What's new

How will getting an online following affect MK10

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
MK9 online is shit.The online following we have is not valid.

But what if MK10 gets it right and online play will be exactly the same as offline play? Will online tourneys be legit? Could people finally be able to get better without having an actual offline scene?Will the online warriors be respected?

I'm really curious to see how the community could grow so much faster if the online was actually legit.

IMHO, here's how I got into the competitive side of MK and how having better online could affect online scrubs such as me to be more inclined to be interested in the more "serious stuff":

Better online -> online competition -> competition overall -> actual offline competion -> helping develop the community

It might not make a lot of sense because I'm really tired but try to understant a little bit and discuss.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If there wasn't any delay... then the community as a whole would level up faster, resulting in things like d1~cutter or Shoulder Charge being full combo punishable a norm... not something only the good players pull off.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
This is entirely impossible due to lag and internet connections, etc.
Then how do you explain other games that do so well?Guy, we're in twenty fucking twelve. A game developper messing netcodes like that don't deserve the money they get from the game itself.

CoD: BlOPs had the exact same issue where the lag is exactly the same if not worse than MK. THEY FIXED IT IN 2 WEEKS and a lobby supports , what? 18 players? come on now.

I'm not going to say anything else because I'm obviously not a game developper but seriously...2012.

Online tournaments will never be legit for a multitude of reasons. But having a competent online component can only be beneficial to the growth and longevity of a games community.

Shooting games are ok, because the lag of 1-2 frames arent going to change the game play that much. A 1-2 frames delay for fighting game is a HUGE thing.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Until even the poorest of poor homes have at least nycfurby-status fiber optics in their homes, you can forget the idea of netplay tournaments being viable, unless someone comes along and develops a netcode so amazingly well-built, that you could be on dial-up and still not have major problems.

But having a much more solid netcode would go a long way.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Shooting games are ok, because the lag of 1-2 frames arent going to change the game play that much. A 1-2 frames delay for fighting game is a HUGE thing.
This. Fighting games are much more sensitive and affected by lag than shooters. ONE dropped frame could mean a dropeed combo or punish. Online will NEVER be as good as offline. That being said I hope there is a better netcode with the next game.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Until even the poorest of poor homes have at least nycfurby-status fiber optics in their homes, you can forget the idea of netplay tournaments being viable, unless someone comes along and develops a netcode so amazingly well-built, that you could be on dial-up and still not have major problems.

But having a much more solid netcode would go a long way.
Lag is one thing but having a .10 second delay in a fighting game(or any game that is real-time based) is very very bad.Again, considering that we are in 2012.

Also, not everybody lags.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
No, it's NOT ok for shooting games.If you've played Halo 3 co-op campaign it has that weird lag that MK has with the input delay.

Good luck getting constant headshots or even moving without contantly bumping into walls and falling off of ledges.

No, it's NOT ok for shooting games.If you've played Halo 3 co-op campaign it has that weird lag that MK has with the input delay.

Good luck getting constant headshots or even moving without contantly bumping into walls and falling off of ledges.
1-2 frames in shooting games are actually really good, most online shooting game has lag 5 to over 20 frames. It doesnt change that much, 10 frame is less than .09 second (which isnt that much as shooting game). There is no timing in shooting game, so it doesnt matter. 5 frames could be about like a dot on your screen lag, you would hardly know.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
EVERYONE LAGS, especially online. Anything that go through a medium has lag. Online goes to the internet and it will lag more than off line. I mean with offline, regular hd tv would still feel lag playing MK
BTW, why are there so many TV complaints? I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who has a good TV for MK? lol.The only TV complaint I have is my friend's TV which has that .10 second delay on any input when he's not on HDMI mode.

Now, to the online thing.I don't personally play SSF4AE2012 (god, Capcom and their multiversions of SF), but I do believe that their online is pretty solid because on XBL it feels like offline-play(based off of @Sabin's twitter).Or at least something very close.

But I do come to an agreement that online tourneys will never be viable but online should always feel like offline in any game whatsoever.There's nothing worst in a videogame than not feeling like you have control over your character.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Online always lags.

And online will never be a medium to prove superior skill.
With how rapid technology is advancing, it wouldn't surprise me if what I said becomes a reality and you see every household having internet as fast as the shit Arturo showed me (Which would seriously be godlike...could you imagine everyone having at least 1GB/s speeds??? O_O).

Would kinda be cool to know that online could be viable...but hey, a man can dream, can't he? :p