What's new

Question How your main covers your weaknesses

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I came to play several different people, and i still see a lot struggling to find a main character, either they can't bond with the character, or just don't know how to fully explore their tools.

My question to TYM is, gameplay wise, do you pick a character because it covers weakness in departments you're lacking? Or something else in particular.

2 peoples who asked me a character to play actually ended up staying with them in long term and now they're doing good with them.

Me for example, a lot of people doesn't see me much as a Kung Lao or Scorpion guy, yet i choose these characters to play and tend to switch from one to another depending of the match, i pick my characters based on things that can be hard to deal with as a player inside the game, so having a character with such traits it makes excel my own game without bothering too much with the details.

Hat Trick
Disjointed hitbox to stop j2, anti-airing, mobility and easy pressure/chip damage

Scorpion (Ninjutsu)
I pick ninjutsu mostly because of the range, and playing the spacing/poking game so i can later on escape for a clean punish, but he still loses to characters who can out range him or frame trap him often, still it requires more work to escape jumps, wakeups , and to properly space against the opponent compared to Kung lao, but i still like the character very much.

For example, has anyone wonders why Sonic Fox picked Erron Black in first place? And gradually changed from Erron to Kitana, and then to Cassie? Remembering that he played Cassie at the launch week, but i think only later one he really picked the character for real, so any hunch why?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I main Scorp Hellfire and cycle through a bunch of other characters

Still looking for the perfect supplement, gonna try Sektor nextor

I originally picked cassie because her character design and restand with Hollywood but now I feel so much more comfortable with her because of how easily she allows me to keep people out of the air and anti air crossups with 1 and d1.

Rager Da Prince

I can't help my Fiction addiction.
My footies game was lacking, so I picked Johnny up solely for f3 and it has paid off.
But I'm a casual now who only plays fisticuffs for the brutal.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
I picked Cassie when the game first released but switched to Kitana n mileena a week later. Only to switch to dvorah for good about a month into the game. At the time I was looking for an identity and how I wanted to play and neither of my original picks were how I wanted to play which was in your face pressure pressure pressure. Once I found dvorah swarm queen I never looked back. I still use those characters in casual games but if I'm playing to win I go straight to dvorah. Her weakness was her defense so I just tried to cover it by being over aggressive and overwhelming pressure while trying to predict how my opponent would respond to that. If i got knocked down then I had to wait for my opening. I honestly love using her she's perfect for me because my footsies is pretty mediocre and she helps make up for that as well

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I play lasher because it suits my needs and how I play perfectly, I love controlling space with long reaching normals or projectiles that have good hit boxes but do not have any hurt boxes, so basically I can hit you but you can't hit me, I love controlling the mid range, but not being great at up close and personal or really far away, just this sweet spot mid screen. And lasher does that very well, I also believe that with his tools he has an answer to just about anything but without excelling at it, he has a couple of good match ups but he mostly goes 5-5 with most of that cast. Not to mention his pressure for the match ups where it is required, isn't half bad, and he has some pretty solid mix ups, I dunno just everything gameplay wise and character wise kind of clicks with me, even if I still like kenshi better character wise, but lasher to me gameplay wise is so much fun.

Matix218

Get over here!
Scorpion is my favorite character in general so that is why he is my main but I do really enjoy the tools he was given in this game. Hellfire is a momentum machine and I love the thrill of landing a big combo or punish and knowing I get to pressure them afterwards with fbrc/flame aura pressure. Ninjutsu is also a blast to play with awesome ranged whiff punishment, strong footsies and armor breaking/oki.

I have a GM sub on the side because I love his corner clone traps and I just picked up Smoke as a secondary and I am really enjoying his mobility and mixup game.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I like a jack of all trades. A character that has a bit of everything but who is not necessarily the best at anything. I find this good to be able to switch up my play style depending on what my oponent is doing.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
pick chars to cover weaknesses? Hahahaha who does that?

Unless this thread is some excuse to gently determine tier whoring

I picked up Scorpion because I main him in every MK. I was intrigued by Ninjutsu particularly because it gave Sco the range & footsie tools he lacked in MK9.

I picked Erron Black because he was badass in the MKX comic, and he reminds me of Boba Fett. I chose Outlaw because he has a decent armor move.

I usually main characters that I have fun playing with. Even if the character was low tier, if I'm having fun playing with him im maining him and I'll try to patch up my weakness with that character

Kenshi's teleflurry, a move that must be respected and controls the pace of the match and ANTI AIRS. Love me some anti air lol

Last edited:

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
kang pretty much covers all my weaknesses. I am not really patient and lack good fundamentals so i go for ff kang to just rush down the opponent so i am not forced to play patiently. I d love to imporve in those matters but had no success with it til now. But i am honest i got through with a lot of shit with him why i stick to him.