters. Against zoners (Aquaman, Catwoman, Sinestro), they keep all of my attacks at bay. And against uppercutters, they're safe on block. Attempting to punish with B2 is suicide.
b2d3 is a great way to annoy them, i sometimes do a few of those in a row because you can do it back to back really quick... catwoman is a bad matchup, in my opinion, just have to play carefully, try to bait and punish...
aquaman is a real pain if your opponent knows what theyre doing... i played a guy yesterday that did nothing but uppercuts and that mb ground projectile thing... 2 moves and i barely won, lol... a turtling aquaman is no joke

in general, i find that dashing in and being extremely offensive can throw ppl off..she has a fast dash forward, use it. i like to dash into sweep range, begin b12, purposely letting the low whiff and catching them with the second hit, j2, 111 is a pretty good pressure tool, cancel into bf3 for a safe ender...contrary to common belief, batgirl has to work to win...

theres really no answer, you have to constantly switch up your strings and try to do the unexpected..use db3/2 to close distance. i hardly ever do smoke bomb unless i know it will hit... and use b2d3, it is a really strong string

Alakai

Noob
I just found out that you can time a backdash to escape from the last hit on the cartwheel move on block so you don't need to worry about guessing right. I know that this can happen with batman and lobo for sure but I don't know for the rest of the cast. sorry if this was already known

haketh

Noob
So learning Barbara, I wanna go to Shock GLoves as quick as possible rihgt? I'll sacrifice some damage to always be doing more if they block a mixup correctly.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I'm trying to gather information about possible characters I want to use before I decide to take time to really learn one of them, and Babs is next. Looking for an answer to the following questions:

1.) What are the most optimized combos for Batgirl?

2.) Could someone explain the vortex I see all over the forums?

3.) What are her best wake-up options?

4.) as haketh said above, what is the difference between the traits, and is it worth it to go with one over the other?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I'm trying to gather information about possible characters I want to use before I decide to take time to really learn one of them, and Babs is next. Looking for an answer to the following questions:

1.) What are the most optimized combos for Batgirl?

2.) Could someone explain the vortex I see all over the forums?

3.) What are her best wake-up options?

4.) as haketh said above, what is the difference between the traits, and is it worth it to go with one over the other?

1.) This will take some time so I'll edit with these. (EDIT: See below)

2.) After a bola (bf1), if you use (ji2, 111) or (ji2, b2d3) you are left at enough +frames that you can begin another combo (either off an overhead or a low) and because the frame advantage is so great, the only choice the opponent has is to block (either overhead or low). Since they can't block both options simultaneously, this gives you the opportunity to reset the combo and deal another round of damage. Since both the overhead and the low options combo back into bola, this situation resets again in an infinite loop until your opponent manages to guess right and block correctly. EDIT: batgirl's vortex combos can be started from any of the vortex combos listed below. The two most common starters are b12 (as it has decent range for punishing) and dd3 as it punishes jumps, interactable and projectiles from full screen.

3.) Cartwheel (db2), flying bat (df2) and smoke bomb (dd3) are all really good wake up options in different circumstances. Cartwheel is basically a free mixup because it can hit either overhead or low (depending on whether you press down or not), flying bat catches jump ins and can be meter burned into d2 to start the bolo vortex. dd3 also catches jump ins and has full invincibility on wake up so there's that.

4.) Her punch blade stance (what she begins with) deals more damage than her electrified knuckles stance, but less chip. Since the damage is usually only 1-2% less and the chip provided is basically 10x more, electrified knuckles is considered the superior stance.

EDIT:

The percentages in [square brackets]indicate Punch Blade damage while the percentages in (round brackets) indicate electrified knuckle damage. These are the most optimised combos (damage wise) but execution can be difficult. I'll update with damages because I don't know some of these off the top of my head as they are not what I normally use. Combos requiring meter are asterisked (*)

MIDSCREEN

VORTEX
(overhead) b2u3, b2u3, d2~bf1, ji2, 111 [28%](27%)
(low) b12, b2u3, d2~bf1, ji2, 111 [26%](25%)
(overhead to low) b2d3~bf3 (MB), b3, ji3, d2~bf1, ji2, 111 [32%] *
(smoke bomb) dd3 (MB), dash, b3, j3, d2~bf1, ji2, 111 [25%] *
(overhead) b2u3, ji2, f23~df2(MB), d2~bf1, ji2, 111 [38%] *
(low) b12, f23~df2(MB), d2~bf1, ji2, 111 [34%] *

DAMAGE

(low) b12, b2u3, d2~bf1, dash, b3, j3, f2~db2u [32%]
(overhead) b2u3, b2u3, ji2, f212~db2u [36%] (34%)
(overhead) b2u3, ji2, f23~df2 (MB), 212~db2u [42%](41%) *
(low) b12, f23~df2 (MB), 212~db2u [38%](37%) *

NOTE: All midscreen combos (except for the overhead to low) can be performed in the corner with nj2 replacing ji2 but they are not the most optimised corner damage.

CORNER

METERLESS

VORTEX
(overhead) b2u3, f2, f23, d2~bf1, nj2, 111 [34%]
(low) b12, f23, d2~bf1, nj2, 111 [29%]
(overhead to low) b2d3, db2u, f21, d2~bf1, nj2, 111 [34%]

DAMAGE
(overhead) b2u3, f2, f23, f23, f212~db2u [46%]
(low) b12, f23, f23, f23~db2u [42%]
(overhead to low) b2d3~dbdu, f21, f21, f23~db2u [44%]

METER
(overhead) b2u3, f2, f23, f23, f23~df2 (MB) f23~db2u [56%] *
(low) b12, f23, f23, f23~df2 (MB) f23~db2u [53%] *
(overhead to low) bd23~db2u, f23, f23~db2u, df2 (MB), f23~db2u [60%]*

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
That post really helps a lot. I understand now.

However, I just pulled off this vortex against someone online and I have a couple more.

Do you need to jump over them when they're tied up in the bola? And after the 111 you basically follow up with a B1 starter or B2 starter? I've had it blocked a few times, but that is just a guess on the opponents part?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
That post really helps a lot. I understand now.

However, I just pulled off this vortex against someone online and I have a couple more.

Do you need to jump over them when they're tied up in the bola? And after the 111 you basically follow up with a B1 starter or B2 starter? I've had it blocked a few times, but that is just a guess on the opponents part?
No you don't need to jump over, it works regardless of the side you hit. If they blocked it, yeah it's them guessing correctly. You've basically got the gist of it down :). Bola, ji2, 111, b1/b2

Hivey

Noob
im having issues with that vortex. when i try to use it, the opponent seems to have time between my 111 and b1/b2 to do a quick d1 or something before my attack comes out, interrupting me.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
im having issues with that vortex. when i try to use it, the opponent seems to have time between my 111 and b1/b2 to do a quick d1 or something before my attack comes out, interrupting me.
You're not being quick enough. Input the b1/b2 as soon as the last hit of 111 has made contact. If you're playing online, the lag can stuff you up but you can time it so they can't avoid it. It's also possible to end your combos with b2d3 after the ji2 instead of 111. This gives you 8 more frames of advantage and makes it even harder to escape (although it does less damage).

So I know B1 and B2 are where she starts the majority of her combos. But I feel like it gets too readable. Any other good pokes, or startup combos with her? I feel like I really struggle with other combos, and pokes with her.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
So I know B1 and B2 are where she starts the majority of her combos. But I feel like it gets too readable. Any other good pokes, or startup combos with her? I feel like I really struggle with other combos, and pokes with her.
21~bf3 is +1 on block and if you MB it (only MB on hit and the window is huge) you can get it to combo into bola for vortex. 212 is -1 on block and if it hits you can go for the df2 (MB) into vortex or damage (~34% I believe). 111~bf3 (although it can be interrupted by quick reversal between the 111 amd bf3 if they know what they are doing) also works as does d1~bf3 (not interruptible). As an antiair you can do d2~bf1 or df2(MB), d2~bf1. You can also try using j3 more. On block it is +15 and jails them so you can then go for a free vortex set up with either b1 or b2.

im also having the issue of them being able to block 111 right after i hit them with ji2.
As soon as the jump in hits, hit 111, before you even land.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
You're not being quick enough. Input the b1/b2 as soon as the last hit of 111 has made contact. If you're playing online, the lag can stuff you up but you can time it so they can't avoid it. It's also possible to end your combos with b2d3 after the ji2 instead of 111. This gives you 8 more frames of advantage and makes it even harder to escape (although it does less damage).
Are you in range for a B1 or B2 to hit after ending the vortex with B2D3?

Also, something that works for me when the two options become a bit stale is using B2D3 into MB redemption to start the vortex. This is a string they will have to guard high then low when they expect only having to guard one. Of course you need meter for this, but it is well worth it.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Are you in range for a B1 or B2 to hit after ending the vortex with B2D3?

Also, something that works for me when the two options become a bit stale is using B2D3 into MB redemption to start the vortex. This is a string they will have to guard high then low when they expect only having to guard one. Of course you need meter for this, but it is well worth it.
Yeah you are. B2d3 also gives you more options as you can go for a jump if you wanna.

I know this is probably silly to ask, but with the j2>111, is the j2 supposed to be a crossup or not? I've never really seen this clarified.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Cross up isn't hard if you go for the b12, d2~bf1, ji2, 111 combo or the b2u3, d2~bf1, ji2, 111 combo. It's when you add in the second 2 that it becomes difficult. It pushes them right outa range. It's good to know how to cross them up though cause it allows you to push them into the corner where she does her real damage.

It's not that I struggle with the crossup, I just have to take a step or two to get the crossup or I land in front. I'm not certain if that's normal to have to step, or just be in range of the j2 to crossup.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
It's not that I struggle with the crossup, I just have to take a step or two to get the crossup or I land in front. I'm not certain if that's normal to have to step, or just be in range of the j2 to crossup.
No it's normal :). Don't worry about it having to cross up.

Sweet! Thanks for the clarification. I guess the crossup is great to push them back to the other side if you need, or just to be flashy. Definitely gonna' keep it in my pocket though.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification. I guess the crossup is great to push them back to the other side if you need, or just to be flashy. Definitely gonna' keep it in my pocket though.
Yea, if you're getting close to the corner you can crossup. However, Batgirl does some awesome damage in the corner, you should keep them there.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
What is the general consensus of BG? I haven't seen her at a tourney at all. How does she fair against the top two of the cast BA and SUpes?