What's new

How to defeat SonicFox

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Guess right all the time. Practice countless hours of actual rock, paper and sciccors. Con him in playing Street Fighter.

I find it funny that Sonic Fox gets the reverse treatment. Usually when top players win or place top its no biggie and and a HUGE blow up when they lose. Such is life as a top player and it just is how it is.

Then there is Sonic Fox who, when he wins or places top, it becomes a HUGE deal. You would think we colonized Mars by how important threads where he wins/placings are made out to be. Yet, when he loses and falls short, there is no blow up. It just gets perceived as "ehh.. it happens but he is still unbeatable". Even when he loses in the ESL tourney and throws his pad across the room after losing to SZ on video its ok. Then, after losing, went on to blame the character that beat him saying how unfair it is that he was prevented from playing neutral. It wasn't until later when he calmed down that he gave any shred of credit to his opponent or even began to admit that he (not was) MIGHT have been out played and needed to play the mu more. Any other top player would have 99999 jokes made about "ohhh the salt" and "ahh excuses, yes.. blame the character", etc.. but not the Fox.. its as if it never happens.

He is also labelled as unbeatable or nearly unbeatable. Even in a loss it is seen as a fluke despite the fact that it came at the hands of another top player. He is seen as someone on an untouchable level and 10 notches above the rest of the mere mortal top players.

I think this is why you see some players even at the top make comments about Sonic Fox..

I agree with REO that he has matured greatly as a player and is much harder to deal with now then he was in the past. People tend to actually sell Sonic Fox's strengths short which is why they lose, they just don't realize that he is actually good and not some mindless kid mashing out set play.

Last edited:
  1. Don't go to the corner, ever. Stay Mid-screen. Don't even try to trap him in the corner, cause he'll more than likely reverse you.
  2. Don't drop your combos. Lab as much as possible for this.
  3. Don't forget how to punish. There are a lot of punish opportunities.
  4. Don't forget how important meter is.
  5. Relax. He's a player too ya know.

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
I find it funny that Sonic Fox gets the reverse treatment. Usually when top players win or place top its no biggie and and a HUGE blow up when they lose. Such is life as a top player and it just is how it is.

Then there is Sonic Fox who, when he wins or places top, it becomes a HUGE deal. You would think we colonized Mars by how important threads where he wins/placings are made out to be. Yet, when he loses and falls short, there is no blow up. It just gets perceived as "ehh.. it happens but he is still unbeatable". Even when he loses in the ESL tourney and throws his pad across the room after losing to SZ on video its ok. Then, after losing, went on to blame the character that beat him saying how unfair it is that he was prevented from playing neutral. It wasn't until later when he calmed down that he gave any shred of credit to his opponent or even began to admit that he (not was) MIGHT have been out played and needed to play the mu more. Any other top player would have 99999 jokes made about "ohhh the salt" and "ahh excuses, yes.. blame the character", etc.. but not the Fox.. its as if it never happens.

I think this is why you see some players even at the top make comments about Sonic Fox..

I agree with REO that he has matured greatly as a player and is much harder to deal with now then he was in the past. People tend to actually sell Sonic Fox's strengths short which is why they lose, they just don't realize that he is actually good and not some mindless kid mashing out set play.
To be honest I think his age has a lot to do with why people don't blow him up as much as they do the other players. I mean lets be real, how "big" do you feel saying a teenager sucks at a game? Also the situation you just described sounds hilarious and I would love a link to that so I could laugh my ass off. Credit where credit is do though, he is a very good player, and I think once he's old enough to drink we won't feel bad bashing his loses the way we don't feel bad verbally abusing other top players, such as yourself, when they inevitably lose.

To be honest I think his age has a lot to do with why people don't blow him up as much as they do the other players. I mean lets be real, how "big" do you feel saying a teenager sucks at a game? Also the situation you just described sounds hilarious and I would love a link to that so I could laugh my ass off. Credit where credit is do though, he is a very good player, and I think once he's old enough to drink we won't feel bad bashing his loses the way we don't feel bad verbally abusing other top players, such as yourself, when they inevitably lose.
I agree 100% which is why it doesn't bother me but I know quite a few that it does bother. Sonic Fox has earned the highest amount of respect from me.

qspec

Noob
I think he also gets more props because he does well on the big stage in:

MK(9 and 10)
Injustice
Skullgirls
UNIEL
P4AU
DoA5

Plus, from what little I've garnered, he's said to be a nice kid.

And he does catch plenty of shit for his wins.

The only comment on the Injustice, 2014 Evo round is "Sonic Fox is a bitch".

Here's one from 2 weeks ago on the MK9 round from the same Evo year:
"same old cheapass sonic fox. always goes for corners and uses the same combo over and over and once the opponent realizes and blocks he does a throw 3 to 4 times in a row, so fucking cheap. I don't know why anyone considers him to be a good mortal kombat player, he's a cheap player."

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Watch HoneyBee vs SonicFox at Winterbrawl (I think?) Injustice grand final. HB outplayed SFox by doing what 16 Bit said; slowing down the match and making him take unnecessary risks. I think SF has the tendency to become a bit reckless when he's worried which HB took full advantage of. We're talking FG though, and just because you outplay someone doesn't necessarily mean you'll win every time.
I'm bringing this up because we need to Stop @SonicFox5000, he is no longer a kid anymore either, and his latent power has finally caught up with his age as some of us were predicting in MK9

Honeybee currently is among the players that have most chances of beating him consistently.

From what i have seen in EVO
The list is narrowed to a few players, which in the top 8 something always went wrong with them, (DJT and MIT as well)

Also i came to the conclusion that he is currently ahead of the competition, he is consistent on punishing things others players are having problem dealing with.
He is the best trip guard punisher right now, he also punishes anti- crossups, he recognizes tendencies fast and knows exactly when to reverse pressure, but he also has his routines mistakes, that are hard to see, but they're still there.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I love the notion that a young age makes being good at video games impressive hahaha!
kids these days are wired into the thing, the generation who had consoles before they had 2 digits to their age.

I'm no fan of his furry showboating attitude (but I would be too if I were winning everything minus the furry), but he's probably a nice person and he sure is one talented player, But I think the greatest thing with a thread like this is that it shows we don't have some unbeatable master, he's very beatable but he just pulls through most of the time by the skin of his teeth, he's definitely #1 right now for a good reason.
He's grown on me for sure.

I belive that the brat wins with fear, not skill. just don't be afraid of him ffs.
Sorry, but that's just stupid. You don't just win Evo in 3 different games and countless other majors based on luck. How do you think he got people to "fear" him in the first place?

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
I think actually being random would help.

How many times have "skilled" players lost to some random scrub bullshit? I read about it on here all the time.

If you go in with the perception that your opponent is going to do this to combo to this, etc--it really backfires if your opponent is just random AF. It cuts down your reaction time because you honestly have no clue what your opponent's game is.

Also, pressure. That's how HoneyBee did so well against him. Went right up and laid that pressure on. SonicFox wins because he's so good at overwhelming you with pressure--but he's also shown that he, too, is susceptible to it.

Just my random two cents worth on the matter. ;D

I don't have a problem with Sonic being so dominant. Good for him. Having him as our ultimate Champ is totally fine, because he's freaking Godlike.
But it is kinda hard to root for a furry boy. Like, i would rather root for that creepy "Reptile's feet" guy.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
I belive that the brat wins with fear, not skill. just don't be afraid of him ffs.
Someone else gets it. This sounds like the dumbest thing but you can actually respect someone too much and it will really hurt you in the long run. PPL need to stop playing his game and start to force SonicFox to play their's. Some ppl are just to scared to press a button against sonic and they just sit there for half a match and take most of their life in fear of mixups. More risks need to be taken IMO. I would be interested to see how foxy (and other top players) would have gone if they didn't know they were fighting sonic. Sonic keeps shutting down ppls options just cause he is sonic lol. Why respect him if he hasn't made you respect him yet? Cause he beats other players? Make him respect you and use your options which I know is way harder in a real tournament but just think of him as some random, someone without a rep or that you have ever thought. My opinion anyway.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Yeah I'm sure honeybee who sent him to losers was terrified and A foxy grandpa who hadn't lost a set all weekend had no idea how he was going to keep him from winning two sets before he won 1. If this isn't a troll it might be the dumbest post of tym.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
Someone else gets it. This sounds like the dumbest thing but you can actually respect someone too much and it will really hurt you in the long run. PPL need to stop playing his game and start to force SonicFox to play their's. Some ppl are just to scared to press a button against sonic and they just sit there for half a match and take most of their life in fear of mixups. More risks need to be taken IMO. I would be interested to see how foxy (and other top players) would have gone if they didn't know they were fighting sonic. Sonic keeps shutting down ppls options just cause he is sonic lol. Why respect him if he hasn't made you respect him yet? Cause he beats other players? Make him respect you and use your options which I know is way harder in a real tournament but just think of him as some random, someone without a rep or that you have ever thought. My opinion anyway.
Your opinion makes no god damn sense. Top players don't just become top players.

Work. Time. Practice. Traveling. Patience. Nerves. Mentality. Skill.

They all play a part and separates the top from the rest. You can't just beat someone bc you don't fear them. People win for a reason.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
This thread is real?

Anyway, from what i watch NOONE and i mean NOONE njp him at ALL even the obvious corner jumps he does.

Nor does anyone jumps over his projectiles when he's "zoning" for example .. If kitana throws a fan on the ground, you can.. Ya know .. Jump right over her fans and punish that bitch -_-

Last edited:

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
He is just good. That game is very easy. Almost every character has 50/50/. Erron Black has a lot of option (cancels, mix ups etc).

Sonixfox is just hard to read. I played against other ESL finalist and guy played Scorpion. I lost almost everything because I couldn't guess right.

the same story is with sonic fox. He can cancel 2112 into sand bomb or command grab or something else. You must guess all the time.