What's new

Question - Takeda How Much would it Hurt Takeda

Wigy

There it is...
I feel very comfortable in the match up, played tons of games vs GrolarBears and Zyphox in the past few days.

Also, my question still hasn't been answered. Would my purposed change "kill" the character. From the responses I got it seems like you guys never use that move anyway especially to make it whiff. So what would this change do you affect your gameplay in any way?
Its not that it would kill the character its that it doesnt need changed to convience you

I feel very comfortable in the match up, played tons of games vs GrolarBears and Zyphox in the past few days.

Also, my question still hasn't been answered. Would my purposed change "kill" the character. From the responses I got it seems like you guys never use that move anyway especially to make it whiff. So what would this change do you affect your gameplay in any way?
If you mean making it more negative on whif then no, it would not kill the character and it wouldn't change the way hes played. It would just mean we could no longer throw it out as freely against players who are too lazy/haven't gotten around to learning their options

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Its not that it would kill the character its that it doesn't need changed to convince you
It's not to make me happy, yes I made the post but I am not complaining about nor asking for it to be nerfed, as I stated in the main post. This thread is nothing more than a question with a purposed change.

If mean making it more negative on whiff then no, it would not kill the character and it wouldn't change the way hes played. It would just mean we could no longer throw it out as freely against players who are too lazy to learn their options
There is no options when you WHIFF THE MOVE. That is the point I am trying to make.

Options for Takeda after a whiffed Tornado Kick
  • Armor.
  • Back Dash.
  • NJP.
  • Crossover.
  • Jump Back.
  • Block.
  • Pressure with advancing Mids/ OverHeads/ Low
I understand the mobility purpose of the move, that is why I only stated around 10 frames of recovery added. Not making full combo punishable to everyone.

It's not to make me happy, yes I made the post but I am not complaining about nor asking for it to be nerfed, as I stated in the main post. This thread is nothing more than a question with a purposed change.

There is no options when you WHIFF THE MOVE. That is the point I am trying to make.

• Armor.
  • Back Dash.
  • NJP.
  • Crossover.
  • Jump Back.
  • Block.
I understand the mobility purpose of the move, that is why I only stated around 10 frames of recovery added. Not making full combo punishable to everyone.
i know what you meant but its not a free way in when you have the option to punish him before he touches the ground

Skedar70

Noob
I have been playing alot of the beta lately, and have been running across TONS of Takedas. Mostly Ronin and Shirai Ryu. I went from not knowing the match-up to feeling comfortable in it with Reptile at least. I have learned all of the holes on when I can armor and when I can not.

My Number 1 complaint about this character is when he whiffs and the lack of recovery frames on certain moves.

So my question is if they added more recovery frames to some of his specials like the Air Spin for example, would it "kill" the character?

It is safe on block, I have no problem with that but why is it also safe on whiff also? A character with the longest ranged normals in the game that are also safe due to canceling into close Kunai, has a meterless option to get in for free? (While reptile has the same move and it is certain death on whiff, but safe on block)

Moves that I think need more recovery frames:

Shirai Ryu Teleport - just a few maybe 5 recovery frames added.
Universal Air Spin - around 10 recovery frames added.

Please discuss. (Not Crying for nerfs, just trying to have a legit conversation about this topic)

A Perfect example of what I am talking about. Skip to 1:20:40

Bonus Ronin Combo to lighten the mood.
They should also add some recovery frames on whiff to reptile. He is another character with no whiff recovery.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
i know what you meant but its not a free way in when you have the option to punish him before he touches the ground
Use this example.
[Full Screen apart]
Takeda- Jumps
Reptile - Throws Fast Force Ball
Takeda - Reacts with Tornado Kick (doesn't commit for full length)

I can't do anything to punish you in the Air is my point.

Wigy

There it is...

• Armor.
  • Back Dash.
  • NJP.
  • Crossover.
  • Jump Back.
  • Block.
Fair enough buddy.

I misunderstood you. My point to yours would be making it whiff punishable with how reactable it is diminishes its utility a lot

Wigy

There it is...
Use this example.
[Full Screen apart]
Takeda- Jumps

An acid spit in that situation would blow him up.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Use this example.
[Full Screen apart]
Takeda- Jumps

And? All that would happen in that interaction is both players would gain meter. As many players have stated, there are PLENTY of counters for any takeda getting too flow charty, hell you can see me doing it on stream at the last EGP Toasty Tuesdays, I was really nervous so I got to flow charty, and Nubcakes jip me on reaction and stuffed my tornado kick EVERY TIME. If I whiff it, awesome I can backdash to get positioning just how I like. But to get there is risky, not to mention it is pretty much my tool as a lasher player that is primarily used for adjusting my spacing and getting in, and even then it is really risky every time I do it. Making it really punishable on whiff would be a HUGE detriment to lasher while it would not really affect the other variations at all. It is the same as when they nerfed dragons fire and it killed dualist in the process. You are taking away my limited options with by limiting my already limited move even more. Lasher can definitely hold his own, he doesn't absolutely need tornado kick, however is it very helpful. Taking that away is needlessly making it harder on the lasher players, while not affecting the other variations at all.

MrProfDrPepper

Doesn't b12 catch jumping?
I think you mean b21 but yes it does, however no one really uses it due to how inconsistent it is, since you need to press 1 in the b21 string VERY early so it makes it just an easily reactable high low situation and if they jump then won't get caught by the kunais so you are left with a short combo due to the intensified gravity from starting the combo when you jumped

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
And? All that would happen in that interaction is both players would gain meter. As many players have stated, there are PLENTY of counters for any takeda getting too flow charty, hell you can see me doing it on stream at the last EGP Toasty Tuesdays, I was really nervous so I got to flow charty, and Nubcakes jip me on reaction and stuffed my tornado kick EVERY TIME. If I whiff it, awesome I can backdash to get positioning just how I like. But to get there is risky, not to mention it is pretty much my tool as a lasher player that is primarily used for adjusting my spacing and getting in, and even then it is really risky every time I do it. Making it really punishable on whiff would be a HUGE detriment to lasher while it would not really affect the other variations at all. It is the same as when they nerfed dragons fire and it killed dualist in the process. You are taking away my limited options with by limiting my already limited move even more. Lasher can definitely hold his own, he doesn't absolutely need tornado kick, however is it very helpful. Taking that away is needlessly making it harder on the lasher players, while not affecting the other variations at all.

But the point I am trying to make, is that all of the takeda players are simply stating just AA me out of the animation, It is not possible when you do the move on reaction and you make the move whiff. I totally understand if you commit and go max range.

I am not saying the move should be punishable enough on whiff wherever you land it should be punishable or anything like that.

Maybe they can decrease the startup on the move a bit and increase the recovery frames for more of a balance.

MrProfDrPepper

But the point I am trying to make, is that all of the takeda players are simply stating just AA me out of the animation, It is not possible when you do the move on reaction and you make the move whiff. I totally understand if you commit and go max range.

I am not saying the move should be punishable enough on whiff wherever you land it should be punishable or anything like that.

Maybe they can decrease the startup on the move a bit and increase the recovery frames for more of a balance.
But how is it a problem? He isn't damaging you, he is implementing mind games yes, but why does something that lands nowhere near you need to be punished? I use it for positioning purposes. Basically something that is an absolute necessity in lasher, what your are asking for is to literally make the move useless EXCEPT for on the hardest of reads. Why? Why can't it have other utility, the rest of takedas moves are death on whiff why does this one need to be death on whiff too?

I don t really see the problem with it If I am reacting to a mistake you it s on you not me. From what I can get you want to be at an advantage even after messing up is that right?

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
How do you hold the kunai and press b12? Unless you mean b21.

There is ways to get out of it all
I think you mean b21 but yes it does, however no one really uses it due to how inconsistent it is, since you need to press 1 in the b21 string VERY early so it makes it just an easily reactable high low situation and if they jump then won't get caught by the kunais so you are left with a short combo due to the intensified gravity from starting the combo when you jumped
Yeah, I wasnt sure what the exact input it was, since I don;t play him. Well, I do realize its quite an input to execute, but I faced some people who could succefully do it, true sometimes they get punished for trying to go for it, but still it doesn't justify it. To me that's the only issue with Takeda, but for all I care , It can stay the way it is, hell even Quan Chi's hard to blockables were just fine by me, since I used to rape him when his turn was over. xD

Use this example.
[Full Screen apart]
Takeda- Jumps

I understand your point, fair enough but Shirai Ryu has good anti zoning by design and I don't think theres a good enough reason to take that away. I am a Takeda main though so naturally i'm biased AF

Edit: and in that situation, most Takedas would opt to teleport on reaction instead and get the combo/block pressure

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I don t really see the problem with it If I am reacting to a mistake you it s on you not me. From what I can get you want to be at an advantage even after messing up is that right?
I only want to be at advantage because you didn't commit to the full length version. When you could of punished me in that particular situation.

MrProfDrPepper

Yeah, I wasnt sure what the exact input it was, since I don;t play him. Well, I do realize its quite an input to execute, but I faced some people who could succefully do it, true sometimes they get punished for trying to go for it, but still it doesn't justify it. To me that's the only issue with Takeda, but for all I care , It can stay the way it is, hell even Quan Chi's hard to blockables were just fine by me, since I used to rape him when his turn was over. xD
To be honest I couldn't care less if the kunai hard to blockables were gone since they don't really benefit my variation very much, only Shirai ryu. But once someone suggests something they will fuck up my baby lasher, I'm not letting that slide because any nerfs, and he will no longer be good, any buffs, and he would be too good, lasher is in this nice little sweet spot of high mid tier.

MrProfDrPepper

I only want to be at advantage because you didn't commit to the full length version. When you could of punished me in that particular situation.
Once again, the problem with this is that you are not nerfing the variation you want to nerf, you are nerfing the one that no one pays attention to, the under rated one. This nerf would be shrugged off by the other two variations, while lasher that would make his life WAY harder, and in your example, I would do that simply to get positioning, I trade damage for positioning as a punish, is that not fair? Hell I do this with my bnbs too, instead of damage I go with positioning.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
To be honest I couldn't care less if the kunai hard to blockables were gone since they don't really benefit my variation very much, only Shirai ryu. But once someone suggests something they will fuck up my baby lasher, I'm not letting that slide because any nerfs, and he will no longer be good, any buffs, and he would be too good, lasher is in this nice little sweet spot of high mid tier.
Yeah, I understand, I symphatize with you, Dragon's Fire nerfs got Dualist even worse when the last patch came in, even though it got some compensation buffs, It still was quite a blow. I almost droped him.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Its only op when people sit there and try blocking it which is somthing you never actually have to do.
Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm still learning to play against the character, but isn't the point of the mix-up that you need to make a read on whether he is going to pop it off the bat and block low, or go for the hard to blockable and jump out?

Good normals, safe kunai, and great damage. Why does he need a meterless safe way to get in even if he wiffs
I think this is exactly it, and what people are missing. Yeah the safe ball doesn't make him OP or a top tier character and has little effect on balance for most of the cast. However, there is some members of the cast that it is just poor design against, you can't play any sort of zoning game against him because of it especially since he can use it while airborne. Plus, he already has a TP to get in in one variation, and a reflect to deal with zoning in another. It would make the character more cohesive and make gameplay a better design in some more niche match-ups, without really hurting the character very much competitively. I think this would be a great change for the sake of the game and making less aggressive, reactive playstyles somewhat more viable. Even if it's only punishable on whiff.

Wigy

There it is...
Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm still learning to play against the character, but isn't the point of the mix-up that you need to make a read on whether he is going to pop it off the bat and block low, or go for the hard to blockable and jump out?

I think this is exactly it, and what people are missing. Yeah the safe ball doesn't make him OP or a top tier character and has little effect on balance for most of the cast. However, there is some members of the cast that it is just poor design against, you can't play any sort of zoning game against him because of it especially since he can use it while airborne. Plus, he already has a TP to get in in one variation, and a reflect to deal with zoning in another. It would make the character more cohesive and make gameplay a better design in some more niche match-ups, without really hurting the character very much competitively. I think this would be a great change for the sake of the game and making less aggressive, reactive playstyles somewhat more viable. Even if it's only punishable on whiff.
What characters who rely on zoning cant zone cause or the airball