What's new

How to deal with Mileena?

Enenra

Go to hell.
Mileena is just... RAGE. I find any fight with her to be an annoying, drawn out, turd of a match. And I only win 50-60% of the time. Right now I hit Sub Zero, Scorpion, and Rain almost exclusively. If ANYONE has a strategy with any of these three, please let me know. So much salt concentrated towards just one character.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Let's just say that if you block her wake ups or any of her specials (roll and teleport kick), they are very punishable. Always, always keep your distance to avoid her footsies and close range game with the overheads and low attacks and she will eventually have to throw out a teleport kick in order to get in or might have to waste meter to do so. Bait that wake up and never assume they will jump in instead. Always await for that teleport after knock down, block it, and do your usual string/bnb. Hell, the move easy to punish before even blocking it to be honest.

Also, if you do block her teleport move, be patient and remain blocking until you know it is not an EX move or if the player is going to throw sais keep herself airborne a bit longer. As for her zoning, do not fall for that game. Always remember that she is trying to bait your jump in as she keep throwing them so just keep dash blocking forward or just end her zoning with an armored move to keep her from building meter. Get at whatever distance you need to pull it off.

This is just a general strategy. Hope it helps.

Metalic

Noob
Sub's is easy. If she attempts an overhead kick, she's insanely negative on block. If she attempts another one after the first, you can 22~ice her out of it for a combo. Teleport can be 22~ice'd as well for a combo of choice on block. Once she learns she can't wake-up attack without being punished for a combo, you're free to pressure after a knockdown. Just be careful, after a knockdown if you clone, wake up teleport will get you. Almost everything she does, Sub can punish without much trouble. EX teleports second hit MUST be blocked low, punish with uppercut.

Also, jump back kick~clone will catch a teleport if you read it early enough.

AIBOSTON

Don't be mad!
Sub's is easy. If she attempts an overhead kick, she's insanely negative on block. If she attempts another one after the first, you can 22~ice her out of it for a combo. Teleport can be 22~ice'd as well for a combo of choice on block. Once she learns she can't wake-up attack without being punished for a combo, you're free to pressure after a knockdown. Just be careful, after a knockdown if you clone, wake up teleport will get you. Almost everything she does, Sub can punish without much trouble. EX teleports second hit MUST be blocked low, punish with uppercut.

If you try that on me....You will lose.....

Warplay

Noob
If someone's good with Mileena, you just have to expose the players weaknesses. She's one of the characters that can be used in a variety of ways, so everyone will play with her different.

If you're playing mediocre to weak competition, just watch for her dive kick and ball roll(which you can block standing) and punish that. Usually only the high level players can avoid the temptation of abusing those moves.

Yeah, Mileena sure is a dirt bag to say the least. I cant comment on tournament level play but for the Mileenas online I just hold the block button the entire round waiting for her to do that dumb overhead or ball roll which will come eventually then punish, rinse/repeat. Doesnt always work but hey, unless we get a pro in here with some real options, its the best I got, lol.

I hate Mileena too! She is very difficult to defeat. I usually pick Liu Kang on Mileena and rush her down. When you rush your opponent down, they begin to panic and don't play correctly. Also Liu Kang has that teleport/counter move, so if Mileena does too many teleport kicks, i just do that counter move and punish her teleports. I always block after I knock Mileena down, becuz I know either a teleport kick or a ball roll is coming on wakeup.

Snolla

Noob

Metalic has some very good points here.

/Thread

redeyes

Button Masher
bait her into doing dumb thing and punish thats really all you can do VS her due to ball roll or tele kick as AA and down4 raping you if you stand still.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
It's really good to see that Mileena players know how to break their own character down for somebody struggling with the matchup.

Bait her into doing something dumb. That's genius advice. I couldn't find that sort of technology in any character forum anywhere...

Oh, and don't be mad.

It's really good to see that Mileena players know how to break their own character down for somebody struggling with the matchup.

Bait her into doing something dumb. That's genius advice. I couldn't find that sort of technology in any character forum anywhere...

Oh, and don't be mad.
Was it good for you?

Couldn't have been better.
Sorry I couldn't resist.

To the original poster: As a Mileena player I would just recommend playing much more cautious than most matchups. As others are saying, weaker Mileena players love abusing telekicks and rolls, and you have to be prepared to jump kick in on D4 abusers. Your game plan going in should be to take your damage when they give it to you, rather than always just trying to create your own opportunities. Also, a lot of Mileena players play loose, so you can almost definitely get away with a couple well timed gambles per round, which will keep them honest.

Evrain

Noob
Patience and blocking is your friend against Mileena. I feel that because of Mileena's playstyle a lot of her players tend to be impatient and would rather be bashing out rolls, TKs and trying to cause random havoc - depending on the player and if they are good or not, it can be quite effective, however it can also be her downfall. Again, to reiterate, this is where patience and blocking comes in and with that you can punish heavily. Despite some Mileena players being punished time and time again for the same TK or Ball Roll, some still actually continue to do it, which I think is out of habit - so take advantage of that.

Do not fall for the B3, B4 trick, in which a Mileena player will try condition you into low blocking and then you will eat a U4 overhead combo, which can be up to 30~36% damage a pop so you should fuzzy guard or just try and get away from her foot range. If a Mileena is managing to spam D4 on you and are having trouble getting in then JIK usually does the trick.

Even bad Mileena players can cause an annoyance at most, but good Mileena players can be a terror to deal with.

Evrain

Noob
If you're most often playing Sub Zero then you can punish a blocked TK/Roll with 2,2~Ice Ball~combo and because her specials leave her airborne upon block it's setting up your combo nicely as a freeze in midair is followed up by a NJP anyway.

I main SZ aswell, and from my experience dash-blocking is your best friend. Keep your cool and wait for your opponent to make their move, and counter accordingly. Once you manage to catch her teleport or roll by dash blocking, I tend to use the 2,1,2-iceball-EXgroundfreeze-combo of choice, or if you don't have meter, 2,1,2-iceball-dash-B1,2-2,1-slide. For the last combo, you will wiff the B1 after the dash, but the 2 will land granting you the rest of the inputs.

Shaylan

GamerGurl
Mileena is a very one dimensional character.

She has the following strategies:
- Projectile to make you careless and teleport kick/roll you into a combo.
- Low poke to make you careless and teleport kick/roll you into a combo.
- Make you block low so she can overhead into a combo.
- Null out pressure with ex wakeup.

That's all she can do.

When is Mileena the most vulnerable?
- When she's throwing a projectile.
- When she's spinning off a block with roll.
- When she realizes her teleport got blocked.
- When her combo whiffs.

When is Mileena at her strongest?
- When the case of recovery is at stake. (She will almost always recover faster from a hit than you do.)
- When you use punishable moves. (That's her ammo, pretty much.)

How to beat Mileena?
1. Null out her pressure game:
- Be patient.
- stay midscreen where she can't reach you with pokes, you can jump on her if she projectiles and you can still block both her specials.
- Be patient.
- punish her when she's NOT moving. Many players make the mistake of trying to intercept a moving Mileena. No.
- Be patient.
- punish her when she whiffs a move or you blocked. Even uppercuts are good online, so you don't drop a combo.
- Be patient.

2. Make her block, and throw her.
- Be patient.
- Wait for her to realize that her setups are falcon'd up by your superior skill of blocking them all.
- Be patient.
- Wait for her to start to try upclose.
- Be patient.
- Mix her up with sweeps and/or other lows and highs, even the odd projectile if you know it's going to make her block.
- Be patient.

3. Be patient.
Mileena thrives on making you freak out and walk right into a dial-in combo.
You need to see: Mileena's combos are input at the start of the match and she executes them automatically at the end of the match while other, non-cheap characters like Subby or my Jade need to bust their yesss for damage.