What's new

how'd you choose a main?

Tyrin

Noob
I picked Shang Tsung as my main because carrying people all over the screen and back with skulls looks badass.

Kousen

Noob
I always pick someone I want to main, and it I end up with ryu/scorpion, but that they are who I am good with. So, if you are good with them play with them

I choose sonya and sindel.
Sonya because she is fast and she is for me an rush char and i love to do pressure with her.
Sindel because i love to zoning with her my oponents to death.
:)

IIAvirus

Banned
I chose mileena because she has a really good mix up game high and low and I find her combos enjoyable and prefer using a female character to show people how bad ass they can actually be!! whatever suits you tho side note: i love her x ray sick!!!

JGG

Noob
Before the game came out I picked Raiden. Didn't even care how good he was or how he played, just wanted to be a badass.

Turned out well for me, since he's a beast and is way fun to play. Also, not stupid popular like reptile/smoke/ermac/kung lao. I never like playing a character when everyone else does the hard work of finding what works.

Jiendo

Noob
I originally chose Smoke because I really wanted to main a ninja (I don't think reptile really looks like one and Ermac strikes me of more of a mage than a ninja these days) and I figured Scorpion and Subzero being who they are the game will be flooded with them (poster boys of MK right there :p) and a friend of mine had already picked to use Noob. Played Smoke a bit didn't really click, just didn't fit. I dunno it might be because I found the character himself a little bland in the story mode, might be that I just didn't like how he played.

So with no main I started playing the story mode. First character you get to use in it I loved. Good old Johnny cage. Fun to play (this is at a low level, im only now attempting learning his combos) funny ass character, i still laugh at his fatality with the award in the head. Ive dabbled a little in most characters and I found him to be my favorite to play with, hes the kinda character id put the yards in to learn his combos.

Oh and of course I love his Xray...Things awesome

So yeah I pick my character on if they click. I don't care if they're high or low tier. If the top tier character is meh to me I won't use them (That said if im torn between 2 characters and ones top tier and ones low tier I will prob pick the high tier one) ... I guess I lucked out since from what ive seen JC seems to be fairly high on the tier list....Woo :D

cyke_out

Noob
It took a while before I settled on my main, in the demo I was all about Johnny Cage, then I played Cyrax becuase I loved his command throw into bomb trap, and I messed around with nigthwolf and Jax.

but once I played Kano, I was hooked. It's like he combined my love of projectile heavy zoners mixed with my love of hard hitting grapplers into one bad-ass knife wielding maniac package.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
When I first got my hands on the game I dicked around with every character in training for about 30 minutes to an hour over the course of a few days. Which ever character's juggles/combos felt more natural to me I decided to invest most of my time into. Mileena ended up being that character this time around.

Frost

Noob
Before the game came out I picked Raiden. Didn't even care how good he was or how he played, just wanted to be a badass.

Turned out well for me, since he's a beast and is way fun to play. Also, not stupid popular like reptile/smoke/ermac/kung lao. I never like playing a character when everyone else does the hard work of finding what works.
I feel the same way.... I loved Ermac but saw him in every video I found of MK so I got immediately repulsed by using him. For now I'm sticking to Cyber Sub even though I hate using slides mid-combo... I can never pull them off. For now I'm settled on using CSZ and Noob, even though Noob pisses me off because I don't feel comfortable using corner resets and such, I'm more of a rushdown kinda guy. Hopefully I won't change mains sooner or later.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I picked Shang cause he's my favorite char. I then wanted to slit my wrists the past 2 weeks realizing he cannot stop rushdown (at all) and gets mudered by anybody with a teleport. So I picked Nightwolf cause he can do everything I want in a char

Honestly I usually have a hard time picking up a main in fighting games but, in MK9 I had it pretty easy I was dead set on playing Scorpion and Cyber Sub-Zero. So those characters I have been sticking with till launch.

Cass

Noob
I choose characters that have a nice and good look for me!!!
fortunately they are always good characters in their respective games.
Abel : SSF4
Hazama : Blazblue
Julia : Tekken 6
Leona, Clark & Kyo : KoF 2002 Um
Jade : Mk9

I still haven't decided on my main to be perfectly honest. Right now I'm pretty much playing around with the game. I want to try everyone out except Raiden and ninjas because I just hate them that much. :)

So far I've tried: Reptile, Baraka, Sindel, Mileena, Stryker, Kano and Nightwolf. Now my problem is I actually like them all! But out of those guys, Stryker, Kano and Mileena are the most fun to use. I kinda feel cheap when I pick Nightwolf or Reptile lol. Baraka is fun too, I want to use him as sub since everyone thinks he sucks so much.

I wish Juri was in MK. She's so hot.

I came in playing MK9 decided on playing one of the whores. Needless to say I enjoy Kitana's playstyle (why does Jade have to suck?)

The Blacktastic

OBS Supporter
Whenever I first dive into a game, I always pick the most straightforward character and play as him/her in order to get a grasp of the game's mechanics and how the combo system works.

Take Street Fighter, for example. Shotos are pretty much (albeit not always) the most fundamental characters to play. Ryu, equipped with a spacing tool (Fireball/Hadouken), an anti air special(Shoryuken), and a potentially damaging combo ender (Tatsumaki), best fits this straightforwardness.

In Mortal Kombat 9, I chose Liu Kang for pretty much the same reason. His combos are straightforward and damaging (the fact that he can combo into and from his X-Ray helps a lot), he has a really good spacing tool (instant air fireballs), and really good mixup strings and 50/50s in order to keep the pressure on the opponent.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
I chose Stryker because I mained him in UMK3, and because I've always been a fan of guns in general.

I'm choosing to sub Cyber Sub-zero because I used to play Robo-smoke when I was a kid, and he is the psuedo-replacement. Plus I like saying that I sub Sub.

I chose Stryker because I mained him in UMK3, and because I've always been a fan of guns in general.

I'm choosing to sub Cyber Sub-zero because I used to play Robo-smoke when I was a kid, and he is the psuedo-replacement. Plus I like saying that I sub Sub.
Cool to see a Stryker player. Not many of them at all. And Cyber's fun. :D

I have been maining with Sektor since the missiles prove good zoning and I am okay getting kombos established with the TU start. My big issue is finding a secondary character for when the Sektor philosophy doesn't match up well.

Hey I'm new here too loving the info on here. As far as picking a main I picked Kitana because sometimes I like picking ladies, and I also like that she can zone but also has some high damaging combos, I like characters who can do many things well.

Detective-E

We are many.
When I first got the game, I had a friend over and after a few friendy matches we decided to do Tag Team Tower. Being the men we were, we played on Expert.

I tried a few different characters, he had chosen my demo's main, Scorpion, and stuck with it so I switched characters every round until we won.
Eventually I got stuck to Ermac, because it was really easy to juggle with him. After playing a bit I picked up his moves and he's been my main ever since, despite his popularity.