What's new

How to deal with people that keep hitting D3 or D4 when I get up close?

Hi, kind of new here and need some advice.

I've noticed a lot of people will just sit and spam out on low kicks anytime I get in close to them making it almost impossible for me to get a string in. The last few games it has happened it were vs. a Reptile user that would do his elbow dash and immediately hit D3 or D4 upon my block.

I felt like I couldn't do anything about it at all. I've also noticed a ton of Milleena and Sindell users will do it to bait either the overhead or cartwheel move.

I main Nightwolf and Sub Zero, I would lighting but it is very unsafe at close range.

Thanks for the help.

My first thought is jump in punch or crossover punch when you think they're going to do that. Might have a tougher time with that online getting anti aired.

TasteTheRainbow

Self-appointed king
As Nightwolf, remember that Shoulder Ram is unsafe against crouching attacks, so don't spam it up close if they get into the habit of doing that kind of stuff. The best way to deal with them is to sit just outside the tip range and either poke with f+4 (nut kick), arrow or shoulder in between attacks (good luck doing that online). F+3,1 can also work as it's a very fast poke with a lot of range and forward movement, and it combos into your BnB.

The best thing to do is to remember that online =/= offline in this situation and crouching pokes are made exponentially better. Don't get mad and play the safe game if they do that kind of stuff. Nightwolf is a character that can both zone and rushdown as he feels like it, so fall back on your defensive game when needed. It's not always all about being up close and personal.

Edit: Cross over punch isn't a good idea on crouching attacks like that either because some characters' hitboxes seem to go lower to the ground when executing that, hence making the punch whiff. You can try landing very low jump kicks (ie: what would be shin height if they'd be standing up, so around chest height while they're crouching) but it's not very reliable online and gives them a ton of time to anti-air you if they have a decent uppercut. My advice remains to stay outside the tip range of the kick and play the safe game when they fall back on that.

Yeah, a friend of mine has a really good Mileena and he uses the low pokes alot. You can't really jump over and cross her up because her hitbox is so small.

Dude, 22 string with subzero all day. I'm fairly sure it'll reach down there, and the range is just huge. I believe the slide will also out prioritize the low kicks, and even so, D3/4 doesn't chain very quickly, so If you time it right you can hit them between attacks.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'd also suggest f+4~freeze. its an overhead that will freeze right into some BnB. it should (not totally sure) hit from outside of their poke range. if they just sit there... puddle will catch them off guard ... but I don't suggest it ever.

The way that i've found to punish low kick spam or anything of that type of annoyance, is that find the move you can spam back and win with. Sub zero is definitely going to be your 22 string. When you block that shoulder and he goes low, block the first one or 2, and throw you're 22 out there. Do it until the cheap son of a bitch stops. With nightwolf, I bet you could use his thunder move before they have a chance to react, cause you can bet your bottom dollar anyone using that as their means to win, is also just mashing the hell outta 3/4. Spam them until they have to change strategies.