What's new

I have to get this off my chest.

BookBurning

Voidwards
I'm sure alot of you have seen my ID or maybe I'm good friends with you, or even just acquaintances, and if not; it's nice to meet you, my name is Tyler (Book Burning), an avid competitive FG player from Des Moines, Iowa. Now that that's done with, let me write a bit.

Lately I have been inactive from Mortal Kombat 9, went off to play some Tekken to try something new, but in reality I'm just starting to get sick of everything pertaining to my life in general. I'm now playing again, and alot at that but this isn't about my gaming life, this is about my actual life.

In late 2011 I received a job through a temp agency to be a data processor for Wells Fargo and I was ecstatic to get hired. The job paid very well, especially for someone my age and on top of it all, it was extremely easy and flexible once you learned the ins and outs. Randomly, on Christmas Eve I received a phone call and just like that, I was laid off. As a temp, I suppose I was disposable, all the temps at my building were laid off almost simultaneously. I was upset, really upset, because I felt that that job was the key to actually getting my life started because I have alot of things I want to do with my life.

Somehow, ever since then I have been unable to get a job, even jobs that pay HALF as much as I was making at Wells Fargo, I just can't get one; I've even had multiple interviews and for one reason or another, I never get hired. I'm 22 now and still living in at my parents because I'm unable to move out; I'm living in my room and as time goes on I feel like I'm starting to live in my own head. The reason I picked up Fighting Games to begin with was because they offered me to escape while I played them and to be blunt, improving at FGs made me feel good, I mean, it was the only thing I even had the ability to improve on it felt like. It still feels like.

There's really nothing more to this thread than to just get it off my chest and I realize this is probably alot more information than most people would be willing to give out about themselves to an online community, but I take what I can get and sometimes it feels a bit better to just dump stuff like this in front of alot of people, great people at that. I feel like my life is going nowhere and even though I still have high hopes, I seriously feel like I'm beginning to suffer from depression. I mean, what a terrible rut I'm in.

Anyone else had similar problems and how did it turn out in the end once you got through them?

Thanks TYM.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well Im sorry to here that.
My advice you is since you might have a bit of money. Go to college meet new people see new things and maybe even build a new FG community there. I love fighting games and games in general have inspired me to become a neurosurgeon and now im doing study on how fighting games specifically benifits the human mind at VCU. Just turn your passion into a drive even if its not fighting games. Just make it your drive and make an effort. Ive been in this rut to but comming to VCU and making friends that share my interest and have positive energy is what is helping me get by. School is tough but people make it better but only if you let them

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
I was in a very similar situation. I had a great job, was going to school. Then BAM, my work place went under and I lost my job, couldn't afford to be in school etc. Was forced to move back into my parents place. I was a manager at my previous place of employment, yet I could not find a job ANYWHERE. I applied to be a damn cashier at an electronics joint and shortly after received an email stating that they did not believe i was qualified for the position. I was pretty depressed, didn't have a lot going on. I had 0 friends in my home town, they had all moved to go to school.. so i spent a lot of time alone in my room playing video games, reading and literally just sitting on my parents roof day dreaming. I was in a pretty big funk for around a year. Things came together eventually.. i reconnected with some old friends from high school, finally got a job and got back into school.. even got a great girlfriend, moved in together after a while and all the sudden my life was back on track. The point of this i suppose is to let you know.. it'll get better man. I was about as low as i could get and then one small bit of positivity became another and then began to snowball. It'll happen to you too, just hang in there.

EvilNonsense

steals your stuff
Sounds like you're frustrated about the lack of direction your life is taking. Been there, done that. I've had more temp jobs then I care to remember. I even picked up garbage for a week at a construction site just to make minimum payments on a student loan. Also made some horrible decisions that resulted in me being dead broke, jobless and moving back in with the parents. School is pretty much your best option. Community or trade school. I eventually got a job as a trucker and bought my first house. Get out of the house and hang with friends. Try starting a new hobby.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'm in the same boat that you're in, man. I started diving back into FGs to "better" myself, but I have an epiphany every month or so after I end up yelling at the TV over the inadequacies of online or some other bullshit. I'm just done with it, at least until I can start playing this locally. Going to start hitting up the gym again and actually better myself. Online is just a waste of my time, waste of my energy, and considering how livid I get with it I'd say it's bad for my health.

Oh yeah, my wallet too...I've obliterated 3 controllers over the garbage that I have to deal with.

Go back to school, take out some loans if you have to, but you can't make a living doing this.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
You are 22 years old. You are supposed to be broke and struggling. You have a roof over your head, food on your table and your parents are cool enough where you can live w/them. Trust me, there are people sleeping in their cars and owe thousands of dollars in debt. I was 22 and living at home also, nothing wrong w/that. How many 22 yr olds do you know are making the salaries they want?

My point is, everything will pan out and you'll be fine. I work at Chase myself but I've had multiple jobs and either quit or been laid off. Shit happens dude, part of being a man is how you deal w/it.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Book man... I feel you. I'm 28 and unemployed. The company I worked for went under about a year and a half ago, and I haven't found anything solid either. I've been working since I was old enough to get a job, so it's been a serious adjustment having free time. I'm scraping by... barely. A LOT of people I know are in the same situation (of course, here in Michigan... we have it the worst). Friends that I have that are married, kids, etc, are just as depressed as you describe because they cannot find stable work, and worry constantly about what they're going to do. And as you can see, other people (the above posters) have all been through similar situations. It's not uncommon.

If you just sit there and be depressed you'll end up 400lbs and miserable and nothing will change. Find things that make you happy to take up your time. I've taken this "free time" to, yeah get good at fighting games, but also play music again, work on art, get in better shape, make connections with new people, etc. Keep a positive outlook. Most jobs I see people get now are because they know someone, or because they made a serious impression on someone. If you stay positive, stay passionate about the things you enjoy doing, SOMEONE will take notice. Shitty things happen to good people... but don't let it ruin you. Keep moving forward.

Ether

Noob
Similar boat for me. Lost job, couldn't afford school. From November until June I was in a rut. Finally decided to start studying to become a personal trainer. I'm a fitness nut, and I like the idea of being paid good money to help people. And the idea of being able to wear shorts and a tshirt to work everyday is pretty godlike.

I suggest taking this time to figure out what you really want to do and how to get the ball rolling. Also, friends friends friends. Hang out. Do fun stuff. Do new stuff.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Don't think about it.
Honestly, its easy to sit around and "live in your head". I've never met you... played against you... anything. I am around your age... a little older and finishing school for the EXACT same reason you stated above. Finding the small victories in life will help.
Obviously you are driven to be productive. Finding a job is hard. People only want to hire people they know. Its a sad fact of life.
If you can find a positive in each day... eventually something good will happen. There is always tic for tat in my mind. I was always taught and felt that if I lied about something and got away with it... eventually something bad would happen. If i told the truth and was punished... something good would eventually happen. That is really how I view most day to day things.
Sometimes opening a door for someone leads to an opportunity. If you believe the opportunity will happen... it will. You have to trust that you as a person are good enough to be something. The rut won't last. You won't let it!!!

Seriously, don't let this get to you. Things will turn. darkest before the dawn... and all those other cliche's :D

Book, I'm 15, I couldn't tell you the slightest thing about finding jobs. But I can tell you how to deal with depression.
One thing to do is to be around more people, don't just sit in your room all day. Find friends that enjoy things you like to do, go to tournaments/locals, hang out and have fun!
Another is working out, that's the number one key. I was depressed when I was younger because of how much weight I accumulated over the years(only about 45 pounds heavier than I was supposed to be but still.) I'm approximately 6' 5" and 225 pounds now and working out every single day of my life. When you workout you feel GREAT! Not only energy-wise but also about yourself, you gain more self-confidence(which can actually help in job interviews).
Just whatever you do, do not admit or begin to feel like your in a depressive state.

As far as job's do go, find out what you really want to do. Don't just go do any job just to get money. Make a career doing what you love to do. When people have careers doing things they don't like, they fall into a never-ending pit of depression.

Best of luck to you man!
~Hound.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Wells Fargo you say? That's funny I used to work for Wells Fargo as a teller for 3 years. I recently had to quit, because they wouldn't work around my school schedule.

Wells Fargo is an evil entity, be glad you're gone :p

BookBurning

Voidwards
Wells Fargo you say? That's funny I used to work for Wells Fargo as a teller for 3 years. I recently had to quit, because they wouldn't work around my school schedule.

Yeah man, I've known people who have worked for Wells for YEARS and they laid them off like nothing, it's like they just have no respect for their employees whatsoever. But thanks, all of you are great, I'm always reminded why I'm part of this community. :)

22 years old

sucks that youre in this situation man, nowadays getting a decent job is pretty hard. Knowing youre not the only helps a bit right? and youre 22 years young, you still got enough time. And living at your parents also has its advantages, i just recently moved out and occassionaly remember how easy some things went when i lived at my parents home.

U must have some old colleugues or classmates you can keep in contact with, or even people from the fg community, ask people through ur social connection if they know any jobs available and maybe they could even reccommend u man.

Peace

Book, I'm 15, I couldn't tell you the slightest thing about finding jobs. But I can tell you how to deal with depression.
One thing to do is to be around more people, don't just sit in your room all day. Find friends that enjoy things you like to do, go to tournaments/locals, hang out and have fun!
Another is working out, that's the number one key. I was depressed when I was younger because of how much weight I accumulated over the years(only about 45 pounds heavier than I was supposed to be but still.) I'm approximately 6' 5" and 225 pounds now and working out every single day of my life. When you workout you feel GREAT! Not only energy-wise but also about yourself, you gain more self-confidence(which can actually help in job interviews).
Just whatever you do, do not admit or begin to feel like your in a depressive state.

As far as job's do go, find out what you really want to do. Don't just go do any job just to get money. Make a career doing what you love to do. When people have careers doing things they don't like, they fall into a never-ending pit of depression.

Best of luck to you man!
~Hound.
nice post man, but it depends on what kind of education he has gone through, I dont think he has that many options based on his post. working out really helps man!! u need to get your head off on this man, u need some time for yourself, thinking about getting a job 24 hours WILL make you depressed, if u dont know that many people go to a fitness center or somethin and approach people, if u dont know what to say just ask for tips like what are the best workouts, how long he has been working out, what days he works out and just talk to people everytime u get there, u might meet some nice people who can get u into a nice job and if not, u just made some nice friends.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Hello fellow Iowan. I'm from the Iowa City area.

Work world sucks man. Especially right now. You just have to be patient. With the economy in the toilet it's especially hard. I was living with Mom and Dad till I was 23. I'm now 26. I was with temp agency doing contract IT work until finally last year a company picked me up. I didnt think I was ever going to get anything steady. Keep your head up and dont be in to much of a rush. You'll get your shot.

I know it's 2 hours away but we have monthly tournament in Cedar Rapids. It's a lot of good fun and it gets your mind off the bullshit. Your more than welcome to attend...maybe you already do?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Depression is really hard to get through, and if you let it take hold and focus on it, it will only get worse. I suggest finding something positive in your life (or create something positive in your life), and focus on your happiness.

I strongly suggest finding some way to help out in the community. It should help with the depression (doing something positive, and less time to focus on the negative), and it looks REALLY GOOD on a resume. Also see about getting a Level 3 First Aid ticket. It's pretty inexpensive, and makes you extremely attractive over another candidate with the same qualifications.

aj1701

Noob

Bah, this is every company. NEVER have loyalty to any company. Be there for yourself first and foremost. The second you're not getting what you demand, leave and find something else. Of course that may be easier said then done.

If you don't have a useful college degree (political science or communications are NOT useful), I strongly recommend one. I'm still technically paying off my student loans (I rolled them into a refinance of my house), but it was well worth if. Book, if you can, go for it. A degree that's both practical and something you will love. Getting my BS in Computer Science has well been worth it.

Above all else, never put your self worth into external things. Whether you have a job, lots of nearby friends, etc. Those things aren't always what you expect. Believe in yourself, and know that you'd be an asset at any company. Confident, not cocky. It will serve you well.

Others have posted great ideas to keep your confidence high. Work out, set goals you can acomplish (this one is just like improving in MK). This will help you keep a positive outlook, and people really notice it.

Don't let the "you're not qualified" BS get to you. I was once told that when I applied to be a video store cleck in college... and during HS I had that exact job! Its people being stupid, or giving you a BS reason, not the real reason.

Good luck man, it will work out. You may have to look outside your state though, sometimes you need to go to the oppurtunities instead of them coming to you!

Ok, I'm done being a cliche now.. :)

Korpse

PTH | Korpse
i feel for you man, i can't even land a job at all. I'm Eighteen just graduated High School, but my dad is military so we move A LOT, i have never had a chance to apply for a job and to land it so i can have reliable contacts and references for later on. So now as i am applying for jobs where i am at now, nobody wants to hire somebody who has no experience or people who can vouch for them who aren't family. I need an income so volunteering is out of the question. GRANTED ido not have it nearly as bad as you and i will fully admit to that, but the way i just see the world going, with parents setting their kids up for everything (i don't know about anybody else but it just pisses me off to know end when i see a kid who looks like their 14 yrs old working a job just anywhere because you just know mommy and daddy set it all up for them) i may just end up like my dad and i may just have to join the military as well, which is not appealing to me at all. Rant done sorry if i offended any1 did not mean too

JkOC

Noob
I went through something similar at 22. I'm 30 now. I had good job paying over 15 bucks an hour with benifits at a factory, was living on my own and got laid off. I was in bad shape, struggling to pay bills, find a job, ect. I played video games a lot too, and got down on myself too. I got out of it by selling my ps2(which you dont have to do, but it helped me get out of my apt), working out and getting healthy, going out and searching for a job from 9-5 like looking for a job was my job, and getting out of the house to do anything(like just going to a friends to watch sopranos, anything). It was hard, it sucked, but it paid off. I got a crappy job as a bar back/ delivery guy/dishwasher/line cook at a bar not making good money. A year and half later i was managing the place and found a carrer I love. The main point is dont get down, take action and things will work out. You never know what will come of this. Looking back, I thought at the time getting laid off from my factory job was awful, but today I see it as the best thing that ever happened to me. Years later I have a really good life, enjoy my work and I'm gamming again too. Keep your head up, I don't know you but I wish you the best. 10 no's a day, and take whatever you can get. Good luck.

Saint

Noob
I feel you.

Personally when I sit at home too much I tend to get inside my head, too much thoughts floating around.

Also, I feel fighting games are probably the worst games when trying to escape reality.

Socialize, we're social creatures, you'll be surprised how much it helps.

I can't be bothered getting into details on this subject on forums, but if you feel like it, hit me up and we can talk

Cheer up dude

All I can say is, Keep positive and take it all with a grain of salt. I myself am in a worse situation. I got kicked out of where I lived for not paying the rent on time, which was a rat hole in the ghetto mind you, and am living with my mother now :rofl:Whats funny about it all is that the day I got evicted was the same day I got fired from Subway. I mean, seriously, who the hell manages to get fired from Subways? :rofl: Well, i did. It happened because I flipped out on the customers during lunch, since the place was packed and the customers were assholes. I wigged out completely and started tossing food and bread at the customers. I shit you not.

I also suffer from clinical depression, social anxiety, ocd, insomnia, and Bi-polar disorder. I started displaying symptoms early in my teen years but left them unattended. After several years of struggling and completely ruining my life (No Social skills, No life skills, Dropped out of high school) I finally took the leap and went to see a shrink. I now see the shrink once a month and get my scrips. I pop a few pills, get plastered and wipe my ass with everything. I have a shitty ass job in a warehouse now where I have to break a sweat constantly in this muggy, repulsive weather in Florida. All for a shitty ass wage. I'm just another wage slave struggling like most people. I get home everyday with a severe case of swamp ass and dog tired to the point where I can't even shit if I wanted to. The thought of straining to crap makes me depressed at that point. :rofl:

I'm in the process of applying for disability because I literally cannot function in society. I don't know how to. Despite all this, I still manage to make it through albeit unpleasantly. A smart man would have taken one to the noggin already if he were in my shoes but you know what, I'm a dumb son of a bitch. I'll keep on trucking and laughing at all the BS the cosmos keep throwing at me :rofl:

You know that they say, life is one big cosmic joke.
Take a pill, take a sip, take a toke, sit back, indulge in some nicotine, and laugh.

Your pal,

GodsLonelyMan.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Hi!

So I just went through this thread, and my heart goes out to you and everyone else that is suffering. It sucks, and I hope things improve for all of us! ♥

I think everyone has good advice, and hopefully we can all learn something useful from each other.

My advice is this (and this is just my opinion, btw!):

In zen buddhism, the buddha teaches that when conditions are sufficient, the thing manifests.

In other words, don't worry about a job, because if it's not here yet, conditions are not sufficient.

In the mean time, try to bring yourself to the moment as much as you can, because to worry on the future will only bring depression and unhappiness. Who knows what the future will be? You could be dead in three days. Or tomorrow. Or in 70 years. What a waste of time, then, to have spent so much time worrying about the future when you were going to be dead anyways. Better to spend time doing the things that you love instead. And by doing things you love, you will naturally attract things you love, including a good ass job :)

Try to find activities that reflect your love, understanding, or compassion. These three things bring peace. Yes, video games can help with this, as long as you are enjoying them and not using them to drown your sorrows. In zen, when you don't give proper attention to your dark feelings, they will turn into demons and plague you. By treating them the way a mother treats her baby, you can heal and soothe them. This is done by paying attention to the feeling when it arises, noticing it, and breathing deeply. So simple. Please try it!

Anywho, I know this advice sounds silly, but its simply another opinion, and hopefully can be helpful to someone. Take care! ♥

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Sorry to hear that. Luckily I feel like people at your age are more capable of bouncing back from a job loss than people who are much older. My Mom has been having a really hard time finding work at all. She raised my brother and myself (twins) as a single mother (never met my father, don't care to) her whole life and worked temp job after temp job just to pay rent and feed us. Now my brother and myself try to help her as much as possible even though she refuses to take our help, but that's what family is for. You are lucky enough to have a home to live in and the free time to actually play video games. Just keep looking for work and try to make contacts with friends that could potentially help you with your work situation. You will get back on your feet.

Edit: You might want to consider going to school if you are feeling lost as well. Study something that truly interests you.